Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM

159 posts, read 263,537 times

Advertisements

In general Black Jaguar and other Black Panther sightings have been reported in various areas across the United States, including but not limited to Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky and Mississippi. Few of the sightings are officially documented and it is hard to know sometimes if the sightings are authentic. It is possible that some of these black panther sightings are indeed cougars with black pigmentation or even smaller cats such as a Jaguarundi or a black colored bobcat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Down in Florida below Tampa, I think, I saw a large black cat bound across the road. It was about the size of a German Shepard with a fairly long tail. Everyone told me there are no black panthers in Florida.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 15,527 times
Default Dec 7 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
Back in November 05, I was traveling to Atlanta from the Mississippi Delta, it's was 4:00 am, and as I was riding near Leroy Percy Park, I saw what may have been a panther! I had my high beams on, as I was passing this animal, it was getting low in a ditch so I only caught a quick glimpse but what I saw had a detailed muscle structure, I ve heard of panthers being black, tawny, but this animal was dark grey like a pittbull! Just wanted to know have anyone ever seen a panther that color and can you share the panther encounters you may have had throughout Mississippi, thank you!
I saw one tonight same description I was scared. It ran out towards my car. At first I thought it was a small animal until it came towards my car. Then it was big black teeth cat eyes long tail. Not a dog

Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilansmom08 View Post
I saw one tonight same description I was scared. It ran out towards my car. At first I thought it was a small animal until it came towards my car. Then it was big black teeth cat eyes long tail. Not a dog
Yeah that do sound scary mam! That's up close.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Down in Florida below Tampa, I think, I saw a large black cat bound across the road. It was about the size of a German Shepard with a fairly long tail. Everyone told me there are no black panthers in Florida.

I've been down in that area twice.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 15,307 times
Exclamation Black Panther in MS

Just from what I've read on-line, panthers are basically cougars. There are a few black panthers. The same way a cat might have kittens and out of seven one might turn out to be black. It's basically a color mutation. The only true panthers remotely close to Mississippi is the "Florida Panther", which went nearly extinct. There are still only less than 2-3 hundred left. The males do venture far from where they were born, while the females stay pretty much in the area that their mothers are located. I don't dismiss the idea that there are not a panther or two in MS, but I have lived in remote MS very close to the LA line for 43 years and have never been luck enough to see a panther. I feel privileged to see an occasional Bob Cat. But even they are rarely seen. Growing up I heard all the stories about "black panthers". I've heard when they make a noise it sounds like a woman screaming. I do know that they are incapable of roaring from reading about them, but other than making a loud hissing type growl that normal domestic cats make, I don't know what they sound like.
I do, wish we would do more to preserve these creatures. They are almost gone from the face of the earth and in North America to say they are endangered; is a major understatement. Check out the Florida Panther, if you were lucky enough to see a panther in MS that's probably what you are going to see. If you happen to be hunting please don't feel the need to shoot such an endangered an majestic animal that probably poses you no threat! Just to say "I shot a panther!!!" Contrary to popular belief there is a difference between "Redneck" and " [mod] language removed [/mod] Redneck" , try not to be the latter. You give us a bad name. LOL. Seriously!!!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-01-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I dunno from panther, but I have a friend who says he's dating a cougar.....

Old 06-30-2013, 12:40 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,012,991 times
"Panther" is just the eastern American term for mountain lion ("catamount" is another) and that population in the western U. S. is healthy and expanding its range eastward, with verified sightings in states where it had been extirpated more than a century ago.

As a previous poster said, the only resident population in the eastern U. S. is the Florida sub-species, whose numbers are so low it is genetically impoverished. I know of a single ranch in far west Texas where six lions were trapped and released in Florida and I don't doubt there were others from other places. It is very likely that these animals would attempt to return to their old range, which could explain some sightings. A close relative who I know was telling the truth told me of seeing a full-grown mountain lion of normal color about ten years ago cross an open field in broad daylight a few yards from him near Duck Hill.

I grew up hearing tales of "black panthers" but any wildlife biologist would tell you there has never been any such thing in North America except for possibly some rare mutated individual.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I dunno from panther, but I have a friend who says he's dating a cougar.....
Man, LMAO!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM

428 posts, read 848,527 times
I saw one going down 98 from McComb, MS to Hattiesburg, Ms one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi