Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times

Advertisements

PJG66-----------Be careful! My Mississippi grandfather once told me "if you are walking down the street and come upon an idiot arguing with a genius, you wont be able to tell which is which!" Your post makes too much sense for an idiot to understand. Be careful you arent sucked into an argument with an idiot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM

211 posts, read 548,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I see we have another TV guide psychologist. Watch a few episodes of CSI, House and Dexter and you're ready to diagnose the world.

Most of society recognizes there are problem children we can do without. We put them in prisons. And if we were allowed to have popular votes to resolve problems (crime, welfare, poor parenting, immigration, etc) you would see massive radical changes.

And while you sit there with your TV education, how about you learn a bit about the world. There's a little country called Singapore that decided to not be a poor 3rd world cesspool. The first thing they addressed was the problem children of their society. After that it was much easier to make great advances in all other areas of life. Now it is one of the lowest crime, highest educated and best places to live in all of Asia. It's also one of the few places that has radical diversity with very little issues from it.

BTW, I love the psych exam comment. Tell me, besides the knowledge that you were born with, do you have any reference for your comments about military entrance standards? No needs to answer since everything you said was pretty much false.

1.) Egomaniac, Narcissist: Assuming, among other things, that anyone besides yourself who is intelligent couldn't possibly have acquired it through means of a REAL education. That is simply smoke and mirrors to distract from the issue at hand, namely your sociopathy. I majored in Criminal Justice to become a Profiler with the FBI. I have interviewed a serial killer and studied countless others. No TV Guide required.

2.) Reference for military entrance standards? Hmmm, let me think....um, my husband is a former Marine. Although I believe their standards are much more stringent than the Navy, so I'll give you that point.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
PJG66-----------Be careful! My Mississippi grandfather once told me "if you are walking down the street and come upon an idiot arguing with a genius, you wont be able to tell which is which!" Your post makes too much sense for an idiot to understand. Be careful you arent sucked into an argument with an idiot!
Excellent advice, Capt. Dan. I plan to take it.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Excellent advice, Capt. Dan. I plan to take it.
Youre welcome!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Yes, Darlingest! There's just something about the state that you can't ever get out of your system....sort of like Malaria...
Just when I thought Mississippi had seen the last of GrandviewGloria, she shows back up.....sort of like herpes...

In case you were unaware, your ex-home of Madison just got a new shopping destination. I've attached a photo showing a portion of the new development. It has brick and columns, so I think you'll like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I don't like Mississippi-dscf2037.jpg  

Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM

179 posts, read 141,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I see we have another TV guide psychologist. Watch a few episodes of CSI, House and Dexter and you're ready to diagnose the world.

Most of society recognizes there are problem children we can do without. We put them in prisons. And if we were allowed to have popular votes to resolve problems (crime, welfare, poor parenting, immigration, etc) you would see massive radical changes.

And while you sit there with your TV education, how about you learn a bit about the world. There's a little country called Singapore that decided to not be a poor 3rd world cesspool. The first thing they addressed was the problem children of their society. After that it was much easier to make great advances in all other areas of life. Now it is one of the lowest crime, highest educated and best places to live in all of Asia. It's also one of the few places that has radical diversity with very little issues from it.

BTW, I love the psych exam comment. Tell me, besides the knowledge that you were born with, do you have any reference for your comments about military entrance standards? No needs to answer since everything you said was pretty much false.

I have also seen much as you have...I've been to Petal, MS (I thought I was in the movie "Grapes of Wrath") so I feel I can say I agree with your post. I have also travelled many of the citites that felt much like I was back in South America (been to Belize and Honduras and Mexico and Brazil and Panama) and a lot (re:most) of Mississippi bring back such memories. How can anyone possibly name their newborn daughter "Annasteeja" or "Fe'male"?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM

352 posts, read 780,536 times
Well, despite some of the negative posts in this thread, I'll be visiting Mississippi for the first time this Friday and I'm really looking forward to it!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM

211 posts, read 548,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
Well, despite some of the negative posts in this thread, I'll be visiting Mississippi for the first time this Friday and I'm really looking forward to it!

Me too!!!!! On our way now!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM

371 posts, read 393,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
1.) I majored in Criminal Justice to become a Profiler with the FBI. I have interviewed a serial killer and studied countless others. No TV Guide required.

I am a 30-something homeschooling mom of 5 beautiful kiddos, and a wife of 17+ years to my handsome hubby. I am a Christian, saved for nearly 16 years and I love sharing my testimony with people. I am an antique and B&B nut who collects handbags and I love to travel!
Nice careful choosing of words. I notice that you never worked for the FBI, just wanted to. Maybe you've seen Mindhunters one too many times?

How long did you attend before you dropped out of college? Let me guess, you didn't "drop out", but "chose a different path in life".

By the way, here is a post where you can find people like you:
//www.city-data.com/forum/true-crime/196468-what-goes-mind-sociopath.html

It's a series of women that play pschologist by diagnosing men they don't like as a sociopath. According to people like you there's a massive outbreak of sociopathes that are sweeping America.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:29 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Gosh--around this country there are lots of backward off the beaten path places with a hillbilly population. Anyone who thinks it is the exclusive province of Ms is mistaken. Anyone who thinks Ms doesn't have some population that is provincial and out of touch is mistaken. Anyone who thinks there aren't delightful aspects to living in Ms is also mistaken.

Sometimes you have to get to know the trees before you can appreciate the forest. When I first came to Ms I was struck by the seeming lack of sophistication and roughhewn shabby-looking towns. This is what a newcomer might still notice to some degree though areas along the coast, near Memphis, and in the mid-central and south regions are booming and have that Sunbelt glow.

However, as I settled in here I came to meet and know individuals who didn't fit that stereotype and saw places that were actually quite beautiful--areas that have lovely homes and gardens and lakes and woodlands. Ms is green and bright and has clear blue skies year round. Most importantly--the tradition of manners permeates the society of even the most simple Mississippian and when dealing with people in all walks of life the good cheer and the kindness is everpresent. That is what I came to love about the place.

The first thing I noticed years ago was when I would call a store to ask if they had something and they would ask all around about where I could find it elsewhere if they didn't stock it. How they would express regret about it. In my native city, unfortunately, they would practically hang up on me. Then as time went on many other examples of politeness ensued. It became a part of everyday life. Why recently I was getting out my car--and I am not decrepit-looking, two young men who had walked past ran back to the entrance and held the door for me. Doctors, dentists, salespersons, and service deliverers all have the same good dispositions--very few exceptions. It is like living among a positive happy force. Far more important than "shopping" or whatever else you deem Ms is deficient in.

But as I have said in other posts--if you are educated and have a good income your life in Ms can be as full of cultural pursuits, travel opportunities, and good taste unrivalled anywhere---a high quality of life--but you have to get to know the trees--and that takes a little time--and it requires some discretion about where and with whom you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi