Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM

27 posts, read 99,869 times

Advertisements

We will be moving later this year and would like any information on the private schools in the Gulf Coast region. There seem to be a number of them and would appreciate any feedback positive or enlightening. Looking for info on the elementary Catholic schools and the to high schools OLA and St. Pat's. We would like to make a good decision as this may impact the location we choose at least at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,361 times
St. Patrick's has a brand-new campus is received this honor recently:

"St. Patrick Catholic High School in Biloxi has been listed among the top 50 Catholic high schools in the country, school officials said last week.
Bestowed by the National Catholic High School Honor Roll"

Westminster Academy is building a new campus in the very upscale Florence Gardens development in Gulfport north of I-10 and east of Hwy 49.

In Pass Christian, Coast Episcopal is a lovely elementary school. Across the bay in Bay St. Louis is St. Stanislaus which has a good reputation.

Not sure about Catholic elementary schools in the area but it's probably a safe guess that the better ones are located near the higher end neighborhoods which are largely in Gulfport (Bayou Oaks just north of Bayou Bernard where Biloxi Bay going west narrows into the bayou; and Florence Gardens and nearby subdivisions north of I-10)...and far north near St. Patrick's in a brand-new development called Tradition, in Pass Christian, and Ocean Springs.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Thank you for the helpful info about St. Patrick's, that really seems positive. Any information regarding elementary Catholic schools would also be appreciated. They seem to be in Long Beach, Bay St. Louis, Gulfport, Biloxi and D'Iberville.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 PM

St. Alphonsus is the Catholic elementary school in historic Ocean Springs, about a block from the beach. The neighborhood setting is like something out of a book. I would recommend you look at this one.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 23,405 times
I can give you some low-down on Catholic Elementary education in Harrison County, being that my children have been attending for 7 years.

At this time, all of the Catholic Elementary schools are south of I-10. My children attend St John Elementary, in downtown Gulfport, which will no longer be open after this school year. St John Elementary is a good school, but continuous declining enrollment (due to downtown location instead of residential area) is forcing a closure. This has led to My wife and I having to decide between two very good options.

St. Vincent de Paul, on the Pass Christian/Long Beach line has a wonderful new facility, being built as a result of Hurricane Katrina. Most kids attend St. Stanislaus (boys), or Our Lady Academy (girls), both in Bay St. louis.

St. James Elementary, in Gulfport, will be the only Gulfport option, after this school year. Children here feed St. Patricks High School, for 7-12 grades.

There are two schools in Biloxi, which also feed St Patrick's, that I know little about. Going on second hand opinion only, I'll offer that:
Our Lady of Fatima is the thriving elementary in Biloxi (much like St. James in Gulfport).
Nativity BVM Elementary, is the smaller enrollment school (like St. John in Gulfport). I hear enrollment there is in decline, as well. But, I have no factual data to back up that claim.

Here are some links to the Great Schools.org sites for each school:

Elementary Schools

St Vincent de Paul - Long Beach
St. James - Gulfport
Our Lady of Fatima Elementary - Biloxi
Nativity BVM Elementary - Biloxi

Middle/High Schools:

St. Stanislaus High School - Bay St. Louis (Boys)
Our Lady Academy - Bay St. Louis (Girls)
St Patrick's High School - Biloxi (actually, in the Master Planned Community of Tradition)

Hope I have been of some help...
Also, correct me if I have made errors, or omissions.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 PM

Thank you Guy D for your input. Your help is truly appreciated. I had actually looked at St. Vincent de Paul's website and St. John's. Very sorry to hear about it closing. Do you know anything about the grade school Holy Trinity in Bay St. Louis or Sacred Heart in D'Iberville?

Lastly, is Our Lady Academy is appropriate for the middle class working families or is it a school for families who are more affluent? I ask because it is easier on the children to place them with similar type families? Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:56 AM

7 posts, read 23,405 times
Beach Ball, sorry for the delay in replying.

The Catholic schools are a nice mix of classes, and I would consider the schools appropriate for anyone who has the desire to send their children there. While Catholic schools may seem the chosen option for the affluent, many "working class", and middle class families make the sacrifice to give our children a Catholic education.

Most parishes are somewhat willing to help the active parishioners in real need. Grade 1-6 schools are much cheaper than 7-12. So, the middle/high schools demand more of a sacrifice.

I hope I was of help.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,988 times
Can any one tell me the best and safe neighborhood is Biloxi to live I'm thing about relocating from tunica would love to live near beach or mall

Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 PM

For historic charm a couple of blocks from the beach, look at Father Ryan Avenue near the Biloxi Natatorium.

For larger, newer homes, try the neighborhoods on either side of Popps Ferry Rd between Pass Rd and the Back Bay of Biloxi.

You'll be a couple of minutes from the mall and the beach either way.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,071 times
Beach Ball,
I was recently looking at Catholic schools in the Biloxi/Keesler AFB area and saw your post. What did you decide to do? If you are now in the area, what have you heard about St Patrick's? It is quite expensive and I noticed that it begins with 7th grade. Our current Catholic school is K - 8 as are all of the elementary schools in our Diocese. I noticed this is not the case in Biloxi. Thanks for any info you can share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi