Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM

169 posts, read 237,584 times

Advertisements

We pay through the nose for taxes on our automobiles and registration, but the roads are like Beirut in Mississippi.

WHY????

And is it possible to sue the state so they can get off their butts and fix them?

We are paying entirely too much in taxes not to have nice roads in this state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM

352 posts, read 780,536 times
Really? Where are they bad? In the cities? I've been all over Simpson and Smith counties and the roads are better than Connecticut. 49 seems a little bad but they're working on it.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Which roads?

You need to find out if they are city roads, county roads or state roads.

Then you need to figure out a way to HELP, rather than just come on an online forum and b*tch.

First step: Educate yourself. Find out which agency is responsible for the roads you think are so bad. Then find out how they divide up their budget. How much are they spending on roads? Where does that money come from? Gas tax? Wheel tax?

Next step: GET INVOLVED. Contact the people who can do something about it. Tell them what you think the problem is and ask how it can be fixed. Start a petition. Write (informed) letters to the editor. Write your gov't representatives: city and county commissioners, state representatives and senators. Encourage them to fix the roads.

Be proactive instead of reactive.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM

374 posts, read 812,189 times
I haven't been everywhere, but the roads in Mississippi I've been on weren't that bad. Your neighbors to the west have exceptionally bad roads, especially up here.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
Really? Where are they bad? In the cities? I've been all over Simpson and Smith counties and the roads are better than Connecticut. 49 seems a little bad but they're working on it.

Oh I doubt that. You coudn't have driven all over Mississippi and not hit one pothole or catch a pebble to the windwhield. the roads are horrible. on the level of Lousiana tbh.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Which roads?

You need to find out if they are city roads, county roads or state roads.

Then you need to figure out a way to HELP, rather than just come on an online forum and b*tch.

First step: Educate yourself. Find out which agency is responsible for the roads you think are so bad. Then find out how they divide up their budget. How much are they spending on roads? Where does that money come from? Gas tax? Wheel tax?

Next step: GET INVOLVED. Contact the people who can do something about it. Tell them what you think the problem is and ask how it can be fixed. Start a petition. Write (informed) letters to the editor. Write your gov't representatives: city and county commissioners, state representatives and senators. Encourage them to fix the roads.

Be proactive instead of reactive.

Your ignorance is showing., I started the damn thread. THAT'S HELPING RIGHT THERE. What have you done in the past 50 years of horrible roads in Mississippi? that's what I thought. moving right along.

That's why I asked how can I sue the state. or did you catch that?

They'll get fixed alright, whether by choice or by force, they'll get fixed.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM

468 posts, read 785,746 times
Mississippi has some great four-lane highways. We started a massive four-laning program in the late 1980s, after the Legislature passed the 1987 highway bill.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
I started the damn thread.
Congratulations.

You asked about how to SUE the state, which is not helping at all.

You want to file a lawsuit against the poorest state in the nation, further diverting funds away from a possible solution for the bad roads and into attorney fees.

That helps no one but the lawyers.

To answer your question, NO, you can't sue the state unless the roads you think are bad are state roads and unless you can prove they are intentionally mismanaging the funds or you were injured from their negligence.

But you can work with the people who can actually do something about it.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Mississippi has some great four-lane highways. We started a massive four-laning program in the late 1980s, after the Legislature passed the 1987 highway bill.
not I-55 or I-10 or 49 heading north or south.

You'll have to be more specific on which roads have been updated.

And I'm not talking about the Natchez Trace, which they always seem to be working on year round.

Last edited by FreePress601; 04-02-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Congratulations.

You asked about how to SUE the state, which is not helping at all.

You want to file a lawsuit against the poorest state in the nation, further diverting funds away from a possible solution for the bad roads and into attorney fees.

That helps no one but the lawyers.

To answer your question, NO, you can't sue the state unless the roads you think are bad are state roads and unless you can prove they are intentionally mismanaging the funds or you were injured from their negligence.

But you can work with the people who can actually do something about it.

You bet your sweet buns I do.

And Mississippi is not the poorest state by a long shot, We don't spend NO MONEY so we should have a HUGE Surplus to play with. We just play that "poor" card to the rest of the nation. Mississippi is sitting on billions of dollars in the kitty still. Our Politicians are just real cunning at stealing chunks of it when nobody's looking.

The money is already being diverted somewhere, can you tell me where? because it damn sure ain't getting put on the roads around here. maybe a lawsuit is just the medicine that will get the powers that be off their tired butts and get to work. I know they don't want Uncle Sam's nose poking around down here, I know that, that's why I wanna do it. Drastic circumstances need drastic solutions.

I can go out and take pictures right now to prove how bad the roads are. That alone is mismanagement of states funds. Barbour claimed to have balanced the budget but I bet he didn't fix one road around here while he was in office. It's an educated guess and I bet I'm right too.

and fyi - I've written letters, sounded off at city council meetings only to fall on deaf ears. maybe it's time for a lawsuit. Jack up the state and get that money going to where it needs to go and not in some crooked politicians pocket to use on their campaign ads.

And so what if a lawyer gets paid. Gotta do something. I'm tired of replacing tires before their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi