U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM

38 posts, read 164,454 times

Advertisements

Hi EVeryone,

Im curious to know which city has a higher quality of life? Which has a better job market? Which city has more opportunity? Which has the best shopping/retaurants/upscale nightlife/nice salons? I am in my later twenties, considering relocations and would love to get an idea which city has more to offer for a young professionals social life and interests.

thanks for your input!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:07 PM

511 posts, read 846,968 times
there is only 1 "large" city in MS and that is Jackson. you don't want to live in Jackson itself, but one of the outlying smaller cities is fine. another option is around teh Southaven area, you are just a hop skip and a jump from Memphis then.

i would not recommend moving to any city without first securing a job. there are plenty of degreed college grads out there right now flipping burgers, no guarantee you will get a job.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,221 times
As a recent Jackson-area resident, to call this area a place with a high quality of life, good job market, city of opportunity, or a place with something to offer is comical. If you are not occupationally required to live here, I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM

315 posts, read 541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerricaAnna View Post
Hi EVeryone,

Im curious to know which city has a higher quality of life? Which has a better job market? Which city has more opportunity? Which has the best shopping/retaurants/upscale nightlife/nice salons? I am in my later twenties, considering relocations and would love to get an idea which city has more to offer for a young professionals social life and interests.

thanks for your input!
Mississippi is pretty lacking to pinpoint a city that has all of those attributes. But the Biloxi/Gulfport, Jackson, Hattiesburg, or the Memphis suburbs (Horn Lake/Southaven/Olive Branch) is about the closest you'll get. I'd also look into the New Orleans suburbs north of Lake Ponchartrain if you would accept living close to MS, but not actually IN MS.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 PM

38 posts, read 164,454 times
hmm, thank you guys for input! im on a search for a happening city in the south (NOT Atlanta ).
I heard memphis is only one row of bars as nightlife goes. Isnt new orleans still kind of wrecked from katrina?
So jackson would not be considered as having more upscale nightlife or higher quality of life? IS there a decent portion of wealth in Jackson?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM

23,098 posts, read 14,412,642 times
Quote:
hmm, thank you guys for input! im on a search for a happening city in the south (NOT Atlanta ).
I heard memphis is only one row of bars as nightlife goes. Isnt new orleans still kind of wrecked from katrina?
So jackson would not be considered as having more upscale nightlife or higher quality of life? IS there a decent portion of wealth in Jackson?
Check out Huntsville, AL.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM

511 posts, read 846,968 times
if you are looking for a decent portion of wealth, then look in the Madison area. more upscale than most of the rest of Jackson metro, but not a lot of bars there that i know of. if you are trying to find a wealthy mate, well good luck on that one.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,596,349 times
Quote:
I second Listener. Huntsville, Nashville, Ashville, Charlotte - these are the cities I'd be looking into.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:07 PM

315 posts, read 541,345 times
Also check out Charleston, SC

Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM

76 posts, read 102,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmistry View Post
As a recent Jackson-area resident, to call this area a place with a high quality of life, good job market, city of opportunity, or a place with something to offer is comical. If you are not occupationally required to live here, I would suggest you look elsewhere.
That of course will depend on your definition of "quality of life", "good job market", "opportunity" or "a place with something to offer". Your opinion
of course holds true for you, but perhaps not for all. Fortunately for you, you are only obliged occupationally to live here, so hopefully it will be short lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi