Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 AM

30 posts, read 59,194 times

Advertisements

Hello all the way from down here (there!)

I'm scouring the US forums in search of good information on some of my potential exchange universities. Firstly - the fundamentals! I'm 22 year old single male, graduated with a bachelor of communications and radio and have begun my masters in environmental educations. I'll be enrolling in the Fall of 2011. Music is massive to me, we play a lot of blues/folk/acoustic music down where I come from but I appreciate lots of styles of music especially acoustic. I'm extra out going and really relishing an amazing American experience meeting people and being active indoors as well as outdoors.

I'll plan to travel the states while at Oxford, so airports in the vicinity will probably be important. If not, how long, and how do I get to them?

I dare say environmental studies/education isn't big at Ole miss, though I'm also aware there are biological sciences. I'm convinced I won't be able to get much credit translated to my masters back in Sydney, Australia so I wouldn't mind doing some subjects in journalism/music/marine studies/reef ecology to enrichen my qualifications.

Lastly what's the city like!? I come from a very safe area in Sydney but it's also very pleasant. Do Mississippians take well to an Aussie accent? Haha

Looking forward to the responses Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Beautiful girls in Oxford and the accent will go a long way for you.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Airports - You aren't far from Memphis International.
Music - Since Oxford is a college town, you will have local bands. Plus the north Mississippi area and Memphis are full of musicians that play all types of music. Some of my favorite Memphis musicians and bands. A quick YouTube search will find you samples of every one of them.
Saliva
Egypt Central
Dust For Life
Skillet
Eric Gales
John Kilzer
Amy LeVere
North Mississippi All Stars
Saving Abel
Shinedown (Zach Myers is from Memphis and his solo band is based here)
Gabby Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oWfMZMukhQ

Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,088 times
Hugh Hefner said that Ole Miss has some of the most beautiful girls in the world. I've lived all over this country and overseas. I think he's right.

Oxford is a gem in an otherwise intellectually vapid state. You'll love it! It has an almost northeastern U.S. feel to it. And there are lots of international students.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 AM

So Oxford is equip with a multitude of southern women!

Can anybody tell me anything else about the style of town? Recreation.. arts, culture?

Sounds like there is plenty of music, i'll be happy I think!

Memphis is an hour away from Oxford roughly?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 AM

There is plenty to do in Oxford. Sardis Lake is nearby. You can shop on the square. I love Off Square Books for older or hard to find books. Faulkner's Home. The Ford Center always has something going on. Gertrude Castellow Ford Center

And of course Ole Miss sports! Football, basketball, tennis, soccer, baseball..... The games are fun to go to even if you don't love sports.

The Library (kind of a sports bar) is a great place to hang out and often has good music.

The Grove comes alive during football season. It's said that Ole Miss may not win every game, but they never lose a party. It's also a great place to picnic, play Frisbee, go for a walk...

Memphis is about an hour away. I've done it in 45 minutes.

You'll have a good time! At one point Ole Miss was ranked the Top Party School in the US! I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
There is plenty to do in Oxford.
You'll have a good time! At one point Ole Miss was ranked the Top Party School in the US! I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Haha well I like a party or two but I like to do a lot of other things more!

Oh by the way.. spiders in Oxford? In australia big and poisonous ones exist but you never see them. All you see are the common house spiders and Huntsman. Does Oxford get the MASSIVE walking spiders I assume exist? web spiders don't bother me just the thought of waking up with a massive tarantula on my head!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Does Oxford get the MASSIVE walking spiders I assume exist? web spiders don't bother me just the thought of waking up with a massive tarantula on my head!
No huge spiders that I've ever seen. The only dangerous ones I know of are the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse. I think most Southeastern states have both. You almost have to be trying to get bit. Neither spider is aggressive. Just watch where you put your hands. Check your shoes if you leave them outside. I got bit reaching into a crawl space years ago. I was trying to get my son's wagon out and when I grabbed the handle, I also grabbed a black widow.

The only relatively big spiders that I've seen are what we call "Wolf Spiders". I think they are pretty harmless.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
The black widows were a surprise when we moved here. I find a dozen or so every year during yard work. I've seen a single black widow bite put a 300 pound man in the hospital. It took less than 10 minutes for him to go from fine to someone having to help him stand. It may have been an allergic reaction but I'm not going to test it.

The brown recluse is hard to find (hence the name) but if you are allergic, the bit is bad as well. Skin around the bite starts to rot away. If you aren't allergic, it's no different than a house spider.

Ole Miss will also have intramural sports that you can participate in. Back in college my fraternity participated in flag football, soccer, softball, basketball, volley ball, wally ball and frisbee golf. All of this at a very small school. I assume that larger schools offer more.

Outside of school there is camping, boating, water skiing, fishing, hunting, etc. If you have the ability to travel, that will really open up the opportunities for outdoor activities.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 12,564 times
Oxford sucks!!! Stay away from that place because you cant find a job to even buy a cracker on!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi