Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM

7 posts, read 35,458 times

Advertisements

Relocating from Michigan and my husband has a good deal on a canal lot in Shoreline Park near Bay St. Louis. Can anyone tell me about this area - schools, kid friendly, rebuilding, churches, parks, etc.. I have 3 kids and what school district and/or elementary or middle school they would attend. Is this an area where private schools would be suggested versus public. I'm reading things on different threads about private being better in MS. Is this true?

Prior to this great deal on the lot, we were possibly looking at Ocean Springs. Which would you choose? I know Shoreline in probably rebuilding more since more damage from Katrina, but the water access is a big plus.

Thanks any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 12:25 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,804 times
go with ocean springs.
shoreline park has had problems with flooding and problems with building.
some people could not get permits to build due to wetlands regulations.

-this has been in the past, not sure of lately.
best of luck.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:18 PM

29 posts, read 155,789 times
Shore Line park is an area that had alot of problems before the Hurricane. Since the Hurricane, Bay St. Louis and Waveland still have a great deal of destruction and have not recovered well. The bridge that connects Bay St. Louis to Hwy.90 just reopened last week and that was only 1 side of the bridge.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 PM

29 posts, read 155,789 times
The public school system for Bay St. Louis is Hancock County Schools and Ocean Springs would be Jackson County. There was two very good private schools located in Bay St. Louis, but the Hurricane destroyed them, I do not know if they are rebuiling ( St.Stanislaus-all boy, and Our Lady of Academy O.L.A.-all girl)

Old 08-09-2007, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,704 times
I am moving to Shoreline Park from an exclusive area of Pass Christian, because my husband loves to boat. He cannot trailor the boat anymore. If you love boating and the water you will love Shoreline Park.

I'm not saying Ocean Springs is bad, it is wonderful, but Bay St. Louis is much cheaper and has a charm of it's own! The progress in Bay St. Louis is great compared to here in Pass Christian IMHO.

St.Stanislaus is now open, but the Bay Waveland School district is not bad at all. I think they are still rebuilding and you should check out each town's website and the school's websites.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Wildlady; 08-09-2007 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Adding school info

Old 08-12-2007, 12:20 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,490 times
Actually the Bay/Waveland school district is the school system for the Bay St. Louis area. Hancock County schools are outside of the incorporated areas.

If I were you, I would choose Ocean Springs. My FIL has land in Shoreline park and can't get rid of it. It floods when it rains heavy in certain areas. It is still recovering alot, and most people haven't rebuilt. It is also very hit and miss--you may have great neighbors next to someone who lives in a small trailer and doesn't keep things up. Also, there is getting to be a lrage problem with drugs in Hancock County. Ocean Springs has much better schools, access to water, and a great cultural community.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 AM

21 posts, read 222,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
Actually the Bay/Waveland school district is the school system for the Bay St. Louis area. Hancock County schools are outside of the incorporated areas.

If I were you, I would choose Ocean Springs. My FIL has land in Shoreline park and can't get rid of it. It floods when it rains heavy in certain areas. It is still recovering alot, and most people haven't rebuilt. It is also very hit and miss--you may have great neighbors next to someone who lives in a small trailer and doesn't keep things up. Also, there is getting to be a lrage problem with drugs in Hancock County. Ocean Springs has much better schools, access to water, and a great cultural community.
I live in Hancock Co. And will agree with what was said, I would recomend the North part of the County North of Kiln, Shoreline Park is a trashy area. Not saying all people there were bad not the case but they had more than there fare share prestorm. A lot of the decent folks from the flood areas have been moving inland.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 9,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf2421 View Post
I live in Hancock Co. And will agree with what was said, I would recomend the North part of the County North of Kiln, Shoreline Park is a trashy area. Not saying all people there were bad not the case but they had more than there fare share prestorm. A lot of the decent folks from the flood areas have been moving inland.
I cannot believe that you said that for many reasons:
1. It makes you sound like a snob-"trashy" is an insult and for whoever made the remark about "trailors" you should be ashamed, too! Sorry state when you put down people for any reason. I will correct your English -"fare" is "fair", "recomend" is spelled "recommend" and we won't go into using comma usage! Maybe the educational system is better in the Shoreline Park area.

2. Who are these "decent folks" you speak of moving inland?? Are you saying if you are not rich you are not decent?? Who made you the one who determine who is decent or not?

LoneWolf, I am seldom offended, but I can see why you are a "LoneWolf". Your mind is not only closed it is nailed shut!! Everything about your post was insulting to the very nice and kind people who live in and love Shoreline Park! Many of those people are close friends of mine and they would give even you the shirt off your back if you needed it, really!

Old 09-03-2007, 01:00 AM

268 posts, read 1,014,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlady View Post
I cannot believe that you said that for many reasons:
1. It makes you sound like a snob-"trashy" is an insult and for whoever made the remark about "trailors" you should be ashamed, too! Sorry state when you put down people for any reason. I will correct your English -"fare" is "fair", "recomend" is spelled "recommend" and we won't go into using comma usage! Maybe the educational system is better in the Shoreline Park area.

2. Who are these "decent folks" you speak of moving inland?? Are you saying if you are not rich you are not decent?? Who made you the one who determine who is decent or not?

LoneWolf, I am seldom offended, but I can see why you are a "LoneWolf". Your mind is not only closed it is nailed shut!! Everything about your post was insulting to the very nice and kind people who live in and love Shoreline Park! Many of those people are close friends of mine and they would give even you the shirt off your back if you needed it, really!

I said something about people living in small trailers in Shoreline park....as I sit in my own mobile home. There is a difference between a person who lives in a nice mobile home that they upkeep and a person who lives in one who doesn't. If you read the post, I mentioned the people that don't keep their stuff up. The fact is the fact--if one were to choose, Ocean Springs is way nicer than Shoreline Park. My uncle used to live in Shoreline Park off Avenue B and my husband grew up there. I can speak from experience. No one ever said there aren't nice people there. I even said that you can have great neighbors next to less than desirable people. That is just the way it is---no sense in sugar coating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi