U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 AM
 
43 posts, read 243,237 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

How are jobs in southern MS? We really want to move close to Gulfport, but need to make sure we will have a good paying job. I work in as an admin. assistant, right now doing property management, and my husband is a very skilled trim carpenter. Any good jobs for these two fields there? Anyone that may be hiring???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 9,134,999 times
Reputation: 1105
I just left Gulfport Mississippi. There are tons of jobs. I was working as a Security Officer at 11 dollars an hour, my wife was working at the great Sothern Club making 140 bucks a day for 6 hours of work.

There is Construction all over the place I am sure your Husband will find work quick. As for you dont know.. but I am sure you will find something.

Because I know your gonna ask, or maybe concerned why I left.. I left only because my family back home needed my assistance. The people in South Mississippi are great.. and there are plenty of good paying jobs there.

Something to consider.. rents are high.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
 
43 posts, read 243,237 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I just left Gulfport Mississippi. There are tons of jobs. I was working as a Security Officer at 11 dollars an hour, my wife was working at the great Sothern Club making 140 bucks a day for 6 hours of work.

There is Construction all over the place I am sure your Husband will find work quick. As for you dont know.. but I am sure you will find something.

Because I know your gonna ask, or maybe concerned why I left.. I left only because my family back home needed my assistance. The people in South Mississippi are great.. and there are plenty of good paying jobs there.

Something to consider.. rents are high.

Thanks so much, where I live now you cannot find a house for less than $800 a month, and I have seen lower cost than that in and around Gulfport, so that is not to disappointing! I am hoping to find a house for around $700, has to be a house! We love having our own yard and such, so if anyone knows any for rent please let me know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 17,541,027 times
Reputation: 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie88 View Post
Thanks so much, where I live now you cannot find a house for less than $800 a month, and I have seen lower cost than that in and around Gulfport, so that is not to disappointing! I am hoping to find a house for around $700, has to be a house! We love having our own yard and such, so if anyone knows any for rent please let me know!
Faerie88, please try posting in the classifieds forum at the bottom of the main screen - maybe someone will pick up on your post!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 04:28 PM
 
268 posts, read 972,763 times
Reputation: 123
Rents have come way down since the storm. Jobs are still plentiful too. There are several new apartment complexes opening soon--may be a job lead for you.
One thing to consider is that other costs of living have gone up in the past 2 years. Our dollar doesn't stretch nearly as far as it used to.
I do love it on the coast though, but if you are concerned about your financial situation, it is something to consider.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 05:18 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 9,134,999 times
Reputation: 1105
Rents way down.. Are you kidding me? I have lived there the last 6 months and seen rents range from 800 if your lucky to find it, to a normal 1200-1600 a month for a 3 bedroom 1 bath in the Gulfport/Biloxi area. But I will agree the cost of living there is rather high.

As I have said before.. there are plenty of job offerings to be had.. lots of them that pay well enough to get you by. All the people in my neighborhood were working 2 to 3 jobs to survive... good luck, its a great place to live though and well worth the effort.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2007, 08:39 AM
 
43 posts, read 243,237 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Faerie88, please try posting in the classifieds forum at the bottom of the main screen - maybe someone will pick up on your post!
Thanks Sam, have not even thought about that, maybe that will bring me luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2007, 09:29 AM
 
268 posts, read 972,763 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Rents way down.. Are you kidding me? I have lived there the last 6 months and seen rents range from 800 if your lucky to find it, to a normal 1200-1600 a month for a 3 bedroom 1 bath in the Gulfport/Biloxi area. But I will agree the cost of living there is rather high.

.
Relative to immediately after the storm, yes, rent is way down. Two years ago, things were way different.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2007, 04:03 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 9,134,999 times
Reputation: 1105
True right after the storm I am sure stuff was way more expensive, due to the infrastructure being destroyed. the very limited number of housing and the lack of jobs in the area at that time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2007, 03:16 PM
 
60 posts, read 222,873 times
Reputation: 28
I live in NW Mississippi and jobs are few and far inbetween, unless you're willing to drive a good distance....with the price of gas and rumors it will go up again to $3.50 by Thanksgiving, I'm trying to find something close by. I check postings every day and there are tons in the medical field for all kinds of therapists and nurses. My last position with FedEx was as a manager admin, but I'm willing to even take a receptionist position if it has insurance and isn't too far a drive. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top