Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times

Advertisements

Here is a report about Mississippi from a news program. It shows that typical people from Mississippi are very poor, backwards, and uneducated. Is this report about Mississippi an accurate portrayal of what life is like in Mississippi?

Bill Maher | Southerners | Primaries | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 AM

190 posts, read 692,576 times
Quote:
Here is a report about Mississippi from a news program.
Sure it is.

Quote:
It shows that typical people from Mississippi are very poor, backwards, and uneducated. Is this report about Mississippi an accurate portrayal of what life is like in Mississippi?

Being that you are in Arizona, odds are you must have come into this country illegally, based on many of the reports I see (from various news sources of course).

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
I had heard about this video but this is the first time I watched it. I expected a string of toothless hicks. There was the one guy with dental issues but not an entire video of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
It shows that typical people from Mississippi are very poor, backwards, and uneducated.
Some of the information given in this video is typical and other parts aren't. The racial parts, not typical. There are pockets of racial issues especially with the older crowd. Same with the belief that the President is Muslim.

Poor - Yes, you could tell the guy with the dental issues may have a problem with his income stream. But the other guys, how do you know how much they make? I know guys that look just like that but also have a private plane and millions in the bank.

Uneducated - Same as the income, how do you know? Just because we have an accent doesn't mean we are uneducated. I have an accent just like those guys and I have both bachelor's and master's degrees.

Backwards - Does standing up for our values make us backwards?

Accurate - Will an interview with 5 people give us an accurate portrayal of life in AZ? No. I'm not sure where Ms. Pelosi found these people but not "just off the plane" as Bill said. That is unless they landed at some remote air strip in the delta.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 AM

55 posts, read 136,758 times
Why did she only interview white men? Is Mississippi 100% White men? I could have filmed this in rural any state..... and I lived in the west for over 30 years. (With the exception of "the south will rise again" and the dilapidated homes.) If I drive to Wal-mart (saw Wal-mart it the background) from where I live, I see some of the folks she interviewd, however I also see nicely dressed white men, white women, black men, and black women. I've been ashamed of Bill for some time. I'm not a conservative and I supported Hillary Clinton for President. This film was not what I've encountered since my move to Mississippi.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM

254 posts, read 202,600 times
Quote:
Here is a report about Mississippi from a news program. It shows that typical people from Mississippi are very poor, backwards, and uneducated. Is this report about Mississippi an accurate portrayal of what life is like in Mississippi?
Hmm I wonder why...
Quote:
Originally Posted by publicpolicypolling View Post
On Monday, polling firm Public Policy Polling (PPP) revealed that 29 percent of likely GOP voters surveyed in Mississippi believe that interracial marriage should be illegal. Fifty-four percent said intermarriage should remain legal, and the rest responded that they weren't sure. The survey also found that 21 percent of likely GOP voters polled in Alabama believe that interracial marriage should be illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by publicpolicypolling View Post
A November 2011 Public Policy Polling survey found that only 13% of Mississippi voters supported the legalization of same-sex marriage, while 78% were opposed and 9% were not sure. A separate question on the same survey found that 38% of respondents supported legal recognition of same-sex couples, with 10% supporting same-sex marriage and 28% supporting civil unions, 60% opposed all legal recognition, and 2% were not sure, making Mississippi one of the most conservative states in the country on the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallup View Post
Mississippians were the most frequent churchgoers in the nation in 2009, as was the case in 2008, with 63% of residents attending weekly or almost every week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallup View Post
Mississippi remains the most conservative state in the union, and, along with Utah, Wyoming, and Alabama, is one of four states with 50% or more of its population identifying as conservative.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist Liberal View Post
Hmm I wonder why...
If you go back to the first PPP survey discussion, you will see that we show they not only have an agenda but have poor survey methods.

What's wrong with the Gallup results?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
The fishing is always good on the Mississippi forum.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Bill Maher | Southerners | Primaries | The Daily Caller
Are there poor, backwards, and uneducated people in Mississippi? Most definitely yes. But as stated earlier, only one of the men pictured could be definitively classified as "very poor" (the one with dental issues, who doesn't care for the gub'mint except for his food stamps, and who looks more than a little mentally unstable). The others looked like regular working-class folk, but they could be worth more than Maher himself. I dress like that when I'm there (except no, I do NOT own anything with a "Proud to be White" label sewn to it).

As for uneducated and backwards... unfortunately, while a generalization, there's a lot of that in Mississippi. They believe what Rush and Glen say on the radio, what conservative commentators on Fox News say on the TV, and what ultra-conservative protestant preachers say from the pulpit. I know people from my childhood, some related to me, who while otherwise intelligent, firmly believe that Obama is not a US citizen and/or is a Muslim, that 99% of planned parenthood money goes toward third-trimester abortions, that all people in California are either gay or crazy, that all forms of welfare should end (but only the WIC money to those black folk down the road... SS checks and/or food stamps are OK for white folk), that "The South WILL Rise Again", and that all minorities and "half-breeds" are second-class citizens.

That being said, other than the "south rising again" bit, you'll find the exact same people in rural areas of any other state in the USA. Yes, even California.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM

468 posts, read 786,415 times
No, it is only a very small slice of Mississippians. We have eight state-supported universities and fifteen state-supported two-year community colleges. We have people of all races living in the state. There are even churches such as mine that are multiracial.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
White Southerners are the last demographic its not only okay but politically correct and encouraged to make fun of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi