U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 PM

198 posts, read 393,020 times

Advertisements

I have to be traveling mid January from WV to TX. Will be driving. Thinking of maybe stopping and spending a couple of days somewhere along the way. Anyplace interesting in MS that someone might recommend? I'll be traveling down 55 out of TN towards Jackson. I don't mind going a little ways out from the interstate, but don't want to venture more than an hour or so. I would like to be around the MS river. I was kind of thinking about Natchez, but really don't know much about MS. Can anybody make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM

371 posts, read 370,839 times
I suggest driving a little faster and heading to NOLA for those 2 days. I just spent 4 days there and it was pretty quiet and discounted heavily due to off season.

But if you are into Civil War history I'd say stop for a day in MS. Vicksburg had some interesting sights. If you see the cemetaries be sure to check out one that has Confederate soldiers, they will have flowers/flags/etc while the Union guys are pretty well forgotten.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,928,398 times
Natchez is lovely. Monmouth Plantation is a gorgeous hotel on the outskirts of downtown, as is Devereaux. Vicksburg is also interesting, in particular the scenic national military park.

If you like walking and nature, the Clark Creek natural area about an hour south of Natchez near Woodville is a area of scenic deeply wooded, steep trails and water falls.

Oxford is also extremely charming and lively as a university town. Going through Jackson, there is a great little area to stay at the hotels and do some shopping and restaurants (right off I-55 in Ridgeland, areas called the Renaissance and the Township).

If you can make it over to the Coast, Bay St. Louis is charming, Pass Christian is scenic, and Ocean Springs is trendy, sort of an Oxford on the beach.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 PM

22,276 posts, read 13,807,531 times
Are you headed toward Dallas area or are you going to Houston area?

It makes a difference because you will leave the state either on I-20 headed toward Dallas or on I-55 South into Louisiana and on to Houston.

If you are going South, take the Natchez Trace to Natchez. It's a long, skinny national park, and very pleasant.

But if you're going to Dallas, you'll want to visit Vicksburg.

Either way, stop in Jackson.

Heh, heh....what Randy said about Vicksburg. Very true. The opposite of what you find in Gettysburg.

Hope you have good weather.....we usually do.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:35 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,950,338 times
I suggest Natchez, Vicksburg and/or Port Gibson.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 AM

I am going to Houston. I had already found Monmouth Plantation online and was thinking of making a reservation there. Thanks for the replies. I will check out the places mentioned above. Anybody else?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:48 AM

I've done a little bit of looking at the suggestions given. Natchez, Port Gibson and Vicksburg all look nice. I think if I am right that Natchez and Vicksburg on both on the river but Port Gibson is not. Please correct me if I am wrong. How long of a drive is it from Jackson to Vicksburg? How about from Vicksburg to Natchez? The suggestion to drive part of the Natchez Trace is a good one. Does it take you to Vicksburg or is that off the path?

We'll be arriving late on a Saturday evening and checking out to head towards Houston on a Tuesday morning. So that will give us 2 full days (Sunday and Monday) in MS. Is there enough to do in Natchez for 2 days or would it be feasible to do one day in Natchez and one day in Vicksburg or ???? Close enough together to stay somewhere (and avoid the loading and unloading of the car) and just drive between them or stay the first night in Vicksburg and then move to Natchez for the second night or stay in Port Gibson which kind of looks to be midpoint for V and N?? Or just do either V or N and save the other for a future trip down that way which is a couple times a year?

Sorry for so many questions but your replies so far have been quite helpful. You guys know the area. Hope you don't mind helping a little more.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 PM

Two days is about right for Natchez and Vicksburg. You can move at a leisurely pace. Downtown Natchez is very charming but quiet and especially this time of year. A number of the mansions in Natchez are open year-round for tours. There are restaurants and bars downtown. If you're staying at Monmouth, it's so nice you might not want to leave the hotel at all.

Vicksburg is an hour north and Port Gibson is about half way, a nice place for a stroll. There is also the Ruins of Windsor near Port Gibson which is interesting, one of the largest mansions in the state in the 1800s that burned but left standing are the huge columns that lined all 4 sides. That's worth the side trip, just a few minutes from Port Gibson.

Vicksburg is not quite as elegant as Natchez, a mix of modern and historic, of rich and poor all intertwined. However, it's arguably more interesting. The battlefields and monuments are beautiful. There are cemeteries and a few antebellum homes open for tours. Fort Hill in the national park offers a great view 300 feet above the river. Downtown is walkable and has a few stores and restaurants to check out.

The Natchez Trace is pleasant; you could take part of it north from Nathez for the scenery and then exit to head back towards Vicksburg. If you're a history buff, to the south of Natchez is tiny Woodville, known for its collection of small, historic churches, some of the oldest in Mississippi. And if you love small towns, B

Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 PM

If you love small towns, Brookhaven is also quite beautiful with elegant old homes with huge hards and draping Oaks running along Natchez Ave and into the little downtown area which is thriving. That's along I-55 at the turn-off to Natchez.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 PM

Thank you so much. This information is extremely helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi