U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM

45 posts, read 86,031 times

Advertisements

I'd like to take a road trip this summer to MS. I never been but I do have somewhat of a plan. I think I'd like to take I-40 to Nashville then take the Natchez Trace Parkway down across the state to the Jackson area. Then I'd find my way to Highway 61 to head north thorugh the delta to Memphis and then back home on I-40. This is just a rough plan of what I'd like to do. Please give any suggestions about better routes you may know of, places I can stop for fuel and lodging, as well as things I should stop for as far as attractions. I might end up taking several trips to different sections of the state instead of trying to see a whole bunch in one trip. This trip is mostly to see the state's countryside but I'd also like to see some of the older towns too. Any positive suggestions are welcome!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM

49,990 posts, read 49,659,712 times
I know it is the most direct route from Nashville, but I personally think the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Tupelo etc. is bo-ring. It is primarily trees trees TREES along a windy, two-lane road the whole way. There are a couple of historic stops along the way, but nothing really worth stopping for (unless you're a huge Meriwether Lewis fan) considering how much driving you will be doing anyway.

Personally, I like Hwy 64 through southern TN, stopping at Shiloh National Battlefield, then heading south into Corinth and Tupelo. You could jump on the Trace in Tupelo, if you want.

I definitely think 61 through the Delta is a great choice. Best way to see the bluffs on the way into Memphis.

I'm glad someone wants to experience the flavor of this part of the country. Just be prepared with a great iPod list because that is a LOT of driving.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM

45 posts, read 86,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I know it is the most direct route from Nashville, but I personally think the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Tupelo etc. is bo-ring. It is primarily trees trees TREES along a windy, two-lane road the whole way. There are a couple of historic stops along the way, but nothing really worth stopping for (unless you're a huge Meriwether Lewis fan) considering how much driving you will be doing anyway.

Personally, I like Hwy 64 through southern TN, stopping at Shiloh National Battlefield, then heading south into Corinth and Tupelo. You could jump on the Trace in Tupelo, if you want.

I definitely think 61 through the Delta is a great choice. Best way to see the bluffs on the way into Memphis.

I'm glad someone wants to experience the flavor of this part of the country. Just be prepared with a great iPod list because that is a LOT of driving.
Thank you for your suggestions. I researched Corinth and it sounds like a town I'd like to visit. I'm real interested in anything to do with the War, and seems like Corinth has a lot to offer. I'll probably take the route you mentioned.

I've heard a lot about the delta, both good and bad. I'd like to experience it for myself. I've seen pictures from there and I thinks it's got a beautiful and unique landscape.

I'm looking forward to visiting, it's my ancestrial home. I love and appreciate my southern culture and heritage. I feel like visiting the state my family came from will help me appreciate it more.

Again, thank you for your help!!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM

My people on my dad's side are from there too, from Kosciusko over to Cleveland and up to Potts Camp.

I know it's not the French Riviera, but the Delta is unique. If it's meaningful and relevant to you, of course, a trip there will mean more.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 PM

11,410 posts, read 15,459,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

me
Are you serious? I drove the Natchez Trace Parkway from Tupelo to Nashville and thought it was phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. I did this last summer. I also drove the segment between Jackson and Natchez, which was also phenomenal. Someday I hope to do the segment between Jackson and Tupelo though.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 AM

Yeah, I'm serious. That's my opinion, and I said as much. Compared to Hwy 64 and the rural scenery, I think the Trace is boring.

I guess it depends on your definition of "phenomenal."

An advantage of the trace is that you don't have to deal with semi trucks.
In Middle Tennessee, one big disadvantage to the Trace is that there are so many cyclists to maneuver around.

That, and the boredom.

(JK, nep!)

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM

55 posts, read 123,437 times
I think the trace is phenomenal. Especially the first time you drive on it. I took the Trace to Natchez and to Jackson the first couple of months I lived here. Now I take Highway 61 and 55 because after awhile it does get tedious to go 50 miles per hour. But for a first time....I think you should take the Trace at least part of the way. It's 50 miles an hour without any semi's. It's very pretty.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,394,366 times
Mississippi Blues Trail - The Mississippi Blues Trail - Home
As I drove 61 this past weekend, I kept seeing small, brown road signs so I figured I need to look up what I keep missing.

You better diet now so you won't worry about gaining any weight.
Greetings from the Tamale Trail | An SFA Documentary Project
DOE'S EAT PLACE

I've only eaten at the original in Greenville, MS and one of the franchises in Little Rock. Greenville is always much, much better. But the last time was a little different. They opened the day after Christmas but Little Doe wasn't cooking. The only other family owned restaurant is in Paducah and the owner was back home in Greenville so he was cooking. Hands down one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. My wife and I split a porterhouse that was bigger than the dinner plate. Better than me telling it, look at it for yourself.

Greenville, MS - Doe's Eat Place - YouTube

Old 01-16-2012, 03:16 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,352,812 times
I've been wanting to visit MS as well. I really want to visit Robert Johnson's gravesites. He had such a big influence on blues rock bands from the 60s and 70s. Especially Eric Clapton. Thought about bringing my guitar and playing by his gravesite just for the hell of it.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:18 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,278,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I've been wanting to visit MS as well. I really want to visit Robert Johnson's gravesites. He had such a big influence on blues rock bands from the 60s and 70s. Especially Eric Clapton. Thought about bringing my guitar and playing by his gravesite just for the hell of it.
Being from North Carolina, you may have heard of Daniel "Slick" Ballinger. He came to Mississippi in 2002 to live with and learn from the legendary Otha Turner in Gravel Springs. In 2003, on the day of his high school graduation, he moved to Como to follow his love of the blues.

I got to see him live at a private party in Batesville and he was awesome. He got international acclaim representing the Howlin' Wolf Blues Society of West Point in the 2004 International Blues Challenge. He signed a record deal and began playing shows all over the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Jamaica. He also won an award for best new blues artist.

He has since stopped playing the blues, and has gotten into Gospel. Great talent from North Carolina.

http://www.slicksblues.com/index.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi