U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 AM

114 posts, read 470,249 times

Advertisements

like many unemployed in this state and country, I rely on this at the moment. But it seems this particular part of the state (Lamar County) wants to screw me over seeing as I am nothing more than an independent with no income atm.

Heres the situation,

I was working in 2010 on a temp job for 6 months at 9.00/hr and the EBT was giving me $133.00

I found out earlier last year that this was a mistaken and was thought that I was earning close to $400 biweekly, still that equates to $800 a month if I was working bi-weekly at that rate, this is $400 before Taxes. This was a county error.

I was on unemployment almost all of 2011 at $164 a week coming out to less than $700 a month, more like $650 and they EBT total was $71 a month.
(Make sense? it dont to me considering they was giving me $133 a month back in 2010 for what they thought was a bi-weekly pay check of $400)

I was up for re-certification about June of 2011 when I went to work again at $7.95 an hour, I figure at 40 hours a week at that rate it wasnt even worth going to recertify for.

After that job ended, I went to reapply and I was still on unemployment after that job had finished, same rate each week as previous, then the freaking amount of money for EBT DROPPED to $31 a month.

Now going on to on going events currently after sending in a reassessment on if anything changes like income or address, filled that out and sent a copy of statement saying unemployment ran out in December at the end, that was sent on the 5th of this month, December I probably collected less than $500 on UI for that month, I check my EBT balance earlier today and low and behold........its $31

It seems I cannot get many answers out of anyone at the office either, which leads me tempting to just move out of Lamar County.

Reason I am considering it is, I know people getting foodstamps that is quite a ridiculous amount for what income they get. I know one guy getting about $650 of SSI a month and he still gets over $150 a month in foodstamps, he doesnt live in this county, so whatever the problem is, its a county issue somewhere.

suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM

190 posts, read 633,960 times
Quote:
like many unemployed in this state and country, I rely on this at the moment.
Quote:
I was working in 2010 on a temp job for 6 months at 9.00/hr and the EBT was giving me $133.00
It sounds like this is more of a permanent thing than temporary. Have you tried to take advantage of any training programs that are available to improve your job skills?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM

18,784 posts, read 11,108,676 times
You must acquire a trade. Somehow, you must. If you cannot look in the classifieds and point to your area of expertise, you are screwed. If you cannot call yourself a plumber, an electrician, an accountant, a truck driver or something! then your life will never change. Somehow, some way, that is what you must do.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,280,653 times
As far as your situation goes, are you married or single? Rent or own? Have any close relatives that may let you stay with them for a while for free or reduced rent?

You have to do something to reduce expenses, and maybe spend that money on a trade or skill. I know it's not an ideal arrangement, but I think it's what you need to do.

Relying on state or government assistance will hold you back in the long run.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM

18,784 posts, read 11,108,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
...........Relying on state or government assistance will hold you back in the long run.
He said it!
Once you get used to these government programs you will almost never wean yourself off them. You will gradually learn how to sabotage your life so that you will never earn so much money that you disqualify yourself.

I have seen it first hand. You will begin to trade information with like-minded people. Then you will learn about Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability, or as they call it on the street, "crazy money", which you can get easily enough if you know how, and you will never make it back to the world of the proudly working.

Unless you provide for yourself you are doomed to become a permanent ward of the state. You will then begin (if you haven't already) to listen to politicians who tell you that they will get you more money. They will be Democrats, and they will tell you that the reason you don't have any money is because The Republicans have it all. You will be instructed to hate all rich Republicans and vote only for Democrats.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM

I never been able to find out any information on them or how to get involved with these programs.

What I have been calling myself is a PC Technician, I been working on PCs since the mid 1990s, but never been able to find jobs in this field. Its a field that is shrinking.

as for the republican and democrat, I dont like neither party, as Jesse Ventura calls it, its a 2 party dictatorship.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM

48 posts, read 160,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
He said it!
Once you get used to these government programs you will almost never wean yourself off them. You will gradually learn how to sabotage your life so that you will never earn so much money that you disqualify yourself.

I have seen it first hand. You will begin to trade information with like-minded people. Then you will learn about Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability, or as they call it on the street, "crazy money", which you can get easily enough if you know how, and you will never make it back to the world of the proudly working.

Unless you provide for yourself you are doomed to become a permanent ward of the state. You will then begin (if you haven't already) to listen to politicians who tell you that they will get you more money. They will be Democrats, and they will tell you that the reason you don't have any money is because The Republicans have it all. You will be instructed to hate all rich Republicans and vote only for Democrats.
Yes, this is what is wrong with this country. It becomes a way of life and is passed down to future generations. I'm afraid the damage is done in this country though- unless action is taken quickly to reduce the amount of welfare.

Growing up, we were broke a lot of times wen my dad was between jobs. We survived on beans and cornbread. We didn't ask for food stamps. Seeing them try to work harder only me work harder. Same goes for my husband. We took out loans to get our educations to make sure we didn't have the same problems as our parents. If our parents are resorted to welfare, who knows were we'd be right now

Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcamcin View Post
Yes, this is what is wrong with this country. It becomes a way of life and is passed down to future generations. I'm afraid the damage is done in this country though- unless action is taken quickly to reduce the amount of welfare.
I dont like it either.

But its becoming a part of nature for humans to survive in this country as long as they keep sending jobs to China and India. Education is doing little good now a days, every business that is hiring will get up to 200 or more job applications for 1 job, that is a serious problem IMO.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 PM

200 posts, read 531,421 times
If you are willing to move...why not move to a spot with more employment options?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,280,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot474 View Post
What I have been calling myself is a PC Technician, I been working on PCs since the mid 1990s, but never been able to find jobs in this field. Its a field that is shrinking.
I am in the IT field, and have been for 14 years. You are correct, the IT field is tough right now. IT has become saturated with people who are all looking for jobs, but i will give you a couple pointers.

You need to make yourself stand out from all the other candidates. Find out what skills are currently in demand and learn them. IT is a field that you must constantly work on and improve your skillset. A+ and MCP certs should be good starting points, go from there. A+ and MCP study materials can be found for less than $100. Each test is around $100. Look into MCSE certification, you will spend several hundred dollars on study material but it doesn't require you to buy it all at once.

Rewrite your resume. Don't just list the jobs you have had, but list the skills and responsibilities on each job. If you received a promotion on the job and a new responsibility was added, list the date it was added. This will suggest to employers that you were doing a good job and they felt you could handle additional responsibility.

List operating systems/software packages/hardware you have experience with. IT employers are interested in your range of experience.

When I first started IT, I worked at a couple of locally owned small town computer shops. This would be a good way to learn on the job and make decent money. Even if it isn't as much money as you would like right now, just being employed and knowing you are learning can make you feel much better about things in general.

Good luck.

Last edited by jhadorn; 01-18-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi