Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 01:17 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,191,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I haven't heard anything about it. If anything, I would expect these places to get MLB: Portland,OR;Charlotte,NC;San Antonio,TX;Sacramento,CA.
Sacramento is not far from the Bay Area with two teams (Giants and Athletics), unless maybe you think the Athletics would consider moving there. I doubt MLB would put a third team in northern California.

The other three cities should be strong candidates as they already have a good track record supporting a major league team (Portland Trailblazers, Charlotte Panthers, San Antonio Spurs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM

58 posts, read 138,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I would ordinarily tell someone to give every new place at least a year before reaching the conclusion to leave or stay, but with this long list you obviously have already made up your mind. You have lived in some very nice places in the past, so Mississippi was sort of behind the eight ball right from the start in measuring up. To offset lack of activities, you could consider relocating to a town in the state's northwest corner within easy drive of Memphis, TN. Olive Branch, MS is about 20 miles from Memphis.

I have no suggestions regarding your other observations and seriously doubt anyone will be able to talk you into staying. Mississippi is obviously not for you. As for fishing, Minnesota where I grew up has great freshwater fishing. Of course, then you would have to deal with cold winters and with your previously living in Florida and Hawaii, don't know if that would be your cup of tea either.

Good luck in your new town (once your tour is complete)!
This thread is 4 years old, I'm sure the OP is long gone...to his delight.

Btw, the "I heard Jackson is is getting a (any major league sports franchise)" is funny.
I guess people who hear and or believe that, have no clue what it takes to support such things.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:41 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,191,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bonze View Post
This thread is 4 years old, I'm sure the OP is long gone...to his delight.

Btw, the "I heard Jackson is is getting a (any major league sports franchise)" is funny.
I guess people who hear and or believe that, have no clue what it takes to support such things.
It is easy to forget to check that. I usually do, but forgot this time. Thanks.

I agree about Jackson, too. It would probably need another 250,000 people in the metro area to even be considered. The "Green Bay" thing (they got their team around 1960 I believe) does not happen these days. Pro sports today is more corporate/big business oriented with huge salaries, and far more expensive stadiums, etc. Small and even mid-sized areas do not generally get teams.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 PM

560 posts, read 785,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Fuhball? Someone wants to argue about Fuhball?

We (Mississippi) have one of the worst education track records in the country. It cost a bleeding FORTUNE to build all those stadiums, overpay all those coaches and run those school buses all over hell's half acre. And for what!?
So that some dimwit kid can dream about playing in the NFL or NBA instead of getting a real job?

Can you imagine how much our education system would improve if intramural sports did not exist? Can you imagine how much better off our kids would be if every kid was taught the value of exercise and healthy competition, and spent 45 minutes a day expressing that knowledge in the school gym? As it is, a few kids get to participate, and they are handled in town and newspapers as victorious gladiators of some sort, thereby destroying their chances for a real future.

It ought to be a crime.
The following video clearly demonstrates the need for intramural/recreational sports. Just look at them go! Look at the expressions of joy on their faces! Now this is healthy competition. And, if I'm not mistaken, one of them is even a stock broker.Monty Python - The Upper-Class Twit Of The Year - YouTube

Last edited by Seadory; 05-09-2014 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 03:12 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,889,371 times
In the dirty (poorest state in the nation), we have two 60K+ seat football stadiums (with luxury boxes, etc.), used 7-8 times per year, within 90 miles of each other. However, because we just happen to be in the SEC, our TV payout covers a lot of expenses.

Also, the amount of money we spend on junior college athletics is crazy, 15 JCs with football and a wide range of other sports (all athletic events are very sparsely attended). We certainly have our priorities out of order.

I am a huge MSU football fan, but even I would be willing to merge all these into one system and have one sports program between MSU and UM. Yearly, we would compete for the Nat Championship in football and baseball.

Landmass University!

Old 05-09-2014, 04:16 PM

560 posts, read 785,514 times
By the way, I agree with Listener. Well, mostly. I love pro. football.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:22 PM

534 posts, read 904,286 times
Default Exactly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No. This someone is way too old for a scholarship. But your comment reflects the view promoted by universities and fans that football is somehow good for education, or maybe just profitable for the universities. Neither is the case.
You have identified the problem that plaques America and is the reason we are slipping into a third world status. Were society to ignore sports and in its place elevate scholarship, we could have heaven on earth.

We are the nation of professional wrestling.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
You have identified the problem that plaques America and is the reason we are slipping into a third world status. Were society to ignore sports and in its place elevate scholarship, we could have heaven on earth.

We are the nation of professional wrestling.
Oh, God! I wish that were not quite so true.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,634 times
I am an Australian and hope to rent a car and drive around rural Mississippi. How would I get to meet the locals and would I be well treated. I am white so could look like anybody from elsewhere in the U.S.A. ..... until I started talking!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:45 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denismack View Post
I am an Australian and hope to rent a car and drive around rural Mississippi. How would I get to meet the locals and would I be well treated. I am white so could look like anybody from elsewhere in the U.S.A. ..... until I started talking!
I thought Aussies all looked like Nicole Kidman and Russel Crowe and would be easy to spot....

Actually, I do have some ideas for meeting people and seeing Mississippi through a better lens.
Tell me how old you are, and what brings you to America and so forth. We'll go from there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi