Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM

19 posts, read 57,084 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! I want to know what you all think about Hattiesburg, MS. We are middle aged couple from Southeast Asia. We live in the Northwestern States. Only reason for move is to avoid Snow, piles of snow in front of the door to walk over We do not want to move again. Moved 3 times already job. since we are in health care field getting a job is not a problem. I am looking for a place to live and retire while avoiding snow. Little bit cold weather is OK. trying to aviod extreme heat is we can lead active life. Ideally California is good but too many people are moving from California to where we live. We will be looking for some concerts etc., as we work less in the coming years. Older kid in college and younger one has a few years of high school left. The kid plays (we are told he is talented) and likes jazz music. Please give us your opinion.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-13-2011 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Moved from the "About Forum"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:07 AM

17 posts, read 40,068 times
We lived in Missouri a few years ago and loved the weather there year round. We were there about 2 years and the only 'big snow' we had was about 11 or12 inches but it didn't last because the temps are warmer than up north. I had a horse and the water tank never froze solid. The most ice was a hairline skim. In NE your tanks freeze solid if you don't use a tank heater. Lots of people move to Missouri from northern states because of the weather. Missouri has ice but it only lasts a couple hours. They don't have the frigid temps either like up north. We never lived in Mississippi but visit there yearly because we have relatives there. We love it there but we vacation in the summer. We ride our motorcycle down from Nebraska.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times
Hattiesburg has a great lifestyle due to warm winters, convenient location near New Orleans, Mississippi Gulf Coast and Florida. It's also growing and modern and benefits from having a university. There are very nice subdivisions on the outskirts of town and a number of lakes. The entire area is covered in thick pine forests.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,799 times
Smile Welcome

I like Hattiesburg. It has everything you need. :-) If you decide to come, come check out The Grove Church grovechurch.com

Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
If you want to avoid extreme heat, then Hattiesburg is not for you. Not only is it hot as blazes, five months of the year, the area's Rainfall Rating is in the category right next to Rainforest. Yeah! Epic humidity. My people finished evolving in that climate: so, to me, it's just right. It's a challenge for others. Most people wear minimal clothing in summer, there...expensive skimpy clothing. How's the bod?

And while Hattiesburg is, by far, the most sophisticated and accepting place in Mississippi, it's still a place where Football Standouts are valued far above Musicians, and the Beauty Queens zipping around in 7-Series BMWs will make you wish you'd never been born.

While there is the usual complement of 'Culture' you'd find in a university town, the place is far more about Jocks and Beauties showing skin at poolside Luaus. As far as Homes go, it will be hard to compete on that front, too. Every time I go to someone's house there, someone whispers to me which book(s) or magazine(s) it's been published in. People have fabulous taste and spend big. And it's really hard for outsiders to learn, quickly enough, all the subtle do's and don'ts involved in furnishing a florid Southern interior. Frankly, as in Natchez, if you don't have a fabulous house (and Mississippians are perhaps the world's best at somehow having fab homes: even if they've never had a cent) and a fabulous car, then you're going to be sitting over in a corner, feeling miserable.

Check the prices for Zuber et Cie scenic papers (a must for the Foyer, if you aren't having artists in to paint faux-Ashlar, and for the Dining Room), and Scalamandre Brocatelle: those are par for the course (along with Boussac fabrics and heavy Silk Passementerie) in Hattiesburg. Are you comfortable spending several thousand dollars for the drapery at just one window?

Frankly, I'd recommend Jackson to you (Jackson Proper: not one of the outlying townlets). Lots of Culture, HUGE medical center, one of the South's best Organic Whole Foods Co-ops, two weeks less Summer than Hattiesburg, and tons of magnificent homes, already well-decorated and well-landscaped, at reasonable prices.

The Upside of Hattiesburg over Jackson is that Hattiesburg people seem to have very satisfying extramarital affairs there....half the husbands seem to be Gay, and lots of wives carry on with younger men...and their Building Contractors...and their Personal Trainers...and all the Doctors who aren't Gay. And everybody is pretty civil about it. Around Jackson, by contrast, affairs are bigtime dirty, scary things...with Christian 'values' being invoked...bibles being thumped...reputations destroyed...Trophy Wives being slapped into swimming pools... cheating hussies put out onto the street....Babydaddies' Babymommas stabbed by rivals under the Carport.... huge, messy divorces.... So, unless one is truly monogamous, Hattiesburg is way more relaxed (as a bystander, though, I've gotta say I enjoyed Jackson gossip waaaaaay more, since the stakes were so much higher for the players).

But I don't see why you're even considering the South, if California is a viable option for you. The weather is so much better, and you won't have to pretend to be interested in Sports and Beauty Pageants (or have to pretend to not believe in Evolution). Nor will you be incessantly invited to go to church with people, in California. And you won't have to deal with the cryptic style of communication that prevails in the South. Californians are so open and honest. Mississippians use English words and phrases and intonations and body language in ways which confer entirely alternate meanings....meanings which vary, according to context. It is an impenetrable culture, and, while people will be very nice to you, you will always be an outsider. So different from the beach community near LA, where we were insiders by the second time we rented there (Helps to have common interests...like Organic Vegan Cuisine).

And, in contrast to California, Mississippi is not just uniformly hot...it is relatively flat. The highest elevation in the whole state is 800 feet (Woodall 'Mountain', in the North of the state). Louisiana is even flatter. And for all practical purposes, the state has no rocks. Just Red Clay...except in the Delta, where there's 'Buckshot Clay'. The Tri-State Area sits atop a giant field of Yazoo Clay, a problematic substance which changes shape as its moisture content changes, and destroys foundations...and roads... I mean, if you love bare Red Clay, red-brown Sedge Brush, and scrubby Pine Trees (viewed while driving to either Church or Wal-Mart...or the Football Stadium), then you'll be in Heaven.

But try this (though not in Summer): Take Old Highway 2 (leaving I 15, just north of San Bernardino), through the Mountains in the Angeles National Forest (right now, there's probably still snow on the peaks), then on down through Los Angeles....down Sunset Boulevard toward Malibu. Gorgeous Desert; gorgeous Mountains, America's most happening Big City, air-conditioned Beach (perfect temperature and low humidity)....all in an afternoon.

And decorating in California should be a easy, compared to the South. My impression is that (outside Beverly Hills, where I've been in houses which forever warped my mind with their opulence), the object is to achieve the effect of having spent nothing, while utilizing no talent, taste, or effort. Should be a breeze....

In especially salubrious So-Cal microclimates (I'm thinking LaJolla), one can amass collections of finicky Orchids (you know: the ones that don't like it too hot...don't like it too cold....)...and never have to take them inside. In Mississippi, it's too hot for most ROSES, even. But cold snaps in Mississippi kill the tender plants like Citrus and Orchids.

In Mississippi, you can drive for hundreds of miles in any direction, and see nothing but Red Clay and pine trees...all fuzzy, because of the heat and the humidity. And it's kinda scary to know that in all the little towns...all over the vast area that is the Deep South, there's nothing to do, but watch TV, go to Church, go to the Football game, or go to Wal-Mart. Some people are happy with that. Most are just trapped. And you will feel trapped...knowing that you are surrounded by hundreds of miles...basically....of nothing.

Here on the West Coast, we'll soon have an Asian Elite, ruling an Hispanic Underclass. As a native American who looks Chinese (and can pass for Mexican, too), I'll do rather well. In fact, I am doing very well. It took arriving in a new Cayenne, to a home whose preparation my Decorator had orchestrated to photo-shoot-perfect (all I had to do was put down my car keys and shake hands with the new neighbors), but we were A-Listed within months. In Mississippi, that would take a billion dollars and/or a lifetime. I suspect you'll like this side of the country better, too. (BTW, it's my understanding that it's primarily Middle Class Whites, and Blacks, who are being economically displaced and fleeing California. Asians are doing very well there.).

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 04-16-2011 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: and...

Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
GrandViewGloria
I think your posts would be more helpful if you tried to be a bit more objective and not spout everything from your own somewhat distorted lens. California, for example, has its drawbacks. The South has its strong points including high-end housong for a fraction of the cost in California. I know California well--I wouldn't want to live there. Have you been to Modesto or Fresno in the summer?? Could you possibily state facts instead of opinion since your opinions seem to come from a particularly discrete experience. For example, give the actual mean temperatures instead of carrying on about the sizzle and the scorch. You do seem to forget to mention air conditioning does exist. I have lived in the South for decades and don't go to sports stuff, rarely watch TV, and am an atheist and yet I manage to have an interesting life filled with intellectual, culural, and social pursuits. I know some of what you disdain is here--boring lives based on small town limitations and provincial lifestyles. But that is not all there is and you don't seem to get that. One's financial means, educational level, and selection of activities and associates dictates one's milieu. The lowest common denominator of those elements would mean a susstandard existence anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi