Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,770 times

Advertisements

If you're primary concern is wheter or not you will find plenty of wealthy friends and be able to drive your luxury car without shame, you can certainly do that in Ocean Springs, Biloxi, Bay St. Louis or the Pass. You won't be shunned for your "wealthy" $250k income...

However, the coast is a tight knit group, especially the Biloxi area, and if you don't have one of the old biloxi last names, you will find a hard time cracking the shell to the world of the wealthy here. Your tax bracket alone doesn't do it.

By the way, to be considered wealthy on the coast, you better have $1m to lay down on a nice 60' viking that burns $2000 in diesel and $500+ a month in slip fees....the big boys down here won't be impressed by a BMW.

I'd suggest you just learn to make friends for who they are, rather than their perceived status. You will have a much better life. Move to Madison, MS if you want to impress people solely with your BMW and overstretched mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,692 times
I just moved here from Chapel Hill North Carolina. I built a beach house 2 years ago because I knew that retirement was around the corner. I have been in Waveland, Mississippi now for 6 months and would not want to be any where else. God will take care of me and I am going to use a little common since like keep insurance and leave when it is time to go. Living in a rich area is not just about money, it is the quality of life when your neighbor cares about you as a person and you can go to Wal Mart and everyone talks to you, that is Rich!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I've been to West Point, and Im not saying every resident or area there is wealthy.

Ever heard of Old Waverly? I highly doubt it was established by poor, uneducated people.

Also, Natchez once had more millionaires than any city other than NYC.

Mississippi may have pockets of high poverty, but don't let the rankings fool you into thinking that the state doesn't have its fair share of wealthy residents.
Natchez had so many millionaires because of the cotton industry. People made money in cotton. People made money selling slaves. There were 340 planters that each owned 250 or more slaves.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM

106 posts, read 398,920 times
Smile Rich Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoatney View Post
I just moved here from Chapel Hill North Carolina. I built a beach house 2 years ago because I knew that retirement was around the corner. I have been in Waveland, Mississippi now for 6 months and would not want to be any where else. God will take care of me and I am going to use a little common since like keep insurance and leave when it is time to go. Living in a rich area is not just about money, it is the quality of life when your neighbor cares about you as a person and you can go to Wal Mart and everyone talks to you, that is Rich!
"Rich area" and "Wal-mart"????? - Sounds a bit contradictory.

"God will take care of me." ---- Duh, since when? God doesn't take care of those who get cancer, or those whose homes are destroyed by hurricanes and tornados, etc, etc, etc, etc. As you said, insurance is your best protection

Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 AM

286 posts, read 209,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
Another question.... I'm from South Carolina but have always been fascinated by the state of Mississippi. What is the richest area in the state? I would imagine a suburb of Jackson... but I may be wrong. Something close to a decent sized city, that is safe and decently educated? (have to say "decent" when talking bout the South!)
There's tons of "Old Money" in every crevace of the state of Mississippi. But it's not in the state's hands. It's privately owned.

So from Jackson to Coldwater, bricks to the sticks, you can bump into a "country millionaire" in Mississippi and not even know it.

How they got all that money is whole other topic though.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
The absolute richest neighborhood in the state is Eastover.
I see your Eastover and I raise you Allandale. much better/newer homes and better location to the highway. Eastover is old school since Jackson was first built and doesn't live up to the hype people give it anyway.

Quote:
But Madison is definitely your best bet, if you have to live in Mississippi:
Only because of the Rez and Allandale. without those, Madison is just a country suburb on the outskirts of Jackson.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM

468 posts, read 786,415 times
I guess the best way to answer the question about wealth and education in different areas of Mississippi is to look through the most recent Census data. God bless.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I guess the best way to answer the question about wealth and education in different areas of Mississippi is to look through the most recent Census data. God bless.
It won't give a clue of the magnitude of "rich old money areas" in Mississippi. For that you have to know people and ask around alot.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
I see your Eastover and I raise you Allandale. much better/newer homes and better location to the highway. Eastover is old school since Jackson was first built and doesn't live up to the hype people give it anyway.

Only because of the Rez and Allandale. without those, Madison is just a country suburb on the outskirts of Jackson.
Do you mean 'Annandale'? With the ugly clubhouse and the crumbling streets? (It was out in the County when it was built, and the streets, supposedly, were not built 'to standards'). Annandale looks bleak, to me. The soil looks poor and parched, and the 'estates' are woefully under-landscaped. Eastover, by contrast, is landscaped to the hilt, and the foliage looks healthy and verdant. Eastover money won't move to Madison, until it becomes too dangerous to drive through Jackson...but that's right around the corner. I know one Eastover Multimillionaire who is completely paralyzed, because a car load of 'Democrats' plowed into his car at some insane speed.

Madison, btw, has a lot more going for it than just the Reservoir. They don't call it The Beverly Hills of the Bible Belt for nothing. The merch in the stores may be calibrated to Mississippi-size incomes, but the buildings rival (or surpass) anything you'll see on Rodeo Drive. Where else can you go and shop for bargains at a store like this?:
What is the Most Educated, Rich Area in Mississippi?-forum-steinmart-madison.jpg

And where else can you go to a chain drugstore, and feel pampered walking into a building like this?:
What is the Most Educated, Rich Area in Mississippi?-breezeway-between-cvs-gym.jpg Well, there are places, but you have to Greenwich Connecticut rich, to be able to afford living in them. In Madison, you can be an ordinary person of ordinary means, and still be good enough to saunter past real Verde Marble, on your way to pick up your prescription.

I'm waiting for good photos of the new Kroger, which has raised the bar even higher than the buildings I'm showing here. Every time we fly in, there's something new, that's better than anything we ever expected to see in Mississippi.

Madison makes the absolute best of what they have to work with. What they've done seems just plain miraculous, to me. That ability to buck the mediocrity (and 'mediocre' is a kind word for it) of the status quo in Mississippi is Madison's great asset. Certainly, it's a greater asset than is being sandwiched between a (big) lake and a (famous) golf course. We moved to the richest town in Oregon (a far richer state than is Mississippi, in a far richer corner of the nation). Our 'minority' status got us fast-tracked into a fabulous and exclusive athletic club (So much for 'White Privilege'). The wealth in the region supports better food/merch in our local shops. And the climate allows me to grow things I could only dream about in Mississippi (Lilacs, Fuchsias, Rhododendrons...).

But we've kept a big building site in Madison. It's being groomed by an Arborist, and the forest floor is being enriched by a native plants expert. The soil is good, and it will not take long to build a duplicate of the house we're constructing out here, if we want to. Our kids are assembling parcels for their own homes, in old neighborhoods in the middle of town. We foresee a downward shift in the Pacific Northwest's demographics, and if this happens as dramatically as it did in Southern California, we'll fly back to our perch in Mississippi. Time will tell...

Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
If you like the CVS in Madison with the Corinthian columns, you're going to adore the new Kroger which looks like the Roman coliseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi