Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 PM

22 posts, read 43,497 times

Advertisements

First I would like to give some back ground on me. I lived in Mississippi my hole life in till June 2010(25 years), then I moved to Alaska. I have decided to come back, Alaska isnt for me and I will be driving the Alcan Highway through Canada and then back into the US. We will enter Mississippi from Tennessee and drive south through State on the way to the Gulf Coast.

I have lived in Vicksburg, Jackson and the Gulf Coast, so I have seen what those areas have to offer. Only place in Mississippi I plan to stop is the Blues Museum in Clarksdale. Any other places I should visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM

25,340 posts, read 16,983,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white69mach1 View Post
First I would like to give some back ground on me. I lived in Mississippi my hole life in till June 2010(25 years), then I moved to Alaska. I have decided to come back, Alaska isnt for me and I will be driving the Alcan Highway through Canada and then back into the US. We will enter Mississippi from Tennessee and drive south through State on the way to the Gulf Coast.

I have lived in Vicksburg, Jackson and the Gulf Coast, so I have seen what those areas have to offer. Only place in Mississippi I plan to stop is the Blues Museum in Clarksdale. Any other places I should visit?
I'm not writing in direct response to your question. I do have a few comments, though.

When I was young I took off on the great adventure of travel. I went everywhere. Saw everything (well, not quite). Car broke down in the Arizona Desert; got mugged in Norfolk; shaken down by a corrupt policeman and a shoeshine hustler in LA; dang near froze to death in Seattle; fought a war in Vietnam; Got drunk turning 21 in San Fransisco; spent 6 months on a Colombian destroyer; visited Delphi, in Greece; stood at the crossroads where Oedipus Rex was reputed to have killed his mother; visited 49 States and 18 foreign countries; sailed alone on a sailboat across the Gulf of Mexico; became a licensed sailplane pilot; a licensed charted sailboat skipper; a certified auto mechanic; an FCC licensed radio technician; learned to play guitar..........
Where should you go? Everywhere. Little Big Horn; Chicago; The Grand Canyon; San Fransisco; Lake Powell; Great Salt Lake; Denver; The Albuquerque Airport; A ghost town in New Mexico.
And just as importantly you should talk to everyone: The old man I found living alone outside the ghost town in New Mexico; The ship's engineer who showed me his spotless engine room in The Philippines; the girl I never actually spoke to years ago in St Thomas; The filthy Gypsy who spoke perfect English in Spain; The wasted hippie in Seattle; The girl who snubbed me in Arizona.

Life's an adventure. Read about Robert Service's life and read "The Cremation of Sam McGee". Or memorize it. I have, and it took weeks.

Just some thoughts for you....

Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,075,307 times
If you stay overnight in Clarksdsale--google the Shack Up Inn. Also if you come through Hattiesburg stop at Camp Shelby and tour the WWII museum. It is excellent and quite interesting and moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi