U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 AM

314 posts, read 1,017,427 times

Advertisements

Apparently for some people, it is still about slavery and the civil war, as well as civil rights, racism, bigotry, overweight,ad nauseum. The same northerners who feel entitled to beat Mississippi natives over the head with their preconceived notions of real and imagined failings in our state feel threatened when we don't roll over screaming "mea culpa" and begging forgiveness. We don't have to apologize or explain to modern day carpetbaggers, including the internet versions.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-26-2008, 02:12 AM

739 posts, read 1,976,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Apparently for some people, it is still about slavery and the civil war, as well as civil rights, racism, bigotry, overweight,ad nauseum. The same northerners who feel entitled to beat Mississippi natives over the head with their preconceived notions of real and imagined failings in our state feel threatened when we don't roll over screaming "mea culpa" and begging forgiveness. We don't have to apologize or explain to modern day carpetbaggers, including the internet versions.
In other words, you're saying YES (Mississippi is particularly welcoming to northerners).

Old 02-26-2008, 09:45 AM

151 posts, read 665,730 times
Back on track...No, some Mississippians are not particularly welcoming to Northerners...again I don't think they know specifically why they have the appearance of being NICE, HOSPITABLE however unwelcoming nonetheless. I think it may be because some Missippians may be afraid of even further change (progress?). The more others come the more change occurs, and that upsets some Mississippians. Change is inevitable, and we are talking about Mississippi. It may also depend on who you talk to. I've lived here long enough to consider myself at home...as I said before my people are all from Mississippi. As I learn more and more about the history of Mississippi, despite it's unforgiving ways, I must say I'm proud to live here. As for the failings of Mississippi, it does have quite a few. Native Mississippian or transplant Mississippian can plainly see that, but we've got quite few success stores. Oh, and I welcome Northerners.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:45 PM

739 posts, read 1,976,584 times
What I never could understand about southerners is that so many of them are really defensive and ticked off at yankees.

When I lived in Texas, and traveled around Texas, it always amazed me how much of that defensive, one-down attitude would leak to the surface in conversations.

Personally, I never think about the south, southerners, and stereotypes of southerners. I never think about, read about, or talk about the Civil War. I really don't care. It's just not on my agenda. I've got way more important things to deal with.

On the other hand, there's a lot of things I like about the south, mostly the music. I've been a big blues fan and musician for 40 years. My spouse is reading Eudora Welty for the first time this winter and loves her writing.

What I learned in Texas is, it's a big issue for them. When a Texan would start in with "d**n yankees this" and "d**n yankees that" I'd give it right back to them if an arguement is what they're asking for. The Civil War was over a long time ago - the south lost, we know the north has poverty and racial problems too - I'll be the first to say that.

Get over it and let's all move on.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM

469 posts, read 2,610,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
What I never could understand about southerners is that so many of them are really defensive and ticked off at yankees.
I snipped five or six paragraphs about Texas. MS is not TX and never has been. We have a different regional culture and history.

See, the thing is, no one I know talks about the Civil War, etc. EXCEPT when some Yankee storms in, throwing it in our face. I only know one person, a distant cousin, who does Civil War reenactments, and I haven't seen him in years. From where I'm standing, we're NOT trapped in the past. We don't all sit around on our porches drinking mint juleps and wishing for "the good ol' days" when we had slaves and plantations. For that matter, only a precious few whites ever lived in the "big house" with the hundreds of slaves picking cotton. Most of my ancestors farmed and owned a handful of slaves, if any. Stop learning about the pre-Antebellum South from "Gone With the Wind".

It's incredibly rude when people come on this forum and say things like, "How come you are so POOR? Why don't you do things like WE DO WHERE I COME FROM?" And then they're shocked when we fight back and tell them where to get off! As though it's their RIGHT to talk to us like dogs!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 PM

376 posts, read 1,662,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post

When I lived in Texas, and traveled around Texas, it always amazed me how much of that defensive, one-down attitude would leak to the surface in conversations.

Personally, I never think about the south, southerners, and stereotypes of southerners. I never think about, read about, or talk about the Civil War. I really don't care. It's just not on my agenda. I've got way more important things to deal with.

On the other hand, there's a lot of things I like about the south, mostly the music. I've been a big blues fan and musician for 40 years. My spouse is reading Eudora Welty for the first time this winter and loves her writing.

What I learned in Texas is, it's a big issue for them. When a Texan would start in with "d**n yankees this" and "d**n yankees that" I'd give it right back to them if an arguement is what they're asking for. The Civil War was over a long time ago - the south lost, we know the north has poverty and racial problems too - I'll be the first to say that.

Get over it and let's all move on.
Many of us have stories passed down to us about how our relatives were killed in the war, had their homes burned or lost to carpetbaggers, were forced into poverty, etc. Some pretty bad stuff happened, and it isn't so easy to forget. Add that to the constant condescension that we have to put up with, and the attitude towards yankees isn't going to be too positive. It's kind of like the relationship between England and France. A lot of bad stuff happened a while back that is now in the past, but there are still enough differences to keep bringing up those old feelings. If you are Northerner that comes here and has a condescending attitude and act disrespectfully towards are culture, we're going to associate you with the bad things that happened to our ancestors a while back. If you don't act like that, then you aren't going to have that problem.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 PM

151 posts, read 665,730 times
I'm like Wild..., really I never considered my not being welcomed in Southern USA. I didn't think in terms of North and South. I thought in terms of gender and race. I thought in terms of origin to family, or neighborhood, maybe even to birth city. I didn't claim the whole North, as some may do here. I don't care to be described as a Yankee, either but have at it? Is that any more condescending than being thought of as backwards? I believe it disrespectful to make judgements about others strictly based on what region of the country they come from. I've not heard anyone make as many a rude comment as I've heard on here..."carbetbaggers" talk about not making progress. Why are so many Mississippians poor? I hope that question got an honest answer. It is certainly not because there is not wealth in this state. Is it because Mississippians are lazy? No. There are hard working people here? Could it be The haves not knowing how to share with the have nots. How many churches do we have in Mississippi? Should anyone go hungry with this many churches...? God, but they do. And Mississippi is still talking about the WAR...for what? Why cannot Mississippi be criticized... by anyone, especially if some Mississippians are too busy defending what obviously needs criticizing. Oh, maybe I did not say that so NICE. It is true, some mississippians are just speaking word for word stuff they heard growing up, or still so regretful bout those by gone days before "Freedom Come." Those "damn yankees, they did it! and we hate em for it. But I wasn't in the Civil War, nor unfortunately in Issaquena, or Sharkey counties during Freedom Summer.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 PM

61,253 posts, read 79,353,276 times
the south is warm and friendly as a whole to visitors.
some restrictions apply.
out of respect for your visitor status, they will not accept bad behavior.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:27 AM

9 posts, read 21,148 times
I agree with Sam I Am, this is 2008 and yes Mississippi is a beautiful and friendly place to visit and live. I lived in Northeast Ms all my life. I am a black woman, with the exception of a rare -sshole or two I have not experience any kind of racial or social harassment. We are one of the few Christian oriented states maybe because of our history. All of the states as well as people have ugly past, but out of great adversity comes the greatest victories and for that I am proud. So sit down and make a list of all the great and successful people both black and white who had their roots in Mississippi, because of their experience both good and bad it made them what they are today. I think you'll have a long list.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 17,001,241 times
I'm really failing to see the point to this whole thread. Why would anyone even ask a question like this? How about "is Mississippi particularly welcoming to Alaskans? Canadians? Costa Ricans?"

This is actually a topic that has been beat to death and gone off the deep end.

MS is no different than any other state in many other ways...it is very welcoming to those who come in with an open mind and with the intent to make this their home and work to make it a better place. The criticism MS has borne is not from the residents, but from folks outside the state borders or people just passing through.

I don't see this as any different than someone from the south going to Maine and saying "this sure is a bunch of stuck up, unfriendly people"...do you think the folks from Maine are going to get stirred up? Of course they are - and they probably will say "danged Southerners coming in here with their ideas...this is the way we do it. They need to take their rebel flag and go home". Same with Texans..."take your longhorns back to Texas and go fight the Alamo again". It's called compartmentalizing and lumping one person into a preconceived notion regarding where they came from. And it is ridiculous. No one is trying to fight the Civil War that I'm aware of in the north OR the south. It is what it is, history is history, for pete's sake MOVE ON. Why all of the generalizations?

People generally pick a spot to live that fits them - their lifestyle, what they know, what they are comfortable with. If you don't like it, God has made it possible for us to have interstates that not only lead into an area, but interestingly enough, also lead out. Bunky is correct...you will not be judged by where you are from, but who you are.

This is a relocation forum - for people to ask questions and receive feedback on a potential move. If you have a problem with the way history played out, take it to the History forum. If your beef is with the customs of a certain area, then just wake up and realize that every area has what is considered "normal" for that area. I daresay the majority of Mississippians realize they have poverty in their state....as do the majority of West Virginians or Arkansans or New Yorkers. It probably doesn't need to be pointed out. But to paint the whole state as backward, ignorant, and stuck in time is unfair and not even true.

Mississippi is a beautiful state. California it ain't...don't try to make it that way, ain't gonna happen. Accept it for what it is and embrace it if you are relocating there, and leave behind your notions of "they won't accept me because I'm from the north or from Pluto". Just behave with courtesy and deference to a state that has deep roots and people who are passionate about their homeland and it will all work out.

Goodness. A tempest in a teapot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi