Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM

442 posts, read 540,330 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about either of these schools and the towns they are in? I'm considering applying to them for graduate school and have always romanticized Mississippi as a blues and jazz aficionado. Both are well ranked in my program of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
What is your program of interest. USM almost lost it's accreditation a couple of years ago.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM

17,806 posts, read 13,708,449 times
IMO they are a lot different. Ole Miss: Traditonal southern rich kid's school. Very beautiful campus. SEC. Social school. Significant number of rich out of state kids attending. Snobby, quasiliberal.
Oxford: Small and looks almost like a tourist town promoting the old south. Neat place but seems kind of storybook. Very clean, well kept. Very unique. Probably like a more isolated, smaller Chapel Hill, NC

USM: Typical regional state university. Very average campus. Normal people attending mostly from Mississippi. Very much like Troy State in Alabama, Middle Tennessee, or Louisiana Tech.

Hattiesberg: Normal regular town. Decent size, seems fairly prosperous. Not quaint like Oxford, but still some nice neighboorhoods and such. More fast food and eating places than Oxford, normal shopping with maybe less upcale places than Oxford.

Both are nice but both are definately different. Depends on what you like best. I go back and forth.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,440,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
What can you tell me about either of these schools and the towns they are in? I'm considering applying to them for graduate school and have always romanticized Mississippi as a blues and jazz aficionado. Both are well ranked in my program of interest.
There is no appreciation of Jazz in Mississippi. If you come to this state expecting to find jazz lovers, jazz clubs, major acts stopping through, you will be VERY disappointed.

Blues is all over the place in MS, but not jazz.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,247,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
There is no appreciation of Jazz in Mississippi. If you come to this state expecting to find jazz lovers, jazz clubs, major acts stopping through, you will be VERY disappointed.

Blues is all over the place in MS, but not jazz.
I agree with this. For real jazz you'll have to go to either Memphis (somewhat close to Oxford) or New Orleans (a few hours from Hattiesburg). Maybe a few clubs along the coast, the closer to Louisiana the better.

Also I mostly agree with edie glen's characterizations, except maybe Oxford isn't ALL rich-white-preppie kid. Lots of rich English majors (home of Faulkner), plus law and med students, but also engineers and art majors. Definitely more preppie-types than at USM, but there are also "normal" students in the mix.

Full Disclosure: I'm a Miss State graduate, so GTHOM!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,091,373 times
I can't tell you much about Ole Miss except it has a beautiful campus and Oxford is a charming little town. It all seems in the middle of nowhere to me, but I always hear Memphis is "down the road". I think it would be great for an undergrad but an older grad student may find the atmosphere a bit suffocating--just my opinion--but I don't care for parties and campus life.

But I live in Hattiesburg and do know USM. It has an average campus, an energetic atmosphere, and some very good programs. It also has less wealth within its student body and no medical, law, or engineering school. It has a nationally prestigious polymer science program and a Fine Arts program that is well-recognized. The school doesn't offer much in terms of interesting lectures, art films, or other stimulating intellectual pursuits outside of the classroom. That doesn't mean never--just not like a really rigorous academic campus would. An exception is the music school which brings all sorts of greats to perform. Hattiesburg is near the coast and New Orleans--about an hour and 15 minutes from the coast and an hour and 40 mins. from New Orleans. (Saints games are within an easy drive.) It is larger than Oxford but I don't know that it has much more to offer unless you value shopping venues and restaurants. It is loaded with these. There are some hangouts with a music scene--the university itself never provides entertainment--it is a suitcase school. Lots of fitness places--good facility on campus--and has several golf courses. Nice bike trail about forty miles in length. Farmer's markets, small zoo, arty downtown---

Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM

301 posts, read 1,327,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
What is your program of interest. USM almost lost it's accreditation a couple of years ago.
Almost lost accreditation in what program?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:58 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,412 times
USM Accreditation threatened.

History News Network (http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/8956.html - broken link)

Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
USM Accreditation threatened.

History News Network (http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/8956.html - broken link)

Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 AM

537 posts, read 824,087 times
[quote=Tama;22335074]I can't tell you much about Ole Miss except it has a beautiful campus and Oxford is a charming little town. It all seems in the middle of nowhere to me, but I always hear Memphis is "down the road". I think it would be great for an undergrad but an older grad student may find the atmosphere a bit suffocating--just my opinion--but I don't care for parties and campus life.

Wouldn't Memphis be "up the road" from Oxford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi