Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
just drop it. you're all over the place now. Went from depicting an accurate portrayal of Mississippi to comparing Mississippi to California.

and FYI, California has quite a few revenue streamss over Mississippi:

3 Major Football teams
4 major Baseball teams
Ski resorts
Surfing industry
Movie industry
Tech industry
Fashion industry

We can stop there. I mean there really is no comparison. let's stay on topic though.

I think a good dialogue about why that video got out like that, needs to be had. Because it couldv'e been avoided and presented better.
He he, ok. You deviated from the topic by bringing the condition of streets and city council meetings in Jackson into the discussion as an attempt to justify your belief that the video by Pelosi represents the people of Mississippi.

Meanwhile, someone points out that Mississippi isn't that bad off comparatively to California and some other states, and YOU comment on it as if you know about the financial condition of the state, but when I present actual facts that can be verified regarding why California is in the shape it is you tell me to drop it.

California does have all those things, but California has 12 times the population of Mississippi. That does not change the fact that California relies too heavily on capital gains and a small percentage of it's taxpayers for revenue. California also has a spending problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
.....California has quite a few revenue streamss over Mississippi:

3 Major Football teams
4 major Baseball teams
Ski resorts
Surfing industry
Movie industry
Tech industry
Fashion industry

All true. The mystery is how they managed to spend it all. And they did. Next year's, too. Then, evidently having nothing to do, they went searching for someone to feel superior to.

The point is that people in glass houses.....well, you know.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I had to read this entire thread, only because I couldn't believe that someone thinks Bill Maher's show is a "news program". I'm tempted to ask if this kind of mentality is typical of Mississippians, but I know better.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I had to read this entire thread, only because I couldn't believe that someone thinks Bill Maher's show is a "news program". I'm tempted to ask if this kind of mentality is typical of Mississippians, but I know better.
Ya, we know Bill Maher's program is political satire. I alluded to that fact in a previous post but it was deleted. I will make that point again. If Pelosi were a serious journalist her peice wouldn't be aired on Bill Maher's political satire program.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM

169 posts, read 237,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
He he, ok. You deviated from the topic by bringing the condition of streets and city council meetings in Jackson into the discussion as an attempt to justify your belief that the video by Pelosi represents the people of Mississippi.

Meanwhile, someone points out that Mississippi isn't that bad off comparatively to California and some other states, and YOU comment on it as if you know about the financial condition of the state, but when I present actual facts that can be verified regarding why California is in the shape it is you tell me to drop it.

California does have all those things, but California has 12 times the population of Mississippi. That does not change the fact that California relies too heavily on capital gains and a small percentage of it's taxpayers for revenue. California also has a spending problem.
Talking about the streets in Mississippi is within the framework of the topic. The streets being worn out is an accurate portrayal of Mississippi. I was making a sensible connection to the portrayal of the people as well. It's all still Mississippi

Trying to compare California's economy to Mississippi's is waaaaay off topic and should be started in another thread.

You went from demonizing the video about Mississippi to making a case for Mississippi over California. total 180 degree shift.

If you're looking to compare states, pick a state that's in the same ballpark as Mississippi, like Arkansas or Alabama. not California. that's not even a fair comparison. I would never in a million years try to compare anything Californian to anything Mississippian. it's just not fair to Mississippi. It's like a Ferrari racing a 10-speed.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Bottom line, FreePress - I'll say it and probably get deleted, but you're being offensive as hell to everyone who cares one whit about Mississippi. If you don't, good for you - shine on.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Ya, we know Bill Maher's program is political satire. I alluded to that fact in a previous post but it was deleted. I will make that point again. If Pelosi were a serious journalist her peice wouldn't be aired on Bill Maher's political satire program.
But yet you blow a fuse in defense of Mississippi when you knew the program is couched a certain way?

That's why I say just extract the positives and keep it moving.

I'm sure Bill Mahar knows that Mississippi is not on the top 10 list of travel destinations so therefore the state is always gonna be the butt of jokes and satire. It comes with the territory. You can't expect people to tout Mississippi like it's the #1 place to visit in America when 99% of the nation knows better.

And the only way to change that negative perception of the state is to spend some damn money and do something about it so outsiders won't have it so easy to crack jokes on Mississippi.

Only thing I ever hear good about Mississippi anyway is the weather and to be honest that's really all we have going for us, save a museum here and there.

So don't get mad at Mahar and Pelosi. they are just doing their jobs and I for one am happy for it because I like Bill's show, he's funny and has on great guests.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
But yet you blow a fuse in defense of Mississippi when you knew the program is couched a certain way?

That's why I say just extract the positives and keep it moving.

I'm sure Bill Mahar knows that Mississippi is not on the top 10 list of travel destinations so therefore the state is always gonna be the butt of jokes and satire. It comes with the territory. You can't expect people to tout Mississippi like it's the #1 place to visit in America when 99% of the nation knows better.

And the only way to change that negative perception of the state is to spend some damn money and do something about it so outsiders won't have it so easy to crack jokes on Mississippi.

Only thing I ever hear good about Mississippi anyway is the weather and to be honest that's really all we have going for us, save a museum here and there.

So don't get mad at Mahar and Pelosi. they are just doing their jobs and I for one am happy for it because I like Bill's show, he's funny and has on great guests.
Your perception is that I blew a fuse, however, I don't blow fuses over message board banter... but if you would like to think so, go ahead.

You don't like Mississippi, and i'm good with that. You have mentioned extracting the positives from the Pelosi video in more than one of your posts in this thread. Try extracting the positives about Mississippi and maybe you would be happier.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
All true. The mystery is how they managed to spend it all. And they did. Next year's, too. Then, evidently having nothing to do, they went searching for someone to feel superior to.

The point is that people in glass houses.....well, you know.
You're not implying that California is bankrupt are you? far from it.

And who are they trying to feel superior to? they've always been on top.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Your perception is that I blew a fuse, however, I don't blow fuses over message board banter... but if you would like to think so, go ahead.

You don't like Mississippi, and i'm good with that. You have mentioned extracting the positives from the Pelosi video in more than one of your posts in this thread. Try extracting the positives about Mississippi and maybe you would be happier.
Now you're projection your anger on me. and you did blow a fuse or you wouldn't be defending yourself right now.

and What's this "I don't like Mississippi" stuff? If I didn't like Mississipi I wouldn't talk about it, period. but by me voicing concerns shows I care.

Maybe deep down it's YOU that don't like Mississippi. yeah that's it.

I knew a guy that hated his freckles but he loved it when girls said he was cute. He was confused the same way you are now.

And the one major positive I got from the video is a HOPE that somebody with some serious cash will come down here and invest in the state and show us how it's done. Because it's painfully obvious "we" aren't doing a good job of "Selling Mississippi" to the rest of the world if videos like that got out there.

A little embarrasment can go a long way in changing things.

If Mississippi don't care, how can you expect strangers to care?(Pelosi)

I honestly believe the people that took Pelosi to meet those people was the problem. THEY had a chance to take Pelosi to a better surrounding and got a better story, THEY dropped the ball and from what appeared to be a knock on poor people, it backfired up the butt and shamed the whole state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi