Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:58 PM

15 posts, read 28,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnebraskan View Post
We have been planning on leaving the state for quite a while now. McComb just plain sucks. Today, we had finally decided to put a deposit on a house in the new state. We have been looking at this house for awhile and really like it. I was literally in the process of digging the realtor's card out of my day planner when my phone rang.

I had applied for a job in Hattiesburg ages ago. Nothing came from it, as usual. Well, today, they called me. Apparently a different job has opened up and they thought of me! In Hattiesburg... Nice, professional job with plenty of room for advancement at a well-established business.

My husband has also been offered a job in Hattiesburg, but was planning on turning it down since we had decided to leave the state.

It's like a blackhole! Or a really strong suction cup!

I'd be an idiot to turn this job down. It is the sort of position I have been hunting for since graduating from USM. But I have no idea what to do. The place we were set on moving has better schools then anywhere in MS. The economy is stronger. The weather is different, but I hate the heat, so I'm all for it. But the job I have been offered there isn't in my field and doesn't pay as well. It's still a cool job, but not what I went into student loan debt for, know what I mean?! lol!

So, what makes Hattiesburg awesome? Yes, I went to USM and loved the campus, but I have never really cared for the city. It reminds me a larger version of McComb. If you had to sell Hattiesburg, what would you say?

Outside of the universities - where are the arts? Not crafts, b/c I'm not crafty lol. But actual fine arts... where would I find it? Where do the artists hang out?

I know oak grove is the desirable school district, but what else is there?

I've been told that HB has a lot of gang violence, which I thought was odd, but I have been told so by more than one person.

A friend of mine moved from the coast to HB. She said she hated it, but couldn't really put her finger on why... she has since moved to Vicksburg and loves it.

Being an alumnus, I have discounted access to the Payne, but what other gym options are there? Is there a YMCA?

I ride horses - hunter/jumper. My mare will be relocating wherever I do... whether it is Hattiesburg, Chicago or Denmark! the horse comes (and yes, I have actually priced shipping my mare to Denmark, as I have family there who have offered to sponsor me anytime I would like to make the move... pipedream...). Problem is, I am not aware of a single equestrian park near HB. I currently have to commute to Folsom, LA. Where are the english riders?

I just spent the afternoon at Turtle Creek and Gatti's Town. Neither of those are selling points lmao! Though, I do say that they're both better than anything McComb has to offer in similar terms.
You almost seem to have answered your own question with the statement "I'd be an idiot to turn this job down" along with the rest of the paragraph you wrote. I'm not saying you're an idiot lol, just in case you might be thinking that, I'm only quoting what seems like your instinct.

So are the schools that much better where the house out of state is than Hattiesburg? Would they be better if you lived in Lamar county if you picked Hattiesburg? It's not often someone gets the type of offer they want regarding their education in this economy. Is it the career path you'd like to stay on with pay that would make up for things you'd give up? It sounds like you're very impressed with the opportunity. Also sounds like your husband supports your decision either way (always a big plus).

Have you looked at the online papers for the area, like Hattiesburg American | Hattiesburg news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Hattiesburg, Mississippi | hattiesburgamerican.com or
other area newspapers for what's going on locally lately in the news, editorials etc? Sometimes they're informative (google newspapers for the city\state). A lot of your questions might be answered there first, to a degree, the arts etc. I'd also look at the demographics for the area, things change over time (I don't know when you were there last).

Would it be possible to buy a home there if you didn't want to rent? You mentioned you might be in the market to own. Maybe write down the pros and cons of the options with your husband, see how it looks with all things considered. If it's a job you want that much, and he's been offered a job he'd like, it sounds promising. You won't escape the hot humid weather of course if you decide to stay but I've heard nothing really negative about Hattiesburg otherwise. I'd go spend a day there if it were me, if you could take the time, if might make your decision easier.

I hope you don't have to decide quickly on the job, it would be great if you could visit the place, grab some local papers, go look around at what you're interested in etc. I know this wasn't helpful on info for Hattiesburg itself, I do understand the conflict with the decision though. You're not asking to be "sold" Hattiesburg, you're somewhat asking how to decide which future to "buy"..... If you hate everything but the job about Hattiesburg, then you probably wouldn't be happy there, or anywhere under that circumstance (no one would). If it were me, I'd go visit, ask some people in stores, that are somehow related to your questions etc. Pick up (if there) an info or biz packet from the city chamber of commerce, kind of investigating the area. Just a few suggestions, it'd be interesting to hear what you learn and what you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnebraskan View Post
Although I understand what you are saying, I think you're missing the point................I may not be a neurosurgeon, but I do want to apply my education to my career........
And it appears you are on the way........

Education, after all, is an all encompassing, life long adventure. Even mistakes are part of education - or should be. I am retired now, but in my working life, I, too, found myself trained in one area and working in another. Not to worry. Forge ahead or change direction, but do not allow yourself to sit on the sidelines..

Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Lost In case you do decide to take the HB position, don't be too upset about your children's schooling and interests. My son was educated here and had wonderful opportunities. USM had camps and programs galore. The coast has marine camps. Stennis may have stuff. The library does. Scouts? Suziki? Clubs? What I found were numerous opportunities in the summer and after school for enrichment that in the end culminated in an education second to none. We travelled as well.

Sports are available and as I said the middle and high schools do have the arts. When my son was in graduate school for his masters and doctorate he told me he felt he had an educational background that was stronger than most of his colleagues. Many of his classmates are doctors, attorneys, and college professors as well as pursuing the arts in such places as NYC. It takes more work and money than elsewhere, perhaps, but it is not a given that they will lose out on their futures.

Perhaps through the local parent-school assoc.s you could get some contact with some parents of your children's age and ask about what is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi