U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:09 PM

8 posts, read 47,611 times

Advertisements

I am located towards Hattiesburg. Originally from the west coast. But I have lived in Colorado and South Florida as well. I have southern roots clear back to the 1700's. That being said, from what I have personally experienced is that people here are a lot bolder and the women tend to be downright rude at times/bitchy. Not all but it is a lot more apparent that you would see on the west coast. For instance, on the west coast if you go into a mall and the salesgirl for some reason has attitude, she will keep in check as she knows that there is a certain level of professionalism expected. Here, I can personally tell you doesnt matter at all. I am white, petite and fit, in my 20's and dress fairly trendy (7 for all mankind jean, certainly nothing out of the norm for Denver's casual daytime dress). The women here (especially white women) are very snippy at times to me. I have heard things like that I am an n lover, guys like me for my rear and yes believe it or not had a couple of sales clerks chant the sir mix alot song.

As far as the black people go, I have met and never had any racism towards myself. There are just as many if not more white folk that are perfectly happy living in a trailer and on welfare as black folk. I am sure if you see the numbers it would be equal in some areas here. Lack of educational opportunities are I think the number one area that keeps the black folk set and stuck into poverty. There is a definite need for resources to help youth raise above the situation they were born into.

I have to say that in all my years on the west coast that most under 45 don't have racist attitudes or feelings. Yes there are ghettos but there are lots of trailer parks and white ghettos too. People are less likely to attend church on a regular basis but more likely to entertain liberal ideas Moderator cut: off topic for Mississippiand embrace diversity. Also politicians don't preach how they are devout christians whom want to enact school prayer. The south is just different. Not good or bad. Everyones experience is different I guess. This has just been mine and what I have seen. I can say that the youth has more manners and respect towards there parents though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 53,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D. View Post
If you visited from California with that mindset, we would respectfully invite you to not return.
Oh, I didn't visit with that mindset, that's what I saw while down there. I also saw some of the hardest working and just plain NICEST people while I was down there as well, and know what I experienced isn't all the state has to offer. But, it does exist.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM

177 posts, read 887,497 times
I grew up in Greenville, lived there 15 years, left in 1986...my dad and a sister still live there. I don't visit much anymore and wouldn't move back if you paid me three times what I make now.

There has always been a white vs black thing as long as I can remember and nothing has changed there. The thing about it it, there is going to be issues like that until the end of time. Most folks in the south, including Mississippi, have learned to live and get along with each other. There are more race issues outside the south but the south always gets the blame or the credit, however you look at it.

Someone posted about blacks and crime, blah, blah, but when you're in an area that is 70% black chances are most crimes are going to be commited by blacks. I live in the mountains of NC that has a high percentage of whites and guess what, most crimes are commited by whites...go figure.

I think the south and Miss. should get a little more credit than we're given. And yes, Greenville is the pits and is not a good place to raise a family. Has nothing to do with blacks but just the awful state of Greenville and the Delta in general.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:03 PM

420 posts, read 1,154,683 times
That is a really excellent point, I agree. I am from the midwest, and my parents were born in Mississippi and will be moving back soon. I did notice how segregated it still is. I am an african american from Wisconsin, and the whites in Mississippi were very nice to me when I visited there. I think Mississippi gets a bad rap because of its history. I think people as a whole should not be narrow minded, and not judge people because of the color of their skin. I'm black and I love all people. I hope when I moved to Mississippi that people embrace us. I thought about moving to Ridgeland, Madison, or Pearl. I hope my kids will be accepted there.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 PM

433 posts, read 1,419,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I think Mississippi gets a bad rap because of its history.
And quite deservedly so. But things are changing for the better, IMO. Now if Hollywood and the media would get a reality check and start portraying Mississippi like it is now rather than what it was like 40 years ago, we might actually begin to get a little respect

Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM

177 posts, read 887,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Now if Hollywood and the media would get a reality check and start portraying Mississippi like it is now rather than what it was like 40 years ago, we might actually begin to get a little respect
That's one of the biggest contributors to the perception. As long as people see and hear it that way they're not going to know any difference.

I'd like to make a point about something that I don't want to cause any flame wars, just make a point, and it has a lot to do with that perception and the media.

All of the confederate flag issues we've had for years now (and I don't really care about it either way); You know the only time a confederate flag is used to promote hate is from hate groups. They're the ones that have caused people to despise the flag. Think about it.
*I'm trying to make a point, please don't start a flag war.*

Old 11-17-2007, 01:28 PM

8 posts, read 23,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
And having lived in the Delta myself, I feel as qualified as the next person to comment. My statement was directed at the personal attacks that were starting...and THAT would be off topic and subjecting the entire thread to being moved to Controversies or shut down. It may have been a "stated impression" to you that this had something to do with Jena, but that was NOT the OP's question

Lest we all get lost, this was the original post:
However, if the debate is truly over race relations, it doesn't belong in the Mississippi forum....

Is this tongue-in-cheek response? I don't understand. Why wouldn't it belong on MS forum? AK

Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
To get back to the original question, I believe we still have more elected African American officials than any other state. There is still a lot of "social segregation" in the Delta, mostly by choice. I think most churches are segregated too. That doesn't apply to all of the state, however. I'm not sure what you mean by "racial taboos".
Gee, can't you think of some racial taboos? I am not from here, but I'll give a few:
1. Are there certain establishments that the member of different
should not step in?
2. Interacial marriages
3. Interacial dating
4. Socializing other than on-the-job
AK

Old 11-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D. View Post
I have no intention of engaging in a useless debate of inflamatory race rhetoric. However, I will identify and call-out a falsehood when one is posted.

There is no such thing as a segregated public school in the Mississippi Delta. Although there are some schools that are predominantly black, All public schools are integrated. The ratios run the spectrum. But, to say there are no integrated schools is a blatant falsehood. That the ratio may not reach your particular level of 'perceived equality' is irrelevant to the facts and to the law.

Last Friday we attended the Canton, MS High School vs Pearl, MS High School football game. These are public schools. Canton is predominantly minority and Pearl is probably 50-50. Ratios are determined by district lines and residence, not by Apartheid. The teams reflected that ratio. Notwithstanding your preferred outcome, there was (gasp) civility and tons of fun at this homecoming game for Pearl. Pearl's homecoming queen was a black young lady who (gasp) attends church in Canton.

There is also no such thing as a 'woefully inadequate public school' in the Mississippi Delta. Federal and state laws prohibit that and roughly 72% of the state annual budget is spent on public school education and physical plants. This is a 'poor' state, speaking comparatively; however, the expenditure for public schools is second to none, relatively speaking.

Although there are private educational institutions throughout the South and certainly in the Delta region, all of them publish non-discrimination pledges in their mandatory newspaper advertisements. It is a violation of law to refuse admission to any student based on race or ethnicity.

My wife has taught in the public schools of the Mississippi Delta counties and part-delta counties for over 30 years. She has had classrooms ranging from 90-10 black to those that are roughly 50-50 black-white.

Your figures are inaccurate and your conclusion is patently wrong. You obviously have a goal of painting the Mississippi Delta with a brush from the 1950s; however you fall flat when confronted. I will watch for your subsequent posts and will call you out again if need be.

Otherwise, peace.

Don
Some of us are fascinated by racial issues in the South. I, for one, would really like to know how people who live in the Mississppi really feel about their neighbors of diffent race. My feeling is, that is the situation is much better than most outsiders think.

Why couldn't we discuss this topic without being insulting? I like to see contribution by people like Don, because he seems to be level-headed about it. And some of us are curious, that's all. ak

Old 11-17-2007, 02:20 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,008,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Kid View Post
However, if the debate is truly over race relations, it doesn't belong in the Mississippi forum....

Is this tongue-in-cheek response? I don't understand. Why wouldn't it belong on MS forum? AK
Because it segued off into race relations everywhere, AK - not just MS. This is a Mississippi forum, we'll talk about MS specifically. If we want to talk regional or national race relations, then it indeed has a broader spectrum than just the Mississippi delta and needs to be somewhere else, like Politics and Controversies, where this thread resided at one time.

The OP has not returned to my knowledge to answer the questions posed about racial taboos...and that would indicate to me the OP is no longer interested in the answers. The questions posed were specific to the delta region. Asked, answered, and beat to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi