U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
 
169 posts, read 220,223 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

If you end up with one of these bad boys in your boat, you better kill it or it will kill you!!! guaranteed. and this is not even the biggest ones. this one looks like a young pregnant one.

I swear these things come from Catfhish and Alligators mating..lol

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
 
169 posts, read 220,223 times
Reputation: 28
oh and don't eat it. the meat ain't that good imo. at least I don't think so. I like to chop em up as chum for Catfish.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: MS
4,396 posts, read 4,644,394 times
Reputation: 1557
The largest I've see was in southeast Arkansas (caught in the MS river) back in the 80's. Its head was against the rear window of a pickup and the tail was visible just over the tailgate.

That's the record heaviest gar, not the longest. theBRIGADE: World Record Alligator Gar caught in Mississippi Lake : theBRIGADE
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,112 posts, read 2,425,875 times
Reputation: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The largest I've see was in southeast Arkansas (caught in the MS river) back in the 80's. Its head was against the rear window of a pickup and the tail was visible just over the tailgate.

That's the record heaviest gar, not the longest. theBRIGADE: World Record Alligator Gar caught in Mississippi Lake : theBRIGADE
I never really thought about how similar they look to an alligator, maybe because i'm used to seeing small ones. The big one in the pictures you posted shows it much better. Four fins that look almost like undeveloped legs, alligator nose.... yep.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 AM
 
169 posts, read 220,223 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I never really thought about how similar they look to an alligator, maybe because i'm used to seeing small ones. The big one in the pictures you posted shows it much better. Four fins that look almost like undeveloped legs, alligator nose.... yep.
yea, you're seeing the ones in the Museums in Mississppi, I don't think they can house a big one too long as he would eat up everything else in the tank..lol...gotta keep em small in the museums.

Gars are the ferel hogs of the lakes and rivers in Mississippi. worse than carpe.

only wish they ate carpe...lol..then they would be useful...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: The South
767 posts, read 2,185,346 times
Reputation: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post

Gars are the ferel hogs of the lakes and rivers in Mississippi. worse than carpe.

only wish they ate carpe...lol..then they would be useful...
You possibly need to read a little about Gar. Look here.


Garmasters
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 PM
 
169 posts, read 220,223 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
You possibly need to read a little about Gar. Look here.


Garmasters
did not know that. thanks. I was concerned about my bass.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
114 posts, read 210,400 times
Reputation: 91
The alligator gar is a nice fish species, but there are other large freshwater fish species from around the world. Here are some species that you can be familiar with.

Mega Fish, Largest Freshwater species | Mega Fishing Thailand, (http://www.megafishingthailand.com/posts/1367 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top