Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times

Advertisements

If Mississippi abandoned fundamental Christianity they would get a lot of people. People with sanity generally don't want to move to a place where gays and blacks are bullied like the 1950s never ended. Stop that garbage and the state will do well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM

19 posts, read 44,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
General remark. Almost everybody and his dog gets tuition reimbursements + small assistantship to cover living expenses if he's enrolled to a sci&eng etc. grad school in any state. The lower rank of university, the more assistanships are distributed among grad students (mostly foreigners from poor countries). Honestly, put your excitement aside and look at this "pleasantry" as a big red flag. They don't shower medical, pharmacy, law, business, dental (or any undegrads for that matter) with free tuition and stipends. So why sci&eng grad students are so "special"? After all if a grad degree in sci&eng is so lucrative, they would jack tuition up to capitalize on the financial success of their graduates (the way law, medical, etc. schools do). There is big ugly side to this grad school "generosity". Make a wild guess.
You assumed quite a bit about our lives. ;-)

Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
If Mississippi abandoned fundamental Christianity they would get a lot of people. People with sanity generally don't want to move to a place where gays and blacks are bullied like the 1950s never ended. Stop that garbage and the state will do well!
And you lived in Mississippi how long?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Quote:
Oh, my...

First, have you stopped to consider that a great many (possibly even most) of Mississippi's extreme Fundamentalist Christians might be black? When in 2004, 86 percent of Mississippians voted to ban Gay Marriage (the highest percentage of any state, I think), did you stop to think this may have had something to do with the fact that Mississippi is the state which also has the highest percentage of people of African Heritage?

Every time Mississippi's 'leaders' propose some new bit of HATE LEGISLATION (directed entirely at Gays, and women who have the odd notion that they should have control of their own bodies), another exodus of the state's Best & Brightest is set in motion. Smart kids picking colleges pick the ones farthest from Mississippi, and announce to their parents that they're not moving back, when they've attained certification in their fields. "OK! That does it!" is something I heard too many times, when some insane law was proposed. I lost too many key hires, as did my Husband. So, we finally followed our kids (and our most brilliant employees)....far, FAR, out of the South.

But correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't recall any groundswell reaction from the Black Community, against any of the draconian anti-Gay/anti-Woman measures proposed (and occasionally enacted) by Mississippi's grandstanding politicians. In fact, it is my impression that the state's Blacks are among those whom the politicians seek to impress with their regressive theatrics.

In any event, what's wrong with Fundamentalist Christians' having a state whose mores, folkways, and laws reflect their culture and values (and prominent local issues, such as the high crime rate)? Are you saying that their culture must be subordinate to the currently dominant Liberal Orthodoxy? Personally, I think it's nice that there's a little corner of America, where Black and Celtic and Afroceltic people are not subjugated by alien races and cultures, and where they can feel comfortable in their beliefs and folkways.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
If only Mississippi did not get negative press such as the following:

Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA - CNN.com
Police: Phony officer could be killing Mississippi drivers - CNN.com

I love the MS Gulf Coast, btw... Couldveasily live there.

Last edited by minibrings; 05-15-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Oh, my...

First, have you stopped to consider that a great many (possibly even most) of Mississippi's extreme Fundamentalist Christians might be black? When in 2004, 86 percent of Mississippians voted to ban Gay Marriage (the highest percentage of any state, I think), did you stop to think this may have had something to do with the fact that Mississippi is the state which also has the highest percentage of people of African Heritage?

Every time Mississippi's 'leaders' propose some new bit of HATE LEGISLATION (directed entirely at Gays, and women who have the odd notion that they should have control of their own bodies), another exodus of the state's Best & Brightest is set in motion. Smart kids picking colleges pick the ones farthest from Mississippi, and announce to their parents that they're not moving back, when they've attained certification in their fields. "OK! That does it!" is something I heard too many times, when some insane law was proposed. I lost too many key hires, as did my Husband. So, we finally followed our kids (and our most brilliant employees)....far, FAR, out of the South.

But correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't recall any groundswell reaction from the Black Community, against any of the draconian anti-Gay/anti-Woman measures proposed (and occasionally enacted) by Mississippi's grandstanding politicians. In fact, it is my impression that the state's Blacks are among those whom the politicians seek to impress with their regressive theatrics.

In any event, what's wrong with Fundamentalist Christians' having a state whose mores, folkways, and laws reflect their culture and values (and prominent local issues, such as the high crime rate)? Are you saying that their culture must be subordinate to the currently dominant Liberal Orthodoxy? Personally, I think it's nice that there's a little corner of America, where Black and Celtic and Afroceltic people are not subjugated by alien races and cultures, and where they can feel comfortable in their beliefs and folkways.
Yea I agree the blacks are as stupid as the whites in general there, but I'm pointing out what would attract people to the state. Normal people don't want to move to the Christian version of Iran and that's why the state suffers such a brain drain. The state has a lot going for it naturally with beaches, a warm climate and a low cost of living but any intelligent person is going to find the intellectual environment lacking and frustrating

Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Who considers Vermont and New Hampshire 'East Coast'? Not me. Not anyone I know.
I do. I live in New Hampshire and i have yet to meet one Granite Stater who would agree with you.

Also ive had many good experiences with New Yorkers and with folks on the east coast. On 9/11 i was covered in ash from my building walking home wiht no wallet. Strangers gave me water and helped me clean up. Cab driver took me home free. I once saw a guy pass out on the subway and strangers helped him. Several times people have walked up to me as i looked at a subway map and asked if i needed help. I went to an ivy university and ive never seen people hide research material. Ive met nice people in the hamptons. Ive met good and bad people here just like anywhere else (ive been to 45 countries and 46 states) . Ive learned not to stereotype new yorkers or mississipians as only idiots do that, imo? People are people. Mostly good, a smaller percenage, not so.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:43 AM

468 posts, read 786,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If only Mississippi did not get negative press such as the following:

Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA - CNN.com
Police: Phony officer could be killing Mississippi drivers - CNN.com

I love the MS Gulf Coast, btw... Couldveasily live there.
As for the first link, here's an answer to it:

Mississippi teen pleads guilty to murder, hate crime | Fox News

As for the second, it doesn't have anything to do with Mississippi being "backwards".

Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM

468 posts, read 786,135 times
Quote:
Yea I agree the blacks are as stupid as the whites in general there, but I'm pointing out what would attract people to the state. Normal people don't want to move to the Christian version of Iran and that's why the state suffers such a brain drain. The state has a lot going for it naturally with beaches, a warm climate and a low cost of living but any intelligent person is going to find the intellectual environment lacking and frustrating

What are "normal" people in your circles?

Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Define normal people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi