Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 18,205 times

Advertisements

I have been living here in Meridian for almost two years now. I'm from the midwest by birth, and overall not very used to the south and its traditions. Overall I have found this town to be very depressing with very little to do in the way of shopping, places to visit, good food, and entertainment. I recently read a thread on Greenville Mississippi. People say the absolute worst things about the city. Saying it's the poorest, most racist, and rundown city in the south. Full of crime, corruption, and overall declination of all kinds. I thought Meridian was bad, but is Greenville that much worse?

By the way, here is that thread on Greenville. //www.city-data.com/forum/missi...l-costs-6.html

So can someone tell me what some of the good things about Meridian are?

And can someone tell me what the bad things about Meridian are? Is crime known to be bad around here? I don't see much of the police around here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 AM

106 posts, read 398,733 times
Default Meridian

"..........very little to do in the way of shopping, places to visit, good food, and entertainment......"

All small, low population cities have the same problem in that respect, whether they are in the Midwest or in Mississippi. That's not a Mississippi issue.

And, Meridian does have a very modern, very nice regional shopping mall, with other shopping developed around it. - Meridian's shopping mall is much superior to the two similar malls in Jackson. (I'm not comparing it with Renaissance Mall in Ridgeland (Jackson suburb), which is in a class by itself.)

You also might be interested in learning about "The Meridianites". - How many cities have former residents who have conventions? Calendar of Events

I have spent a lot of time in Meridian over the years - and I didn't find crime to be any different than anywhere else. Meridian Police are very visible. I'm surprised you don't regularly see their patrol cars on the streets. I see them regularly, when I am there.

It's a small city - and it isn't somewhere I would choose to live, for that reason. I prefer Madison, a suburb of Jackson, which is part of that greater metropolitan area.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 PM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
I have just laid in a manifesto, haha, on Meridian that you can find here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/missi...dian-like.html

But i have to be honest, I have not been there in a decade. There may be MORE to do or less, so I can't
help you in that. But it is not like a town like Portland OR or Nashville, TN or even Memphis, where
you have a seemingly built in world where there is something going on at all times around the clock.
In fact it is as far from that as you can likely get. And like Blarney said, that's MS, not Meridian.
Meridian is kind of great in comparison to some towns. Natchez is about as cool as you can get if
you are looking to compare with nationally known fun towns. But everything everywhere is a drive-to-this,
drive-to-that in MS. I hate to see people always lead off with "the shopping is good" since there is
only so much money you have or stuff you can acquire. I guess it helps to know what you seek that
would make it up to your expectations. But if it's drinking, trying to get laid, eating, shopping, then
you can find it. If it's cultural events, they are meted out on a timed and infrequent basis in my memory.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 13,931 times
Modern shopping mall?!!! Have you lived in this town all your life? That mall is a pit....4 well-known stores pulled out of that mall in the last 12 months. Empty stores everywhere. The entire city is a black hole. I have lived in many places in my life, and this city (and state of MS) is the worst place I have ever lived. Counting down the days till I leave. Can't be soon enough.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM

9 posts, read 37,501 times
I can't think of any good things about Meridian, really. The newspaper is a joke, FULL of errors and misspellings. If you need medical care, there are several hospital facilities grouped in the downtown area, all within walking distance of each other, which is fine if you're in search of health care. Right now, there are NO jobs available. I have been applying for local jobs for over four years, with NO success at all. So, I'm quite ready to get a uhaul and move on. Someone with a nursing degree would probably have no problems finding a job here, but I understand burnout is rampant. They promote the heck out of the fancy downtown theaters, but prices are outrageous; I never go to their concerts or events. Walmart is about your only choice for groceries; they have driven almost all other supermarkets out of business.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreyear View Post
Modern shopping mall?!!! Have you lived in this town all your life? That mall is a pit....4 well-known stores pulled out of that mall in the last 12 months. Empty stores everywhere. The entire city is a black hole. I have lived in many places in my life, and this city (and state of MS) is the worst place I have ever lived. Counting down the days till I leave. Can't be soon enough.
What 4 stores pulled out?

you're right though, that mall is full of empty stores. However, new stores keep coming and taking their place, but it's usually locally owned and cheap businesses. I'm surprised Dillards is able to stay open, doesn't seem like there is much of a high income group of people in the area that would shop there.

There are worse places than Meridian. I just got off one of the Greenville threads, a city the same size with no mall, no cinema, no chain restaurants, no colleges, and a crime rate far higher.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:20 PM

159 posts, read 263,537 times
Its an official retirement community, some bars and night life but limited, OK shopping but doesnt everyone use the internet now because its 2012, cost of living is cheap, for me anyway and i dont live in poor filth or federal income housing, never been victimized or vandalized. drawback of anyother small town in this whole country applies!!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
There are worse places than Meridian. I just got off one of the Greenville threads, a city the same size with no mall, no cinema, no chain restaurants, no colleges, and a crime rate far higher.
Greenville DOES have the Greenville Mall and the Nelco Cinema. It also has chain restaurants, but nothing fancier than a Garfield's Restaurant and Pub. It also has the Greenville Higher Learning Center.

GHEC - home

God bless.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Greenville DOES have the Greenville Mall and the Nelco Cinema. It also has chain restaurants, but nothing fancier than a Garfield's Restaurant and Pub. It also has the Greenville Higher Learning Center.

GHEC - home

God bless.
My bad I was thinking of Vicksburg for a second.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 37,501 times
At present, crime in Meridian is rampant. Probably worse than it has ever been. One would be very wise to stay away from this overgrown cesspool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi