Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 AM

16 posts, read 65,363 times

Advertisements

HI Everybody! I have been reading Mississippi posts the past couple of months and decided to jump in. My husband, 2 year-old son, and I are relocating from Idaho to Hernando towards the end of May. I am so excited but so nervous at the same time. I lived in Picayune for the 1st five years of my life and Mississippi holds a special place in my heart. It sounds like Northern Miss is quite different from the South...is that true?

I was hoping I could get some comments from all you readers to tell me the pros and cons of Hernando. We don't have a choice about which city to live...it has to be Hernando...so I want to know anything and everything!!!

My biggest fear plaguing me has to be the insects! Please give me a heads up and tell me what to expect. Roaches and Brown Recluse spiders are occupying my nightmares right now....how bad are they in Hernando??? What else do we need to watch out for? What do you suggest we do right when we get there to prevent any problems with insects or other animals??? This is really the only thing that has me nervous. In Idaho we just have to deal with HOBO spiders(which make my skin crawl...but are manageable) but we don't have many other major problems. We do get mosquitoes and small ants...but can be taken care of very easily.

What else? I want to know everything. Oh...are there nice apartment complexes there? the only one I found through the internet was "The Magnolias"...it looked nice but that can't be the only one can it??

Okay...please...everyone comment...I want 2 cents from all of you!!! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 PM

22 posts, read 113,434 times
My first question is why do you Have to live in Hernando? Horn Lake and Southaven are right next door and still in Desoto county.

As far as the spiders go, I just moved here from Charlotte NC in March and was also creeped out, I googled MS Spiders and got all the info on them. They are not house spiders they like dark undisturbed places. That relieved me. There are also black widows here not to worry you more but the same applies to them. I only mentioned it because you should google as well if you want more info. Too much for me to post here.

I live in Brand new apts. not even a year old yet. We have not seen any roaches the 2 months we've been here but this is only spring. We like it here Hernando is 5 minutes away.

Do you have school aged children?

Direct message me if you have more questions on apt. and schools. some info is not allowed to be posted here.
Hope I can help.
MLH

Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM

Hi! It has to be Hernando because we are moving to "rehabilitate" a trailer park there, get the units filled, and then sell the individual trailers. We are planning on living in the park to be right where the action is and be able to work whenever we need to. However, we haven't seen the park yet...so we are leaving our options open to rent an apartment if needed. Therefore, we want to stay in Hernando...sometimes this job calls for odd hours and we want to be right near the property.

More info anyone???!?!?!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
You will definitely learn about spiders and roaches if you're reworking old trailer houses.

One trick I learned from a girl who came here from Germany is to pour about a quarter inch of household ammonia into a plastic spray can top and leave it in the less-traveled corners of the rooms you'll be working in. For some reason, it draws the spiders who then crawl in and drown in the ammonia.

The ammonia smell isn't too great, but it does get rid of a lot of spiders!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM

259 posts, read 789,239 times
Default I love it

Hernando is tiny but very very nice. It is 12 miles from Memphis so you are close to a big city. There is no action going on in Hernando but they have one really nice park with a huge playground for the kids.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:53 PM

78 posts, read 394,558 times
Default Hernando Things

I have lived in Hernando for 35 years & have seen it grow from 2,000 to over 15,000. It certainly is not the small town it use to be.

I have lived in the same house all that time & do not recall a big insect problem except for mosquitoes & must admit the city does very poorly on controlling them. Some of the other cities & the county start spraying in April & continue thu until the frost in the Fall. However, Hernando usually does not start spraying until late June or July, so they have an up hill battle.

If you are talking about the trailer park on Commerce St, it should not be in too bad shape. I do not know the current owners but the previous owners were the Whitfield's & they did a good job of up grading over the years they had it

I just left a job with county govt, so know many of the county & city officials.

I would be glad to help you anyway I can. If I can give you more info, send me a PM
Regards,
Frank

Old 05-04-2008, 07:14 PM

Default I appreciate it!

I appreciate the comments you have all given me! I am very optimistic about the move!

I still would love to hear more!! Places we should definitely see, food we should definitely try....I know I can't wait to get my hands on some fresh seafood(something we don't have too much of up North!)

Keep the advice rolling in folks!!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 PM

78 posts, read 394,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaura18 View Post
I appreciate the comments you have all given me! I am very optimistic about the move!

I still would love to hear more!! Places we should definitely see, food we should definitely try....I know I can't wait to get my hands on some fresh seafood(something we don't have too much of up North!)

Keep the advice rolling in folks!!
Welcome to Hernando, Mississippi

DeSoto County, Mississippi Home Page

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-05-2008 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: sorry, no advertising or soliciting on state forums

Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,812 times
Maybe it is just me personally, but I think Hernando is a good suburb of Memphis. It is one of the top places i would live if I had to live outside of the city. Hernando has definitely grown in the last few years and it has some great schools. It definitely isnt a megatropolis, but you get a small town feeling with a big(ish) city only 10 minutes away.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Just a bump

Hey all!

Thanks for the info...just wanted to give a bump to see if I can get anymore replies!...We will be in Hernando in about a week.

How is the weather...I have been hearing a lot about tonados?

Bugs?

Tell me where we should go eat, places to see, things to try!!

Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi