Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 AM

11 posts, read 13,753 times

Advertisements

I am all for change! There was nothing in my comment stating otherwise. My point was, the OP appears quite miserable here and with how he's blasting out Mississippi for all he perceives it to be makes those of us that love this state frown. Therefore, when he leaves, we will all be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
And there you have it, a perfect example of the problem. No one here is interested in anything changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devadoll View Post
I am all for change! There was nothing in my comment stating otherwise. My point was, the OP appears quite miserable here and with how he's blasting out Mississippi for all he perceives it to be makes those of us that love this state frown. Therefore, when he leaves, we will all be happier.
You may want to notice that OP made his comments in 2010, and hasn't posted on City-Data since 2011. That was long before Neshomamench arrived in the state to save us all.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:08 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Has "Neshomensch" offered up his suggestions as to what he would like to see in Mississippi?

I don't like people who don't like Mississippi.
When you're running down my state, boy, you're walking on the fighting side of me!

Old 07-22-2015, 04:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Has "Neshomensch" offered up his suggestions as to what he would like to see in Mississippi?

When you're running down my state, boy, you're walking on the fighting side of me!
Yes, I have offered a number of ideas. I have to live here as well. I dont want it to be horrible but by many statistical metrics, it doesnt matter how any of us feel, Mississippi rates very poorly or worst. It has for a very long time and all things taken into account, it will for a long time going forward.

People here blame the wrong things, ignore a lot of the real problems and enough people dont want anything to change that it doesnt.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:42 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You may want to notice that OP made his comments in 2010, and hasn't posted on City-Data since 2011. That was long before Neshomamench arrived in the state to save us all.
I cant save you, few people are interest in change here. Why would I fight so hard for so little when so many other places make it so much easier to enjoy life and succeed.

What I can do is offer an honest perspective. My perspective is pretty important for those who want positive change. I am not looking to change anyone's beliefs, but the idea of being so hostile to outsiders and resistant to change and the horrid state of racial affairs means people like me, a person with investment dollars and a background of success who is married to a doctor are the kind of people who can contribute to making a place better. Mississippi keeps running people like me and my wife off and when her contract is up, that is what will happen.

...and it isnt about me. It is about thousands of people like me. I move in investment circles, my wife moves in medical circles, what do you think all the people who have had my experience here tell people when the topic of Mississippi comes up? So much lost opportunity for Mississippi.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

You know, you oughta write a song about that.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You know, you oughta write a song about that.
Merle Haggard already did, in a broader sense.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:53 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
State pride is all well and good, but there is no denying that Mississippi has its share of problems. The biggest one is the resistance to any change that would bring about an improvement in citizen's lives.

Having lived in Mississippi for 6 years, there's a lot of nice things I could say about the state and its people. But to deny the state has a serious public image problem (some undeserved; some well deserved) is just delusional. My biggest issue was that the people had no genuine curiosity about the world around them - they were very insular and tied up with their own little world. The thought of doing anything different or exposing them to any ideas that weren't held by their parents and grandparents was met with resistance and resentment.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:09 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Yes, I have offered a number of ideas. I have to live here as well. I dont want it to be horrible but by many statistical metrics, it doesnt matter how any of us feel, Mississippi rates very poorly or worst. It has for a very long time and all things taken into account, it will for a long time going forward.

People here blame the wrong things, ignore a lot of the real problems and enough people dont want anything to change that it doesnt.
Maybe it's because the "wrong" British people migrated to the South - the aristocratic Cavaliers, their indentured servants, and the conflict-loving folks from the British borderlands (n. England, Scotland, and Ireland). NOT the meritocracy-loving Puritans and peace-loving Quakers who settled in the North. I just read some of Albion's Seed, a good book which helps explain the sectional differences that are in the U.S.

Nor did the South in general have much immigration from a people who highly valued secular education and had an affinity for the oppressed since they were oppressed themselves (Eastern European Jews).

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 07-23-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 11:36 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
So we're still hearing about all this "resistance to change" and "ignoring problems", stuff. And how each of us is "part of the problem".

That's all a little generic, at least for me.

Albion's Seed sounds like a good book. I just finished "Dead Wake" and "Isaak's Storm" by Erik Larson. If Albion's Seed keeps me up late at night, I'll be pleased.
I'm a strong believer in genetic predisposition; I am also of the belief that each of us is doing the best he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi