U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,620 times

Advertisements

What is life in MS like for non-Christian folks? Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, secular humanist, atheist, agnostic - whatever. Is there hostility? Can folks integrate into other aspects of society easily?

I've heard it can be challenging as much of MS society is built upon (Christian) church life - preschools, youth activities, scouting, social gatherings, etc. - and Christianity is pretty omnipresent, even in public settings like schools, government, etc.

Anyone have any personal experiences? Are non-Christian children accepted by their peers? Is there a lot of proselytizing? Or public displays of (Christian) religion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 06:14 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,529,838 times
I've heard that secular humanists really know how to party! I live in Arkansas, but can't say I've seen one of their temples.

I did talk to two guys in ties from Utah that told me Adam & Eve lived in a Kansas City suburb at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Paul View Post
What is life in MS like for non-Christian folks? Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, secular humanist, atheist, agnostic - whatever. Is there hostility? Can folks integrate into other aspects of society easily?

I've heard it can be challenging as much of MS society is built upon (Christian) church life - preschools, youth activities, scouting, social gatherings, etc. - and Christianity is pretty omnipresent, even in public settings like schools, government, etc.

Anyone have any personal experiences? Are non-Christian children accepted by their peers? Is there a lot of proselytizing? Or public displays of (Christian) religion?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 PM

767 posts, read 2,099,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Paul View Post
Christianity is pretty omnipresent, even in public settings like schools, government, etc.
If you try to spend any United States of America coins, just make sure they have the phrase "In GOD we trust" and you will be ok.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:08 AM

18,769 posts, read 11,094,185 times
Non-Christian?
Nah, it's not an issue. I'm a non-Christian. I'm used to people assuming I am a Christian just because I'm a white man from Mississippi. It doesn't bother me.

There are 3 questions you get asked here in the South:
1. Where do you work?
2. Who are you kin to?
3. Where do you go to church?

The first two are pretty straight forward, even for me. I have no real relatives except for my wife.

#3....Ans. I never go to church. I just don't like going to church.

For some reason they simply accept that answer and just continue the conversation. When people pray around me I just politely do whatever they are doing. No reason to make an issue, I feel.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,331,627 times
I think some of it depends on where you are. Some of the college towns and coastal areas are more accepting. I knew a Chinese kid when I was in HS who told people he was a Christian because he hated the proselytizing.

When I lived in MS, I was a Christian. I have since left the religion, but very few people there know that so I don't know for sure how it would be. I assume that as long as a person believes in something - Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism, etc. - that people would ask questions but respect your faith. If you are an atheist and open about it (like my friend tried to be), you would have a much harder time.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:33 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,610,552 times
Jews, Buddhists, and Hindus are welcome in Mississippi. Practitioners of more pushy and evil religions are most definitely unwelcome. But good heavens! There are waaaaaaay bigger problems in Mississippi than alien religions. An easy half of the state's population is severely problematic. People are worried about being raped and robbed by members of the Underclass...not about the Hindus down the street. And Hindus, Buddhists and Jews generally steer clear of Mississippi...not because of intolerant Christians...but because of the state's permanent (and expanding) underclass. The presence of that underclass (not 'intolerance') is why you should seriously reconsider moving to Mississippi.

As a friend from New York once told me, "This is the first place where people liked me BECAUSE I was Jewish. Elsewhere, they liked me DESPITE my being Jewish."

But unless you have gobs of money, don't expect the acceptance to go beyond polite tolerance. Mississippians tend to hang with people precisely like themselves. And that conformity is fine-tuned to an unimaginable degree. Remember, most people in the state are from families who have been there for two centuries. It is an insular and impenetrable culture. It's not that you're being rejected for what you are: you're simply being left out for not being precisely what they are. People will be nice. But you can expect to be kept at arm's-length for as long as you live there.

Outsiders pretty much get a free pass, where criticism is concerned. Mississippians generally reserve their critique and disdain for their own. Yes, there is a lot of overt public Christianity. Generally, that's a good thing. But when they drag Jesus into Football, etc., I think the line is crossed (personally, I consider that to be Blasphemy).

But again, if you have loads of money, there is a certain set who will invite you to their galas, and whose kids will hang with your kids, because you have the requisite Children's Den in your house, and because you can carpool to the (requisite) private schools in a G-class. Particularly in the Jackson Metro, what you have is all you are. Wealth is the primary criterion for social stratification in Mississippi.

Funny, but I've been told by two different Christian friends, about a very white family of 'Holy Rollers', who have moved into a nice house on a well-traveled Madison street. Apparently they are not poor, because they've replaced everything in the house (OCD personalities, maybe?). They have cut down every shrub in the yard, and are not replanting. Now, they've stuck a Pro-life 'campaign' poster out by the curb. The neighbors are incensed. I've never heard such an outrcry about Buddhists or Hindus (unless they cut down the shrubbery, or put up colored lights at Christmas). So, you see, acceptance is far more contingent upon style than upon belief.

Mississippi is a good place to live, if: you are a Protestant of Celtic descent; a Catholic of German, Lebanese, or Sicilian descent; or a (Reform) Jew. Otherwise, I think you will forever feel like a fish out of water. (come to think of it, my Lebanese friends are leaving Mississippi in droves...greener pastures... And every one of my Chinese Baptist friends has moved to an IQ Mecca in another state. The German Catholics still seem happy there, though.)

Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,279,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Jews, Buddhists, and Hindus are welcome in Mississippi.
My hometown of Batesville has a Buddhist Monastery, one of only three in the U.S. that encourage the practice of mindfulness based on Thich Nhat Hahn’s teaching. They are well accepted in the community and host speeches and meditation sessions, with invites to anyone who would like to attend.

Not my thing, but I fully respect their right to practice what they wish. One thing I respect about them is their stance against violence, not only against people but any living thing. If there were more people like that it would be a much better world.

http://www.panolian.com/v2/content.a...&MemberID=1180

Old 10-05-2011, 03:16 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,279,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
My hometown of Batesville has a Buddhist Monastery, one of only three in the U.S. that encourage the practice of mindfulness based on Thich Nhat Hahn’s teaching. They are well accepted in the community and host speeches and meditation sessions, with invites to anyone who would like to attend.

Not my thing, but I fully respect their right to practice what they wish. One thing I respect about them is their stance against violence, not only against people but any living thing. If there were more people like that it would be a much better world.

The Panolian, Zen Master
Just thought I might share an article in the Batesville newspaper regarding the latest gathering at the Magnolia Grove Monastery. It is the account of a journalist from the newspaper.

Mississippi is really not the evil, racist, closed minded place some think it to be, nor is it perfect by any means, but I thought this was a good example of tolerance and willingness to learn about others.

The Panolian, Emily Williams column

Old 10-05-2011, 03:16 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,158,739 times
Jackson, MS has a Jewish congregation and temple, supported by over 200 Jewish families, for what its worth. They also have a female Rabbi, which is considered pretty progressive.

Beth Israel Congregation | Jackson, MS | Staff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi