Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 160,857 times

Advertisements

My husband has just gotten a job in the Sardis area and we have decided that these two areas seem to be closest to what we are used to. We currently live in Calhoun LA, which is a small town outside of Monroe. So we love the smalltown feel. But if Oxford has better schools then we would not have a problem living in a bigger town. Our children's education is the most important factor for chosen where to live. It is also important that they have a good football program and band. We have loved everything that we have seen on the internet about Senatobia, but I know that it might not be as good as it looks. So I was hoping to get the opinions of people who know both places. I would really appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Oxford has much better schools than Senatobia. Its schools are among the best in the state. Both the football team and bands at Oxford and Lafayette HS are good. Oxford is also much, much nicer than Senatobia. It is consistently ranked as one of the best small towns to live in. However, it is considerably more expensive than Senatobia, and it is a college town. College life rules. If you don't like being around mostly well-off young adults, then you won't like Oxford. The town comes to a screeching halt on football weekends. Lots of wealthy people drinking and dining out. Plenty of cultural activities, plays, music acts, art shows, etc. Senatobia is much more rural, thus everyone knows everyone and it is cheap. Check out Oxford (Mississippi - Wikitravel)

Old 08-01-2007, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,347 times
Default place to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatybugzmom View Post
My husband has just gotten a job in the Sardis area and we have decided that these two areas seem to be closest to what we are used to. We currently live in Calhoun LA, which is a small town outside of Monroe. So we love the smalltown feel. But if Oxford has better schools then we would not have a problem living in a bigger town. Our children's education is the most important factor for chosen where to live. It is also important that they have a good football program and band. We have loved everything that we have seen on the internet about Senatobia, but I know that it might not be as good as it looks. So I was hoping to get the opinions of people who know both places. I would really appreciate the help.
. I live in Hernando and we just love it around here.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-03-2007 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Realtor solicitation

Old 09-13-2007, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,304 times
While I currently reside in Ohio, my family have been in this area of Mississippi for generations. Oxford is a a wonderful town, better schools all the necessary amnities, and it has a rather intersting combination between a college town feel and that of a growing retirement area. The town has a nice college and museums to go with it. My great great great aunts Primitive style art work is in the college art museum (Theora Hamblett).

Now my mother resides in Harmontown (a remote area of the county) ........and she has to drive to Oxford to the Doctor...and to different towns for different needs, grocerys, postoffice, walmart, bank...........like Senatobia, Sardis, Batesville............ Senatobia has a very small town flavor, but it still has alot of nice features and amenities .....especially being near the highway..........and its near enough to several towns (previously mentioned) that you can pretty much find what you need if you are willing to travel around to get them.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 PM

31 posts, read 150,043 times
Default senatobia or Oxford?

I am from Jackson, and it looks like I will be moving to the coast in the next year or so, but anyway I am getting away from my point. Like I stated I am from Jackson, but I attended school and lived in both these of these towns. If I had children I would choose hands down live in Oxford. If you are wanting you children to almost grow up in a modern day "mayberry" if such a thing still exist then it would be Oxford. That does not mean that you must live right inside Oxford and pay the high real estate. You could live just north of the city on highway 7, you could live right in between Oxford and Batesville on highway 6. If you did that you would be about 13 miles from Oxford and about 12 from Batesville. Do as you wish, but I would not raise my children in Senatobia if I could afford to live in the Oxford area. Just my advice to anyone w/o knowing the financial situation. Best of luck.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,348 times
Default Oxford is a beautiful town.

I do enjoy visiting Oxford and see it as a quaint, southern town, but I do think that your previous replies have been wrong in regards to the education quality of the school systems. In 2007 Senatobia Jr/Sr High was ranked second in the state in regards to testing while Oxford enjoyed a ranking of 82 amongst the 189 schools on the list. When I moved to Senatobia it was due to the nationally ranked public school system years ago when my son started first grade. I have been very pleased with the administration and teacher quality offered at the Senatobia school system. I, like you, thought more of the education when deciding where we would reside. Of course, my child is planning on continuing his education in Oxford at the pharmacy school of the University of Mississippi so we'll get there one way or another.

Good luck. I do believe you'll be able to enjoy yourself in either town.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 13,840 times
I grew up in Oxford and have lived/worked in other parts of North MS. I moved back to Oxford as a young adult with a small child - on purpose. It is a wonderful place to raise children, the schools are excellent and there are lots of things in Oxford that you don't necessarily get in other parts of the state. It's true that the town is driven by the university, but it really isn't so bad. The cost of living can be high, or it can be very reasonable, depending on where you want to live. You can have a house with a yard at a reasonable price if you don't mind the 10 - 15 minute drive into town. Regardless of what the residents think, traffic is not an issue. If you've lived in other places, you'll understand that.

There are lots of nice restaurants and several mid-range, family-friendly restaurants. You can even get pretty decent sushi in Oxford.

My only caveat is the shopping - or shall I say the lack thereof? Decent shopping is at least an hour away - either Tupelo, MS or Memphis, TN.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 AM

45 posts, read 196,749 times
If you want to enroll your children in the public school system move to Oxford. Everyone I knew from Senatobia went to the private Magnolia Heights School. The public school system in Senatobia isn't awful, especially compared to other parts of the state, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Senatobia, Hernando, and Oxford are all pretty nice towns though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi