U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 05:06 PM

17,467 posts, read 35,359,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Lab Buck View Post
I'm reading a lot of "don't come in and tell us how you do it up north."

How will southerners deal with Toyota in Tupelo? Toyota will not be changing ways to fit in with the south. Things are done a very standardized and established way. How will y'all deal with it?
Apparently Mercedes, Honda, Hyundai, and Saturn aren't having any problems in the south. Actually, the plants down here are running smoother than the "big3" plants up north.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 PM

739 posts, read 1,980,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
I think Toyota is building in Mississippi because they think their ways would fit pretty well in Mississippi.
A good bit of the reason Toyota is coming to MS is low land costs, low taxes, and it's a weak state for environmental concerns and workers' rights.

Unfortunately, if you read a lot of these threads, Toyota seems to be bringing current employees from other parts of the country instead of investing in training MS's people. I don't think that's right (but hey, I'm a northerner and I don't want to seem like I'm coming into MS with out of state tags telling anyone what to do).

Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 PM

61,306 posts, read 79,536,424 times
my ice breaker was
hi! is this where they are having the gay pride meeting?
but my local uncle quickly pursuaded me to adjust my
sense of humor and then i was just fine.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:06 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,529,851 times
I came across this post and I sympathize with Mississippians. I'm from New Jersey and my state is stereotyped as being a barren state full of oil refineries, factories, and tacky people with 80's style hair who pronounce our state as "New Joisey". This stereotype couldn't be farther from the truth. Although there is a stretch of refineries in a small part of the state by the NJ turnpike, our state is mostly surburban and rural (and beautiful). It's also the wealthiest state in the US (The average household income was $61,672 in 2005) with a very educated population. We have to defend New Jersey, Mississippi, and other states with bad reps from these idiotic stereotypes.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
. I'm from New Jersey
What exit?

Old joke, I know...the Jersey Shore is pretty nice.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 AM

151 posts, read 666,464 times
The interesting part about that kind of language "don't come in here, tellin us how to do things.." is that it tends to be repeated again and again until people forget it's origins. Here we are in 2008 and that language originated in the era of the Civil Right's days, when "yankee agitators' came in disrupting the "way we do things round here' motto. I did see Mississippi Burning...again, and now I know where that language began. That is the real reason Northerners are often not welcomed by SOME native Mississippians.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM

376 posts, read 1,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darhe3425 View Post
The interesting part about that kind of language "don't come in here, tellin us how to do things.." is that it tends to be repeated again and again until people forget it's origins. Here we are in 2008 and that language originated in the era of the Civil Right's days, when "yankee agitators' came in disrupting the "way we do things round here' motto. I did see Mississippi Burning...again, and now I know where that language began. That is the real reason Northerners are often not welcomed by SOME native Mississippians.
Southerners didn't want yankees coming down and telling them how to do things long before the War of Northern Aggression.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Southerners didn't want yankees coming down and telling them how to do things long before the War of Northern Aggression.
Was that anywhere around the time of the war to end Slavery?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 PM

314 posts, read 1,018,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
The purpose of the war wasn't to end slavery. Go check your history. You're throwing around 150 year-old propaganda.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM

376 posts, read 1,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that." --Abraham Lincoln, just prior to the Emancipation Proclamation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi