U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM

19 posts, read 52,892 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am not sure if there is a forum on life in Hattiesburg recently. I want to know if it would suit us. My husband is a consultant. We have a high school age kid. How easy is it to make friends there? Is there a group of transplants and local people who meet once in a while similar to what the forum on Huntsville, AL says?

I am looking for house on an acre or so. Would I be able to hire any help for maintaining the land and cleaning the house once in a month or two.

Can my son get guitar lessons, he plays jazz music. We are considering to move there to avoid mounds of snow. Any good high school you all can recommend. We like to ride bikes (bought a nice new one 3 years back and could not ride on hilly gravel roads). I guess for entertainment we can drive to Mobile, AL or New Orleans. Is there anything we should know about the city? We are from South Asia, not Christians by religion, but outgoing and like warm friendly people. Any input is appreciated. Can any one post pictures of Hattiesburg! Thank you!

Last edited by rockies09; 04-21-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Add one more sentence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,943,876 times
University of Southern Mississippi has a wonderful music
Program for your son. You should call the school to get him connected. For an acre lot, you should look west of town along highway 98. There are nice lots along Lake Serene and depending on your price range Canebrake is a gorgeous area. The main high school in that area is Oak Grove.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Brickpatio, I will call the both the schools on Monday. Meanwhile I will check their websites. Thank you.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,943,876 times
The School of Music | College of Arts & Letters (http://www.usm.edu/music/index.php/jazz_studies/ - broken link)

Here is the website link at USM music school's jazz studies department...

Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,939,439 times
Depending on your income you want to look at Petal, a nearby small town, where acreage would be availble or Sumrall. Canebrake is a pricey gated community and I don't think that is what you seem to be looking for. You do have choices--and acreage is quite possible-my friend has six acres and she has no problem getting it bushhogged and maintained in the Oak Grove area.
Here are links with more info:
http://www.hattiesburg.org/
//www.facebook.com/pages/Southe...09296175759038

Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Default Hattiesburg-Mississippi

Hello every body! We are finally planning a trip to Hattiesburg. As per Brickpatio"s suggestion I looked into the Music dept. at Southern Miss and liked it. My son is warming up to the idea of moving to Hattiesburg. He is talking about Mississippi being big in the Blues music. We are considering Oak Grove high school and the neighborhoods surrounding it. We like the fact Hattiesburh has 2 universities and mainly Southern Mississippi Uy. in case the kid does not mind going to local college. Older boy in college in St Louis, MO.

Is there any thing for us to check out or drive by that weekend- May 20th and May 21st. I will visit the Rails to Trails. Thanks for any input.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM

I checked the Hattiesburg website the link tama sent. Imarked on our calendar May 20th -
Live@Five performances each Friday night and
USM Baseball vs. Rice

Friday, May 20th - 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
At Pete Taylor Park. '

May 21st:

New Harmonies Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit
Saturday, April 16th - Saturday, May 21st - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Should we check out any other nondenominational high school. I want my son to get some tutoring for ACT and SAT. He will take online Kaplan course.

I was going to visit Shady acres. Looks like it is closed. Called Watermelon patch and was told there are 2 fruit stands nearby. We may not be able to visit Gulf Coast in 2.5 days before we catch our flight from New Orleans. We will try to meet as many people as we can in Hattiesburg. Thanks,

Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,819 times
USM does have an excellent music department. My daughter is a music major there now. They also offer other entertainment venues...their drama department is really good, too. Hattiesburg has a lot more to offer than you may think. I live about half way between New Orleans and Hattiesburg, and prefer Hattiesburg by far over N.O.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,723 times
hey rockies09, me and my parents moved in hattiesburg just a couple of months ago and im also from the south east asia. i just wanna ask what do u think of mississipi right now?? and how was the school that your son is attending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi