U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM

208 posts, read 562,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darhe3425 View Post
The interesting part about that kind of language "don't come in here, tellin us how to do things.." is that it tends to be repeated again and again until people forget it's origins. Here we are in 2008 and that language originated in the era of the Civil Right's days, when "yankee agitators' came in disrupting the "way we do things round here' motto. I did see Mississippi Burning...again, and now I know where that language began. That is the real reason Northerners are often not welcomed by SOME native Mississippians.
Well we all know the North was such a paradise during the Civil Rights era too. Too bad the South couldn't have the racial harmony Detroit, New York, Boston, etc. had during that time period.

While I agree it was wrong that the "yankee agitators" were not welcomed, it seemed like many of their hometowns needed help too.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM

151 posts, read 666,038 times
tenreb, okay where did the "you can't tell us how to come in here and tell us what to do..." came from?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 PM

739 posts, read 1,978,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
The purpose of the war wasn't to end slavery. Go check your history. You're throwing around 150 year-old propaganda.
And you guys are living a war the south lost 150 years ago. Meanwhile, the biggest thing to happen to MS in a while is a company from Japan wants you as cheap labor to build cars for them, and your schools and economy are #50 at the bottom of the country.

What about - get over it.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 AM

Yep, Wild that sure is what Ol Abe said, and so we know from history that it was never the intention of the Civil War to free the enslaved people from their owners, it was mere byproduct. The Civil War and its intricacies were never taught to us growing up, as far as I can remember we only learned that quote, and many still believe the purpose of the War was to end slavery in America, but we all know no such "religion" existed, then or now. There were Abolitionists who fought for the ending of slavery. When the truth is gone uncovered it's so hard for some folks to get over the lose of the Civil War.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Wait a minute, what War of Aggression? The Civil War? "telling us how to do things..." get on the same page, we are AMERICANS, all of us don't mistake this. When anyone came to Mississippi, for whatever reason, they needed to come, for those who were not being recognized as citizens of Mississippi. What Mississippi needs si to get into the habit of is calling other states on issues that matter like, pro-choice, education, and racism. Not tit for tat, but really knowing that Mississippi is a state that wan't this change to come, and is willing/and able to see what that looks like. We can't do that if to deny our own yard is recognizably junky. I'm not trying to make anyone upset but when you look at mess you can't say it's a bouquet of flowers.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM

my post was sloppy, just got excited, and doing 2 things at once, if clarification is needed...i'll do again.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 PM

469 posts, read 2,611,442 times
Whoa, whoa, whoa! This is disgraceful! Where are all these Mississippi-haters coming from? Ladies and gentlemen, Delta Airlines is ready when you are. No one is forcing you to live in this state if you don't want to, and I'm sure no one begged you to move here in the first place.

Secondly, the tone y'all speak with is disrespectful! I know people who wouldn't talk to their DOGS the way y'all are talking to us! We are not naughty children that need to be lectured, and y'all sure ain't our parents to tell us how it's done. We are human beings and fellow Americans who get up every day and do our best, just like most people. As for that Toyota comment -- mocking us because we're too poor and weak to defend ourselves from exploitation! Does that make you feel good about yourself? To know that we're so desperate for jobs for our people that we allow ourselves and our state to be abused? Wow, that is LOW.

Last edited by Mississippienne; 02-24-2008 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-24-2008, 02:40 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,910,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa! This is disgraceful! Where are all these Mississippi-haters coming from? Ladies and gentlemen, Delta Airlines is ready when you are. No one is forcing you to live in this state if you don't want to, and I'm sure no one begged you to move here in the first place.

Secondly, the tone y'all speak with is disrespectful! I know people who wouldn't talk to their DOGS the way y'all are talking to us! We are not naughty children that need to be lectured, and y'all sure ain't our parents to tell us how it's done. We are human beings and fellow Americans who get up every day and do our best, just like most people. As for that Toyota comment -- mocking us because we're too poor and weak to defend ourselves from exploitation! Does that make you feel good about yourself? To know that we're so desperate for jobs for our people that we allow ourselves and our state to be abused? Wow, that is LOW.
There is an old Southern saying, Mississipiene, that I am sure you are familiar with. It goes: Don't wrassle with a pig. You both get dirty...but the pig likes it.

Once again, I violated my own promise to not interfere too much in Mississippi affairs. But again as well, my people migrated from there to Texas and I feel an obligation to take a stand.

So to start off. Willduvauve?

Read this, will you?

Slavery in the North

Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM

767 posts, read 2,093,337 times
TexasReb
I visited Newport RI back in the spring. Beautiful place, lots and lots of money there. They had a small museum there and in one corner it had a small writeup ,probably a paragraph that stated Newport was a port to bring slaves in.
This is from your reference. "Newport, the colony's leading slave port, took an estimated 59,070 slaves to America before the Revolution". It didn't look like they were very proud of it. EVERY museum you visit in Mississippi acknowledges what we did.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,011,678 times
MODERATOR: Get it back under control, people...this thread isn't about the Civil War or slavery. We have a History forum for that.

Lest anyone forget, the title of this thread is about whether a Northener will be welcomed. In 2008, not 150 years ago. Move past it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi