Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

I recently contacted the Mississippi Chamber of Commerce for information just out of curiosity. I'm pretty sure I have decided on another state for relocation, but Mississippi interests me somewhat just BECAUSE it does NOT seem to be one of the hot southern states "everyone" is moving too. I left North Carolina two years ago after a decade there because, in my own experience growing up around D.C., "booming and growing" and "everyone's moving there" may mean good job opportunities and be a plus for some people, but it doesn't necessarily equate to "peaceful" living to me. What my own research tells me is that Mississippi is just too divided between rich and poor, haves and have nots, good areas and really bad crime-ridden ones. I also met some people out here in Montana from Mississippi that told me the crime has gotten really bad there post-Katrina. Would this be a correct assessment? As an average wage earner, I did not find there are many decent places to live there. The state's unemployment rate is also really dismal, any particular reasons for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I also met some people out here in Montana from Mississippi that told me the crime has gotten really bad there post-Katrina. Would this be a correct assessment?
Not in NE Mississippi. I don't know about the rest of the state, though.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
It seems like the western half of the state (delta region) has the most problems. The eastern half of the state isn't that bad, exept for a few small areas.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
This is just anecdotal and really a personal observation only, not based on any statistics or serious research but basically I find Mississippi to be like every other place I have been and that is it has pockets of crime but compared to other places it is a low-crime place. Violent crime of a random nature is almost nonexistent outside of the capital and a few other urban locales.
However, I think it has a rather large population of people living in or near the poverty level. Again there are areas that are really depressed like the Delta and then you have some upscale areas that are second to none. Mississipppi is as diverse as any other place and for someone with a good job it can be a heaven on earth. If you are unskilled and undereducated you will have a tough time. Sounds like a lot of places, doesn't it?
Look, I came to Mississippi kicking and screaming because I had heard about its "backwardness" as others have. Today its way more than that. For example, everyone hears about the poor schools. True there are poor performing schools but there are excellent schools as well. My children went to school here and are pursuing graduate degrees in other states and doing extremely well. They actually claim they feel they have had a superior background compared to many of their fellow students. There is a drop-out problem. There is a money problem. It isn't, however in every school district nor with all students in most schools. There is a disadvantaged population that suffers from all the horribles one hears about but that is not the only demographic. As I said before if you have a good job, and many people do, you can find anything you could need or want here.
Mississippi has unique problems based on its history but is making huge strides.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Thanks Tama, that was a really informative and interesting post. I think the best information is personal viewpoints and opinions from people who have lived in an area for awhile.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,759 times
I live in Vicksburg and I have to say I love that Mississippi is underrated. Our traffic is when there's a light out and things are just very relaxed here. Mississippi is a diamond in the ruff and if it stays this way forever, I'd be happy!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:45 PM

12 posts, read 36,983 times
We moved to Mississippi and could only handle it for 2 years..It was like going back in time, I'm speaking of Greenville in the Delta...You HAD to send your children to private schools if you wanted them to return from school alive and places to eat were dirty...you could not go to the mall ofter dark or you will get robbed or worse...The whites lived on one side of town and the blacks on the other...What is so bad is that they either dont know any better or they want to keep it the same way as it has been for decades...Very interesting place to live to say the least.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 18,182 times
Smile Mississippi?

Mississippi is a wonderful place to live despite what news media and movies may depict. True, there are problems, but there are problems any where you go. If you like city life, there are small cities with all the amenities, or smaller communities within driving distance. Some school districts are considered better than others, but I think that misconception is changing as technology and programs are implemented. Mississippi offers opportunities to enjoy people of all cultures, although there may be some people who just refuse to change, as there are in every state. In our small communities, you find people to be friendly and caring and gracious. Families are still important influences on us and we are proud of our heritages. We are slower paced than many states, and that is a good thing. We still retain the virtues of being neighborly and helping each other out in times of trouble. We still love this great country and try to instill old-time values in our children. The cost of living is lower than in many states even in our larger cities. Yes, there are still rich people and poor people, but the majority of Mississippians are smack in the middle and we have worked hard to erase the negative viewpoints people have had. Come visit and see what we have to offer.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,115 times
Mississippi is a state unlike any other I was born and raised in the south and I have no desire to leave the south. Unlike in other locations Mississippians value life more than money! We live at a slower pace which gives us a chance to appreciate every valuable moment we are blessed with. If I recieved a lesser education I was never aware of it and I felt that I was as well prepared for life as my peers. I have nothing to fear in mississippi but fear itself. Who's less educated?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Debradearing says--------'there are still rich people and poor people,but the majority of Mississippians are smack in the middle "

Is that a personal opinion or a fact ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi