U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:08 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,564,157 times

Advertisements

Hi, im not exactly going to go around shouting nasty comments and so forth. I do keep my opinions to myself and have been brought up better than that. I was mearly expressing my views on this forum and asking questions because there are Mississippians etc on this forum. Like i said to everyone earlier, there was no harm meant. I just wanted to find out more about MS that was all.

As for cities, i really like Charlotte, NC. I have alot of friends in SC though.

P.S Aiangel_Writier, I dont have an "attitude" but im an individual with opinions which were made when i first visited your state. I dont hate MS or people there but im not going to agree to everything that goes on there. I am tactful and know how to speak, if you think im bad there are some folks there who condem me because i dont go to church or hunt, I believe thats an attitude problem and some people there are obsessed with religion that in fact in scared me...
Rate this post positively

Old 09-16-2007, 10:17 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,141,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Hi, im not exactly going to go around shouting nasty comments and so forth. I do keep my opinions to myself and have been brought up better than that. I was mearly expressing my views on this forum and asking questions because there are Mississippians etc on this forum. Like i said to everyone earlier, there was no harm meant. I just wanted to find out more about MS that was all.

As for cities, i really like Charlotte, NC. I have alot of friends in SC though.

P.S Aiangel_Writier, I dont have an "attitude" but im an individual with opinions which were made when i first visited your state. I dont hate MS or people there but im not going to agree to everything that goes on there. I am tactful and know how to speak, if you think im bad there are some folks there who condem me because i dont go to church or hunt, I believe thats an attitude problem and some people there are obsessed with religion that in fact in scared me...
Actually, that is part of our Southern culture. Our religious roots are very deep and will most always be so. May I suggest very kindly, since we scare you with guns, hunting and religion, you seek a home in a more Northly direction? I would suggest it be north of the Mason-Dixon line. If you are unfamiliar with this line, a short lesson in culture and history should help you understand. no offense intended... Bless your heart.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,361,650 times
When I visited Mississippi. No one attacked me with a gun or a bible. People were genuine and friendly. I spoke with many people. I mainly listened as I was a visitor, a guest in the state. I learned much by listening and observing. I noted that the culture differed from my own yet stood on its own merit. I came to experience with an open heart and mind. I never once thought to myself that the state of Mississippi was somehow missing out.

Squidlo

Last edited by Squidlo; 09-16-2007 at 10:43 PM..

Old 09-16-2007, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 25,829 times
Scotslass, One must first understand your version of "poverty". Some people here liking the simple life and could easily be misconstrued as poor. Others, agreed, are "dirt" poor. Aberdeen and the Grampian's were nice indeed. But very tourist orientated. Outside of there nice, but not lavish either. However, I am judging this from "MY" version of poor. I didn't see anything close to my Escalade nor my suburban parked in the average persons driveway. I never looked down on them for having small simple homes or just OK cars. I did like it better than Dublin though, nice as well, just not nearly as well off as Scots it would seem. From someone else's point of view, you guys may be seen as living high on the hog. You must remember one important phrase when in America, "Birds of a feather, stick together." for had you only seen Bartlett,Tn and some of the nice subdivisions of Olive Branch,MS , you would say what most of us do. "Where do these poeple get the money for this?" Just likeeverywhere else in the US and the world for that matter, you won't find many trailer parks next to mansions. Mississippi is the poorest state overall indeed, but there is money to be found and made here like every other state. I have lived in six states, this will be my last. Life is a little slower here, by choice, just as much as it may be seen as a little more simpler as well. But that in itself is what makes this such a great state. This in some ways, less a few of us, makes this the least decadent state in the union.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 25,829 times
Default P.s.

And as for the hunting issue. People hunt every place in this country. In the city it is just a different kind of hunting, sadly enough. It is breed into us as a need and sport, just like that rock tumbling and log throwing thing you guys do. Fun to watch but will never understand it. I myself do not hunt, I do however own guns. If there is one thing Americans like more than their country, it is their guns, and the right to own them.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,564,157 times
Still its unecessary killing poor animals that dont deserve it for ones pleasure.

I will be visiting my boyfriends parents sometime soon in MS.

Hunting is not a need, funnily we manage quite fine shopping at Walmart, i think its just an excuse for people to hunt.

P.S I will never understand why Americans love guns, they are weapons to kill and us fellow Scots see it as being sorta crazy, thats why there are so many gun deaths because of your consitution. I think stricter gun control is needed for everyone. I personally dont find guns exciting as they remind me of all those shootings and think i could be doing something alot more productive. There is more to life than guns, thats where Americans go wrong. Get out more and socialize, meet new friends etc

Where else did you visit when you were in Scotland? Toss the Caber thing, never ever been to the highland games, im not very Scottish as such im just me haha.

Last edited by Scotslass; 09-17-2007 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 AM

767 posts, read 2,093,337 times
Quote:
Hi, im not exactly going to go around shouting nasty comments and so forth. I do keep my opinions to myself

I believe you will have trouble most anywhere you move. Why not stay in scotland and improve it?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 AM

31 posts, read 140,778 times
I believe I need to help out my fellow Americans and Mississippians here. Scotslass, if you have that attitude then you will not like here and will not have many friends here. Americans do not hate criticism, Americans hate unnecessary criticism. If you are offering "constructive criticism" I promise you, you will go a lot further and make a lot more friends. Mississippians and Americans are some of the nicest and friendliest neighbors you will ever have. I am going to offer you some "advice" I would hope you would do the same If I ever visited Scottland. Perhaps, you would have been better asking in a friendly/polite way why we do things around here the way we do, instead of passing judgement on what we do. Trust me, if we are doing something wrong we will be judged by a much higher power. I hope you enjoy your stay. God Bless.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:02 PM

376 posts, read 1,663,031 times
Quote:
Still its unecessary killing poor animals that dont deserve it for ones pleasure.

Hunting is not a need, funnily we manage quite fine shopping at Walmart, i think its just an excuse for people to hunt.

P.S I will never understand why Americans love guns, they are weapons to kill and us fellow Scots see it as being sorta crazy, thats why there are so many gun deaths because of your consitution. I think stricter gun control is needed for everyone. I personally dont find guns exciting as they remind me of all those shootings and think i could be doing something alot more productive. There is more to life than guns, thats where Americans go wrong. Get out more and socialize, meet new friends etc

Where else did you visit when you were in Scotland? Toss the Caber thing, never ever been to the highland games, im not very Scottish as such im just me haha.
Most hunters eat what they kill. It is not just for pleasure, but what God or Nature intended us to do. We are carnivores/ominivores for a reason. Hunting animals is far more humane than how most of the meat supply is raised and slaughtered. Hunters have great respect for animals, while the average meat eater has little. Americans love guns because our nation was built on the ideals of individualism and freedom, to which the right to bear arms remains essential. We are the most free nation in the world, and we like it that way. Freedom has its sacrifices, but most Americans believe that those sacrifices are worth it. I think true freedom is incomprehensible to most foriegners. It's in our blood and what we live for.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:43 PM

767 posts, read 2,093,337 times
Quote:

scotsass
Why do you have hunting seasons in scotland?

Game & Wild fowl Seasons Deer Season
Pheasant 1 Oct to 1 Feb Red deer stags 1 Jul 20 Oct
Partridge 1 Sep to 1 Feb Red deer hinds 21 Oct 15 Feb
Grouse 12 Aug to 10 Dec Fallow bucks 1 Aug 30 April
Common Snipe 12 Aug 31 Jan Fallow does 21 Oct 15 Feb
Woodcock 1 Sep 31 Jan Sika stags 1 Jul 20 Oct
Duck & Goose Inland - 1 Sep 31 Jan Sika hinds 21 Oct 15 Feb
Duck & Goose Foreshore - 1 Sep 20 Feb Roe bucks 1 April 20 Oct
Hare Shooting 1 Aug 29 Feb Roe does 21 Oct 31 March

Must be some good hunting over there. Mayby I will go visit after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi