U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-14-2008, 06:39 PM
 
Location: northeast US
739 posts, read 1,979,860 times
Reputation: 446

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
If you don't think some southerners have a hard time up north, or some northerners look down on southerners, then you are sadly mistaken. Besides, the current migration is from north to south and west.
On that I will agree with you. Personally, some of the best years of my life, and the best friends I'll ever have, were in Texas. But, it's also true that a lot of Texans gave me a hard time about my yankee accent, or were some of the most outwardly racist people I ever met.

During the time I lived in Hays County, David Duke of the KKK was running for President, that was about 13-14 years ago, and we found it frightening that there were Duke signs all over our town, or some of the things people had the nerve to say to us.

People in the north have had a very big advantage over southerners. Since television began in the 1950's we've been watching all the overt racism in the south, looking down our noses and saying how much better we are than you in the south.

The truth is, as horrible as those times were - with the killings of Medgar Evers, Schwerner, Chaney, Goodman, and George Wallace, Bull Connor's dogs and fire hoses and all of that - the north has never addressed it's own racism but the south has come a long way.

The north is very invested in keeping an old image of the south, and that's because our northern schools are segregated, and it's still a big deal when a black person moves into a white neighborhood, in Franklin County, Massachusetts, in 2008.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM
 
Location: The South
767 posts, read 2,094,983 times
Reputation: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
People in the north have had a very big advantage over southerners. Since television began in the 1950's we've been watching all the overt racism in the south, looking down our noses and saying how much better we are than you in the south.

The truth is, as horrible as those times were - with the killings of Medgar Evers, Schwerner, Chaney, Goodman, and George Wallace, Bull Connor's dogs and fire hoses and all of that - the north has never addressed it's own racism but the south has come a long way.

The north is very invested in keeping an old image of the south, and that's because our northern schools are segregated, and it's still a big deal when a black person moves into a white neighborhood, in Franklin County, Massachusetts, in 2008.
I do believe you have hit the nail on the head.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Floribama
17,454 posts, read 35,351,141 times
Reputation: 16723
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
On that I will agree with you. Personally, some of the best years of my life, and the best friends I'll ever have, were in Texas. But, it's also true that a lot of Texans gave me a hard time about my yankee accent, or were some of the most outwardly racist people I ever met.

During the time I lived in Hays County, David Duke of the KKK was running for President, that was about 13-14 years ago, and we found it frightening that there were Duke signs all over our town, or some of the things people had the nerve to say to us.

People in the north have had a very big advantage over southerners. Since television began in the 1950's we've been watching all the overt racism in the south, looking down our noses and saying how much better we are than you in the south.

The truth is, as horrible as those times were - with the killings of Medgar Evers, Schwerner, Chaney, Goodman, and George Wallace, Bull Connor's dogs and fire hoses and all of that - the north has never addressed it's own racism but the south has come a long way.

The north is very invested in keeping an old image of the south, and that's because our northern schools are segregated, and it's still a big deal when a black person moves into a white neighborhood, in Franklin County, Massachusetts, in 2008.
Yep, and many of those northerners who complain so much about the south not being integrated enough live in 95% white neighborhoods themselves. Talk about hypocrisy.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 AM
 
151 posts, read 666,422 times
Reputation: 94
This is 2008. I moved here in 1991. I've lived in this state and in America long enough to distinguish the difference between literal and inferred meanings in spoken language. When my LANDLORD said "you, in the south, now..." he meant -some people, he has learned, live with bugs, and others do not... He did not. He lived in a splendid mansion without cockroaches, however his tenants were to live with them. Humid conditions indicate that pest control is a natural conclusion for everyone (who can afford it). But what I was suppose to infer was... don't complain about my not attending to this city ordinace of ridding rental properties from pest and vermin, as this is costly and I can actually try to get away with treating you with fairness and dignity. Sometimes, oftentimes, this process is lengthy in Mississippi or not all.

Avoid defensiveness. Don't defend what is obviously a wrong. I don't care if you are 10 or 80, you know difference between right and wrong. Mississippi is wonderfully, beautiful place, but we, and I include myself lag behind not others but the beauty...some of us had ancestors that died here hoping and praying for change to come. The flag we hang laughs in the face of all of those people and current residents. How do we fly a symbol of hate (esp. to those who were victimized) and claim WWJD? If you want to know why other states think MS backwards, look to the visual reminders that daily conditons the victimized citizens of Mississippi to remember the "old south."

But yes, there is a movie if you haven't seen it called The Girl In The Cafe, it speaks to a generation having it fall to them to do a great thing. If Mississippi continues to live this old psychology then it will not be the victims who fall, it will be the victimizers who fall with them. Mississippi needs to be recognized for its true beauty, not denial or defenses. Be truthful. Why are there so many poor people in Ms? What fuels that poverty? Why are there so many churches but not enough self sustaining families? What prevents that? Why are there over 880 churches in the moderate sized city of Jackson, but people in this city are walking around homeless with church doors closed except on Sunday? This is not Chicago...why do we need 880 churches...do religious folks disagree about how to feed the poor, welcome guest,or seek profit? This is MS. But next time I'll try to speak only positive MS here. I promise.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 AM
 
Location: northeast US
739 posts, read 1,979,860 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
The only time I hear about negative things about northerners is when a bad encounter has occured, as in making fun of the accent or some comment about inbreeding or the lack of shoe wear.
One of the first real southerners I met in Texas was a barefoot redneck if I ever saw one. I say that because he was a wild looking good ole boy that lived in a broken down trailer with a yard full of old washing machines, rusted out cars, and junk of every kind. Every time I ever saw him he was barefoot. Even in winter when the nights went down to freezing I never saw him with shoes on.

I did some business with him and I was a little concerned when he showed up at the door one time with a few of his buddies. Turned out to be one of the nicest fellows I ever met.

This was a very small town. I heard later on that he told several other people in town what nice people and a nice family we are. I also heard later on, he had a Ph.D. in English Literature from the University of Texas and that was just the lifestyle he wanted. You can''t always judge a book by the cover, even with people that are a walking stereotype.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
314 posts, read 1,018,722 times
Reputation: 431
...Avoid defensiveness. Don't defend what is obviously a wrong. I don't care if you are 10 or 80, you know difference between right and wrong. ...

... If Mississippi continues to live this old psychology then it will not be the victims who fall, it will be the victimizers who fall with them. ...


...And this is exactly why we cringe when we see the out-of-state tags, or hear the accents.

What curriculum up North provides northerners the training and wisdom to show us ignorant rednecks the path to salvation from our misguided ways? This post exhibits the same assumption of moral superiority that I posted on previously.

Having a problem with a bug infestation is not grounds to indict a majority of people in a state for being backward hate-mongers waving banners of racism.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 AM
 
151 posts, read 666,422 times
Reputation: 94
I had a bug infestation problem that should not existed in the first place and the response by then landlord is a typical response from landlords in 2008. I know this because I witnessed it the other day. Oldenfatt, if you believe I'm referring to Mississippians as rednecks, and backwards because of that then you are mistaken. I'm strictly stating what is true, racism and classism are the 2 real destructive forces in Mississippi and it cannot be defended. Housing issues are the greatest indicators of this problem. Decent, quality housing is a major problem in Mississippi. I think I can indict the policymakers, and elected officials for not enforcing quality of life ordinances that allow these things to continue. Uhmm, surely you're not attempting to persuade others in the rest of the country that racism doesn't exist in Mississippi? Do you know what racism is? Maybe thats the problem.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,142 posts, read 26,075,265 times
Reputation: 11284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Is there still racism and ignorance in Mississippi? Yes. Is Mississippi eternally trapped in 1963 as the movies and television portray? No. You are in for a big, big shock no matter where you go if you think there's no racism outside the Deep South. Some of the most racist stuff I've ever heard, I heard from Californians when I lived in L.A. If you go overseas, you'll still hear it -- it just won't be at the targets you're expecting. When I lived in Istanbul, people told me that Kurds are dirty, thieving, and have too many children and live off the state. Just because they weren't talking about blacks doesn't mean it's not racism. Check out what people STILL say about Gypsies and Jews in progressive Europe, and come talk to me about how "enlightened" Europeans are. We are still humans, we are still prey to the same failures and weaknesses as always.

MS just has an especially bad reputation -- partly because of the media, partly because memories last a long time. I know people who will drive around MS rather than through it, because they remember what their granny told them about growing up in MS in the 1940s. It's not Mississippi Burning and Ghosts of Mississippi all the time here, folks. That was thirty some odd years ago!

willdufauve, I truly do hope you'll be happy in MS. A neighbor of ours is a black woman, who says much the same as you do, that up North she lived in constant paranoia about racism. "Did I not get the apartment because I'm black, or did I not get the apartment just because I didn't get the apartment?" That kind of thing. She says that her family think she's crazy for moving to MS, but she likes it here.
Kudos to you!! Your posts are always enlightening as well as gentle...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 02:57 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,727 times
Reputation: 11
Default Toyota in Tupelo

I'm reading a lot of "don't come in and tell us how you do it up north."

How will southerners deal with Toyota in Tupelo? Toyota will not be changing ways to fit in with the south. Things are done a very standardized and established way. How will y'all deal with it?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 03:11 PM
 
376 posts, read 1,663,898 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Lab Buck View Post
I'm reading a lot of "don't come in and tell us how you do it up north."

How will southerners deal with Toyota in Tupelo? Toyota will not be changing ways to fit in with the south. Things are done a very standardized and established way. How will y'all deal with it?
I think Toyota is building in Mississippi because they think their ways would fit pretty well in Mississippi.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top