U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,680,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerricaAnna View Post
I heard memphis is only one row of bars as nightlife goes.
That would be Beale Street. That's like saying New Orleans only has nightlife on Bourbon Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerricaAnna View Post
Isnt new orleans still kind of wrecked from katrina?
Some parts still are. Some parts look like there never was a storm. The tourist areas are definitely back. My wife and I have been down there twice in the last year and both times were great.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 AM

93 posts, read 348,195 times
charelston is gorgeous and wayyyy too laid back (felt more like a toewn and not a city). I guess it hards to know, just have to visit jacksona and memphis:0)

Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM

52 posts, read 166,359 times
Mississippi as a whole is lacking and behind the times as far as education and progress if you wanted to be. Close but still happening try Memphis Tennessee. New Orleans id suggest Birmingham but they are actually losing population.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 PM

22,977 posts, read 14,311,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_haze View Post
Mississippi as a whole is lacking and behind the times as far as education and progress if you wanted to be. Close but still happening try Memphis Tennessee. New Orleans id suggest Birmingham but they are actually losing population.
You know, in the context of this thread I will agree.
For a young person who describes their destination as "happening" and looking for a young professionals social life and interests I think you would be disappointed in Mississippi.

Jeez...Go to Chicago. You want night life; happening; social interests; they got it.
Then some day a long time from now, when you find it hard to remember just what the hell you were thinking when you moved to the big city, give Mississippi a try. That's what happened to me.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,269,475 times
If you want an active single life in a happening place in Mississippi, then Downtown Jackson is your best bet. Over the past 4 years, the downtown residential population has exploded and the local businesses are responding by offering more services and longer hours for those other than just the 8-5 weekday workers. Also, most of Jackson's nightlife is located in Downtown and there are some great restaurants as well. You will most likely have to rent an apartment though, because there aren't very many condos available for purchase. If you're more of a house/yard person, I would recommend Fondren/Belhaven areas just north of Downtown a couple of miles - these are historic neighborhoods that have great access to local restaurants, shops, groceries, festivals, markets, etc.

Check out www.downtown-jackson.com/ for more info.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 AM

1,354 posts, read 3,940,849 times
I do agree with the other posters. If I were in your boat and with the experience I have had living in cities of all sizes from a village to a major metro area--Mississippi doesn't have a real "happening" town in a younger person's sense. I can't imagine recommending Jackson proper or Memphis in one breath and then steering the poster to the 'burbs? What single social-minded 20something wants to live in Madison or Horn lake? So---though Mississippi is great for a couple or a retiree--it ain't "happening"!

Having said that--you may be a homebody contented with an interesting job, good friends, and a local music scene. You might not mind a bit of a drive to NO or the Florida panhandle for some good times. Then check out Hattiesburg. It is a college town and many young people do love it. It has a pretty good economy, active lifestyles, and a lot of choices in housing types.

And since you are looking at the South instead of, say, a major eastern city with museums, interest groups galore, and major cultural venues, Hattiesburg may suit you fine. Good Luck!
Welcome to Hattiesburg, Mississippi - Visit Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,719,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_haze View Post
Metro Birmingham grew 7% over the past decade.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,219,409 times
Mississippi has no large cities. The Jackson Metro is the largest population center, and, I suppose, the Gulf Coast would be the second largest.

Jackson has virtually no apartments you'd feel safe in, unless you can pay north of $1500 a month. That's a huge negative for singles of moderate income. It keeps more people from moving there (and drives more young people out of the area) than the Crime Rate. So be prepared to buy. The choices, in that regard, are endless.

Madison is for quiet achievers, and has no real social scene, and not much shopping...yet. But it's the wealthiest part of the Jackson Metro. Kids study all the time. Parents work all the time. There are no bars. People who misbehave are promptly reported and swiftly intercepted. Rich people with rotten kids move to Madison. Their kids get arrested. They move back to Jackson. Happens all the time. It's exactly like Stepford, and I loved the fact that it was so aggressively wholesome there. Helps to be a Fundamentalist/Evangelical/Teetotaler/Multimillionaire/Workaholic.

The Reservoir is for Jackson's Swingers and other party types (and it's most elite Swing Group, which included some of my buds from the gym, has some utterly spectacular couples, some of them high-achieving high-earners...and no, I don't...sigh...know this from experience). Fondren and Belhaven are the Jackson neighborhoods for Hipsters, Intellectuals, and the few (profoundly unhappy, it seems) Gay people. Lots of Lesbian Doctors and Professors own fine, sprawling, Fifties/Sixties/Seventies homes in the area. Fabulous interiors, decked-out in the latest trends...beautiful lawns...

The Milieu I think you'd like best is near Highland Village. That's where you'll find the nice boutiques and salons. If you're Blonde(ish). Or a member of the Black Elite. Otherwise, you'll be viewed as 'wierd' in Jackson area businesses. If you don't have one of the two standard looks, expect extreme rudeness from the shop owners/staff. In the big box stores, expect rabid zombies working the registers....loud, rude, and either oblivious to your presence, or irritated by your momentary interruption of their ear-splittingly-loud banter. Anyway, you can spend between 150,000 and two million for a home near Highland Village.

Brandon is very safe. Another place where nobody gets away with anything. It's in a dry county, and if folks there have any sense, they'll keep it that way. Virtually 100% Fundamentalist.

Jackson Proper has a huge Black Elite (for such a small city), many from aristocratic old land-owning families, and many third and fourth-generation college grads. So, it's a great place to live, if you are Black, like to dress up in a Chanel or St. John Suit, go to Church, and blend in with the Physicians, Attorneys, and College Professors. And there are a huge number of lovely homes in Northeast Jackson to choose from, with big, well-landscaped yards, and up-to-date (often magazine-worthy) interiors. And they are modestly priced. In that respect, it's a lot like Atlanta.

If you're White, and moving in from out of state, you're utterly out of luck, unless you have a hundred million dollars, are a Physician, or were in the right sorority (or are currently in the 'League' and can transfer in). Whites in Mississippi are born with more friends and family than they could ever possibly use. They don't need any more friends. Besides: the level of conformity in the Metro is so fine-tuned, an outsider sticks out like a sore thumb. And it's worse for a Southerner, who's only a bit different. Yankees are welcomed as exotics...and also fit in with the other Yankees. So unless you have a major fortune, or a huge earned income, you are going to pretty much be ignored. And being beautiful will not help one bit. Peek into a Jackson area Aerobics class and take a look at all the competition.

When I was new to Jackson, a lovely, extremely friendly girl from Baton Rouge started working out at our gym. All her overtures toward making friends were coldly rebuffed. And this was a Tri Delt from a good family. Still, she was treated like dirt. (I was still just a poor little Indian Girl at that point, and was just sort of invisible...not about to make friends with someone six class levels above me). It was heartbreaking to see this sweet, beautiful, poised young woman be dissed like that. And over the years, I saw that sort of thing over and over. Even the Movie People, when they were shooting in the area, were kept at arm's length. They ended up being my friends, though, and are still my buds, when we run into them in Aspen or Malibu.

The Gulf Coast is great if you're Sicilian. New Orleans had the Largest Sicilian Population off the Island, and Mississippi's Coast is pretty much an extension of that scene. There are also large populations of people of Southeastern European ancestry, particularly Croats and Yugoslavians. Obviously, it helps a lot, on the Coast, to be Catholic. The Coast is now about Gambling, and so the prevailing standards of taste and class are generated by Las Vegas and Atlantic City.

The happy, open-minded, sophisticated city in the state is Hattiesburg. It seems to be the hottest and most humid city in the state, though. And I can't imagine moving there unless you're a college professor, a physician, or a magnamillionaire who can live anywhere. The dominant culture seems to be German. And you need to be either Baptist or Catholic to really fit in.

Frankly, Being Baptist, Pentecostal, or Catholic is a good idea for living anywhere in the state. And where you worship will be a HUGE part of your identity. Church and Wal-Mart are the primary social vectors in the state. The Synagogues in Mississippi, BTW, are all Reform....solidly Upper-middle-class, old money, social moderate, fiscal conservative.

If you have a solid job offer, the state is okay.... There are worse places. Finding a place to live that's safe and affordable will be the only really tricky part. The social isolation is quite survivable.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-05-2011 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: and...

Old 03-05-2011, 03:47 PM

27 posts, read 95,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Mississippi has no large cities. The Jackson Metro is the largest population center, and, I suppose, the Gulf Coast would be the second largest.

Jackson has virtually no apartments you'd feel safe in, unless you can pay north of $1500 a month. That's a huge negative for singles of moderate income. It keeps more people from moving there (and drives more young people out of the area) than the Crime Rate. So be prepared to buy. The choices, in that regard, are endless.

Madison is for quiet achievers, and has no real social scene, and not much shopping...yet. But it's the wealthiest part of the Jackson Metro. Kids study all the time. Parents work all the time. There are no bars. People who misbehave are promptly reported and swiftly intercepted. Rich people with rotten kids move to Madison. Their kids get arrested. They move back to Jackson. Happens all the time. It's exactly like Stepford, and I loved the fact that it was so aggressively wholesome there. Helps to be a Fundamentalist/Evangelical/Teetotaler/Multimillionaire/Workaholic.

The Reservoir is for Jackson's Swingers and other party types (and it's most elite Swing Group, which included some of my buds from the gym, has some utterly spectacular couples, some of them high-achieving high-earners...and no, I don't...sigh...know this from experience). Fondren and Belhaven are the Jackson neighborhoods for Hipsters, Intellectuals, and the few (profoundly unhappy, it seems) Gay people. Lots of Lesbian Doctors and Professors own fine, sprawling, Fifties/Sixties/Seventies homes in the area. Fabulous interiors, decked-out in the latest trends...beautiful lawns...

The Milieu I think you'd like best is near Highland Village. That's where you'll find the nice boutiques and salons. If you're Blonde(ish). Or a member of the Black Elite. Otherwise, you'll be viewed as 'wierd' in Jackson area businesses. If you don't have one of the two standard looks, expect extreme rudeness from the shop owners/staff. In the big box stores, expect rabid zombies working the registers....loud, rude, and either oblivious to your presence, or irritated by your momentary interruption of their ear-splittingly-loud banter. Anyway, you can spend between 150,000 and two million for a home near Highland Village.

Brandon is very safe. Another place where nobody gets away with anything. It's in a dry county, and if folks there have any sense, they'll keep it that way. Virtually 100% Fundamentalist.

Jackson Proper has a huge Black Elite (for such a small city), many from aristocratic old land-owning families, and many third and fourth-generation college grads. So, it's a great place to live, if you are Black, like to dress up in a Chanel or St. John Suit, go to Church, and blend in with the Physicians, Attorneys, and College Professors. And there are a huge number of lovely homes in Northeast Jackson to choose from, with big, well-landscaped yards, and up-to-date (often magazine-worthy) interiors. And they are modestly priced. In that respect, it's a lot like Atlanta.

If you're White, and moving in from out of state, you're utterly out of luck, unless you have a hundred million dollars, are a Physician, or were in the right sorority (or are currently in the 'League' and can transfer in). Whites in Mississippi are born with more friends and family than they could ever possibly use. They don't need any more friends. Besides: the level of conformity in the Metro is so fine-tuned, an outsider sticks out like a sore thumb. And it's worse for a Southerner, who's only a bit different. Yankees are welcomed as exotics...and also fit in with the other Yankees. So unless you have a major fortune, or a huge earned income, you are going to pretty much be ignored. And being beautiful will not help one bit. Peek into a Jackson area Aerobics class and take a look at all the competition.

When I was new to Jackson, a lovely, extremely friendly girl from Baton Rouge started working out at our gym. All her overtures toward making friends were coldly rebuffed. And this was a Tri Delt from a good family. Still, she was treated like dirt. (I was still just a poor little Indian Girl at that point, and was just sort of invisible...not about to make friends with someone six class levels above me). It was heartbreaking to see this sweet, beautiful, poised young woman be dissed like that. And over the years, I saw that sort of thing over and over. Even the Movie People, when they were shooting in the area, were kept at arm's length. They ended up being my friends, though, and are still my buds, when we run into them in Aspen or Malibu.

The Gulf Coast is great if you're Sicilian. New Orleans had the Largest Sicilian Population off the Island, and Mississippi's Coast is pretty much an extension of that scene. There are also large populations of people of Southeastern European ancestry, particularly Croats and Yugoslavians. Obviously, it helps a lot, on the Coast, to be Catholic. The Coast is now about Gambling, and so the prevailing standards of taste and class are generated by Las Vegas and Atlantic City.

The happy, open-minded, sophisticated city in the state is Hattiesburg. It seems to be the hottest and most humid city in the state, though. And I can't imagine moving there unless you're a college professor, a physician, or a magnamillionaire who can live anywhere. The dominant culture seems to be German. And you need to be either Baptist or Catholic to really fit in.

Frankly, Being Baptist, Pentecostal, or Catholic is a good idea for living anywhere in the state. And where you worship will be a HUGE part of your identity. Church and Wal-Mart are the primary social vectors in the state. The Synagogues in Mississippi, BTW, are all Reform....solidly Upper-middle-class, old money, social moderate, fiscal conservative.

If you have a solid job offer, the state is okay.... There are worse places. Finding a place to live that's safe and affordable will be the only really tricky part. The social isolation is quite survivable.
Wow, Grandview Gloria - I feel good now (NOT)! I've been extensively researching the Gulf Coast online. I've sat many evening trying to decide where the good schools are, where the Catholic schools are in relation to the good public schools (just in case because you always have to plan both ways). The gilrs have attended Catholic school and I've pondered whether or not they will fit in the Catholic schools on the Gulf as we are decidely hard-working middle class folks and we wouldn't want to place our children in the wrong socioecomic class by sending them to a private school only the elite attend.

Further, I've been trying to narrow down areas north of I10 have safe neighborhoods, low taxes and reasonable insurance rates. All this in the $150K range. We finally decided to rent for one year since the girls won't be in high school category for about two years. That time would give us a chance to be able to really find out some of these things in person and truly get the feel of the area. (Although how can I find out since no one will care to befriend me?)

Here I was looking forward to a few boiled peanuts, maybe a trip to the flea market, a walk on the beach and now you tell me all this. Imagine finding out the only thing I have going for me is that I'm Catholic and I shop Walmart! Oh yeah, I returned to New England about ten years ago so I may qualify as an exotic Yankee - I've never been classified as exotic - but even so you say this won't help me too much. I'll have no friends and say "hi" to those I recognize from church at Walmart! Maybe I can drop a few "we've been so blessed," that was pretty common previously when I lived down South. You know, I did hope to find a friend or maybe barbeque with a neighbor at some point. I'm not sure if I should laugh, cry or have a drink. Geez Gloria, could you have made me feel any better?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,945,603 times
BeachBall, Grandview is known for her very "interesting" posts. Yes, it's a free country and like everyone she's welcome to her opinions, but in my humble opinion you should ignore them.

For a $150k home north of I-10, you should look in the vicinity of the new Hwy 67 bypass that runs north of Biloxi and curves around for about 20 miles up to Hwy 49. This is where the new Catholic high school is. There are some new, expensive subdivisions up there (one called Tradition) but in general the Coast is predominately hard working middle class folks as you described. This area is wooded with pine trees, has some elevation and rolling land, and is dotted with nice and affordable subdivisions.

Beyond that, Ocean Springs and Long Beach are loaded with the kind of homes and people you described but below I-10. That said, most homes except for those within a couple of blocks from the water only suffered wind damage in the hurricane. There is also the very nice Diamondhead golf community right on I-10 in Hancock County and it is north of I-10 and has some elevation, so it made it through quite nicely. There are plenty of homes in your price range there also.

If you look in the Gulfport area north of I-10 along Hwy 49, you want to get a little further north (say 5 miles north of I-10) to get into the highly rated public middle schools. Of course if you go with Catholic schools, then virtually the entire Coast is safe, affordable and hard working middle class folks with the exception of the older parts of Gulfport running a mile or so north of the coast highway.

Candidly, the Coast is nothing like Grandview described. It's very nice and diverse and unpretentious and it sounds like your family will fit in just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi