Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnightbird View Post
but it sounds like she has a wonderful mother

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 12:28 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
I heard Ocean Springs has gotten more artsy over the last 20 years or so.

To bring in strictly social and political climate, it (and most of the rest of the coast) probably is more laid back and tolerant than inland areas of the state. For the outright leftish (though not by coastal CA standards) socio-cultural climate, Bay St Louis (on the other side of Gulfport) and the City of Biloxi are the longest established centers of such stuff. If that matters to you, then that's where you'll likely find more of it.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:28 AM

75 posts, read 107,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmomma View Post
Hello. My husband's job would love to transfer him to Ocean Springs, MS. (He'd be working in Pascagoula and it was suggested we live in Ocean Springs) I'm from California orginally, and I have to admit that my gut reaction is that there is no way in he** I want to move to the South. We currently live in Salt Lake, and though it took some getting used to, I like our neighborhood and there are lots of fun things to do. (we hike, camp, swim, etc)

I do see form this board that Ocean Springs sounds like a nice place. However, I am just very used to the West Coast----the mountains, the weather, food, etc...

I am VERY nervous the south because of bugs, snakes, gators, humid weather, different culture, racism?...but I am trying to get used to the idea.

Anyway, we have four kids and I was wondering--does Ocean Springs have a lot of fun things for kids to do? I am a SAHM and right now we spend a lot of time at parks, pools, kids museums, etc. We are an active family and love to get out and do things. Please let me know what ocean springs offers for children. Thank you so much!
Culture is not deeply "Southern" in my experience, but there are tons of Trump voters and Republicans. I consider that a good thing.

People are generally quiet here -- no rowdy parties in the front yard, no loud music.

I don't have kids so I do not know about what is available, but I do think there is plenty here for kids. Parks and such.

There are African Americans working in all industries in the town, everywhere. I can't imagine racism is a problem here.

It's a nice town but small. About 10,000 people, and basically it's one strip of highway. Some people might like the long length of the town, others may not.

Cost of living is low, utilities low, homes are very cheap and nice.

Two boutique coffee shops you may like.

The downtown offers some nice shops, but seems more oriented to an "older" or retiree crowd.

In terms of grocery stores, not much variety and really no full-fledged health food store. Then again, it is a small town.

The post office is the worst one I've ever dealt with, but that is just a minor inconvenience.

The Taco Bell, for whatever reason, makes fresh food. It's the best Taco Bell I've ever had. Also check out Checkers, it's actually quite good and cheap for fast food.

Woody's seems like the best American-style restaurant in town. There are also a couple of family-run restaurants, one steakhouse for example and seafood style restaurant downtown that are more up-scale.

As for your other concerns, bugs aren't that bad (we live on the ocean), humidity is no issue at all, in my opinion. The winters are mild, very nice weather overall. Rain comes and goes quickly.

I haven't experienced a full summer here, though. I suspect it does get hot, but I love the heat. I've also noticed by electric AC does not use as much power as I expected.

My only real complaint is it is small. But a nicer town than Biloxi, Guitier or Pascagoula, by far.

Last edited by Trump_Fan1; 03-08-2017 at 06:46 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 07:08 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
ocean spring is very nice

Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM

36 posts, read 125,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Fan1 View Post
but there are tons of Trump voters and Republicans. I consider that a good thing.
I couldn't disagree more. This Republican party actively helps Mississippi be number one in:

Mississippi has the highest obesity rate in the nation.

In terms of completing high school, Mississippi ranks dead last.

In a 2014 evaluation, Mississippi students ranked last in school performance.

Mississippi has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

In 2014, 24.2% of Mississippi residents were living below the poverty level.

Mississippi has the lowest life expectancy in the country.

Mississippi has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the nation.

In 2014, the state’s economy ranked the worst in the nation.

Mississippi is considered one of the country’s most miserable states.

Source: 10 Of The Worst Things About Mississippi

The wealthier you are in this state..the happier you tend to be..because quite frankly..money and the privilege it gives you helps you to ignore and overlook all the misery that is around you. And that is not a good thing.

Last edited by PNightbird; 03-20-2017 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNightbird View Post
I couldn't disagree more. This Republican party actively helps Mississippi be number one in:

Mississippi has the highest obesity rate in the nation.
Clearly the fault of republicans. They are so evil making people eat fatty foods and not go to school

Quote:
The wealthier you are in this state..the happier you tend to be..
Unlike what state exactly? Please tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi