Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:00 PM

904 posts, read 830,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
KKK leader might be honerd on MS-licence plate....

Dang......shows what I know!!! I would have suspected this type of thing from Alabama, but, I thought Mississippi had more class. OOPS, My Bad!!!! (complete with mis-spelling ----"honerd"????)
As my grandaddy taught me years ago "only cowards and thieves hide their faces, honest men have no need."

I honestly dont understand why people just assume that Alabama would make a decision like this. Alabama has changed more than most people would even believe. To me, Alabama is probably one of the most tolerant states in the south. I moved to Bham about 10 years ago, and my friends from other places asked me if it was anything like what most people think. I told them that this city and state was completely different from what most think. I would be really silly to think that there are no racist people in Alabama, but it's nothing like the media makes it out to be. And just so you know, I consider myself very liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I think wounds should not be "picked at". Our nation has not healed from the Civil War and the carpet bagger era yet, and some things are best left alone.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Forrest was a Confederate General, they are emmulating his years in Confederate service on the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War. They are also putting Lee and such on other plates.

But just for info here, Forrest was never a founder of the Klan, one of the first real leaders of it yes, but he was the one who also disbanded it (the First of the two Klans).
I don't care what wonderful things he did when he wasn't covered in a white hood. If he was connected in any way with the Klan, he doesn't belong on our license plates. He is a boil on the butt of Mississippi. And we don't need any more negative attention.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 PM

154 posts, read 216,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I don't care what wonderful things he did when he wasn't covered in a white hood. If he was connected in any way with the Klan, he doesn't belong on our license plates. He is a boil on the butt of Mississippi. And we don't need any more negative attention.
Taking that sort of black & white approach to the argument is close to unreasonable considering some of the "upper strata" of American society that was associated with the Klan throughout it's existence including prominent Freemasons, Presidents, Congressmen, Senators, Supreme Court Justice, etc, and so on. Did you know that Gutzon Borglum - the man who's hand was largely responsible for both Mt. Rushmore and Stone Mountain - was a Klansman?

Sometimes people do things they regret later in life. To hold and proclaim them guilty for all eternity isn't the right course of action.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAR84 View Post
Taking that sort of black & white approach to the argument is close to unreasonable considering some of the "upper strata" of American society that was associated with the Klan throughout it's existence including prominent Freemasons, Presidents, Congressmen, Senators, Supreme Court Justice, etc, and so on. Did you know that Gutzon Borglum - the man who's hand was largely responsible for both Mt. Rushmore and Stone Mountain - was a Klansman?

Sometimes people do things they regret later in life. To hold and proclaim them guilty for all eternity isn't the right course of action.
I've done things I regretted in life. I cut someone off in traffic yesterday. And I cheated on a test in sixth grade. However, I have never in my life been a part of an organization devoted to devaluing entire groups of people based on race or religion.

I'm sure Hitler was very kind to his dog. But you don't see him celebrated as a good guy who may have made a few bad decisions. Again, I don't care if they built the damn pyramids in Egypt. They are criminals and should be treated as such.

THIS is exactly what is wrong with Mississippi and so many other southern states. This idea that we can reinvent history and gloss over the horrible things that happened in our past.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:40 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Like I said, he was in the FIRST Klan, which in the beginning was intended to be a fraternal order, with the onset of Reconstruction it turned into a militant group fighting Federal forces, going to the extent of terrorizing. Forrest was an influential individual in the original Klan, when he as a former Confederate leader was a part of it, and saw some of the blantant things done, disbanded it, which for Forrest's previous nature during the war, is pretty surprising since he was known for being rough, firey and unforgiving.

I'm not defending the guy, but I am trying to explain that he was just like many other folk in the 1860s/70s, just as bad and racist as everyone else. But the fact is that outside of Lee, he was probably one of the best generals the Confederacy had, and all these plates are doing are emmulating Southern military leaders during that conflict, which was I REPEAT 150 years ago, it shows respect that Southerners have for their history, even if it does have it's warts, just like every other part of the country.

So there is nothing wrong with it, but it should be explained to others WHY, and it is okay to have Confederate plates to signify and commemorate the most important war in American history.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 PM

154 posts, read 216,753 times
I hope you understand i'm not trying to twist or manipulate history any of its ugly faces. That wasn't my intention. I suppose what I was implying was that the times, the people, and the mindset was different in regards to a lot of societal problems. People had their reason for doing what they did, for who they associated with, acts commuted, etc. I'll use to brief examples, as i'm quite tired due to a poor sleeping schedule.

What's commonly referred to as the "First Era Klan" was a popular uprising that consisted of people from all sorts of walks of life - whites, blacks, jews, catholics, protestants, etc. Many of these people - even those not specifically associated with the Klan - rebelled purely out of disdain for northern tyranny. THEY did what THEY felt was right, appropriate, etc, at the time and how we judge them today is largely irrelevant. Though, of course, it does give all of us a collective moral boost when we do. A lot of people don't realize this but the Klan of that was looked upon as a great resistance all the way up to the early to mid 1900s. Hence their heroic depection in Griffith's "Birth of a Naiton".

The "Simmons / Evans Era Klan" was also very popular in it's heyday. In fact, it's membership base was in the millions. At the time, it was as acceptable and proper as apple pie & warm milk. You joined to get ahead. To get a job. To be a member of the community. Etc etc etc.

I guess what i'm implying is it's not right to permanently criminalize people and demonize them for their mistakes. In doing so, is that any different than how some of these men demonized and objectified non-whites and people of different religious faiths?

Old 02-12-2011, 04:21 PM

76 posts, read 110,182 times
As much as I hate to admit it, Mississippimagnolia hits the nail on the head this time, she's entirely correct . Every normal thinking Mississippian should be appalled at the fact that something of this nature is even being brought up, let alone being given serious consideration. This truly speaks volumes about many in MS that anyone could even consider putting the likes of KKK anything on a state plate seen all around the country...but I guess it should come as no surprise when 60% of the state voted in favor of keeping the current state flag...another absolute embarassment. And I don't want to hear any of the heritage crap either...PLEASE! When is MS going to learn that what these things do is literally hurt the states already embattled image and financially taking money out of its own residents pockets! How you ask...what company will want to locate here reading about these things, who will want to visit, etc., etc., ...it all boils down to money as far as I'm concerned! If MS is so proud of its KKK past, why not go all the way and talk up the other facts about MS. Instead of having the county names on the tag, how about a new logo..."Nations Poorest State", "Leads in Obesity", "Highest Infant Mortality Rate", "Wurst in Edamication". So there, you see, even the states biggest proponent, myself, can say negative things about MS...it doesn't make me love it any less, nor will I defend it any less, either.
As I have written on here before, and I quote our most famous son, William Faulkner's sentiments about his home state; ..."loving all of it even while I had to hate some of it because, I know now that you don't love because, you love despite; not for the virtues, but despite the faults."

Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM

185 posts, read 399,719 times
They're going to put the man on the license plate because he was a Confederate general, not because he was affiliated with the KKK. As for MS's state flag, I don't think that should be changed either. Other states were pressured into changing their flags but I don't think we should change history. The Confederate flag is part of the Southern history and I hope it stays. Conclusion: They should allow the license plate and honor him as a Confederate General. Martin Luther King Jr has his own national holiday even though he was a known Communist, frequent user of prostitutes and a woman beater but that is not how we honor him. I say the same should go for Forrest, unless we're to be hypocritical...

Old 02-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
As much as I hate to admit it, Mississippimagnolia hits the nail on the head this time, she's entirely correct .
Uh Oh. MrBeluksee and I are in agreement! Surely the end is near!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi