U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 24,192 times

Advertisements

I have researched Horn Lake, Olive Branch ,Hernando, and Southhaven to death and can't seem to decide which is the better place to live and raise 4 small children.Any help would be appreciated. My husband is relocating to Memphis and we would prefer to live in a small town.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 PM

442 posts, read 1,996,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aams4 View Post
I have researched Horn Lake, Olive Branch ,Hernando, and Southhaven to death and can't seem to decide which is the better place to live and raise 4 small children.Any help would be appreciated. My husband is relocating to Memphis and we would prefer to live in a small town.

Thanks
My vote is Horn Lake.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 AM

7 posts, read 25,366 times
aams4, where are you from?
Every one has different opinion, but HornLake would be my "no way Jose". Well, also depend on your budget.
Desoto county offerred a wide range of choices. HornLake, Southaven, OB are bordering to Memphis, so should be shorter distance for your husband to work. If you plan to have your children attend public schools, I think Southaven, Snowden Grove area is your best choice. For around 300K home there, you will get a best growing area in the county , best public schools (private school also available), close to Memphis amenities (so close to Memphis Distribution Center), very safe (not much crime here) and still very country living (Acre lot still available with tree)
Wish you all the luck.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM

That helps alot. We are just looking for the best and safest place to live.
I have contacted the Chamber of Commerce in each area and did not see any differences. I have never been to Southhaven but we have driven through Olive Branch and Horn Lake on 2 different road trips. We didn't stop so we didn't see much and at the time had no idea that my husband would be transferred to this area.
It's stressful trying to relocate so I appreciate your insight.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Bull777 ,I forgot to mention that we are in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:24 PM

442 posts, read 1,996,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aams4 View Post
Bull777 ,I forgot to mention that we are in Salt Lake City, Utah.
I love SLC and Park City. My husband and I vacationed there 3 years ago and would really love to relocate to that area. If you even remotely expect MS to be anything like SLC, it's sad to say that you will be greatly dissappointed.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM

376 posts, read 1,664,762 times
None of those will be small towns for long as they are very rapidly growing. If you want more of a small town where everyone knows everyone, then look at Hernando, though it is farther out. Arlington, TN has a good small town atmosphere.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 25,366 times
aams4, as tennreb mentioned
Yes, the county in whole is growing with speed, even Hernando (far south) will not be country living as well once they break ground with Cross Road development.
I used to live in San Jose CA, Houston TX, Phila PA, Memphis TN...and to be honest still think Desoto MS is one of the best place in the country to live and especially for family. I moved to Desoto from Memphis in 2004.
But before you consider MS vs TN (where your husband works)
On this side of the border (MS)
Con:
1. You have to pay for state income tax (mine $1700 more vs $0 in for TN)
2. Car license tax (mine is $650 vs $75 in TN)
Pro:
3. Property tax (240K home)for inside of Southaven city limit (mine around $2200 vs about $3400 if in Memphis, numbered estimated)
4. Crime is one of the reason why we moved south to Desoto MS and if you happen to see the man in uniform, he (them) look like to approaching FOR you if you would need help, a real public service here.
5. Schools: Again is the main reason why we moved south, Desoto public schools is one of the best in state and much better than Memphis public schools.

In general: Depending on your income and budgets.
- Hornlake is very crowd with many busy streets and so close to the worst area of Memphis (Whitehaven). Lower cost homes but Hornlake is no different than Memphis
- Hernando is a little too far for commute.
- Southaven and OliveBranch seem like your best bet. Avoid north of Goodman (HW 302), housing there is cheaper but too close to Memphis.
If I would recommend the area within so you can nail down your searches.
South of Goodman (Hwy 302), East of I-55, North of Byhalia (304) and West of Germantown (Hwy 305). This square area combine part of Southaven and part of OB. The best area to live and still so close to Memphis.
Check it out and welcome to the area.
Bull

Old 07-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the detailed information. I think Desoto county looks great on paper(the Chamber of Commerce books).
We have been looking for homes online but of course won't make a decicsion untile we actually come to town.
Thanks for the area details, we will keep that in mind.

Do you know when the elementary schools start in the area?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 11,281 times
We just moved here last week and I finished registering the kids for school yesterday at Desoto Central. School starts Aug. 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi