U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 13,148 times

Advertisements

If you have kids and prefer a small town, Oxford is a nice place to raise a family. Also, New Albany is a very nice small town to raise a family. Plus, in New Albany, you can easily run down to Tupelo and do all your shopping. New Albany doesn't have a university like Oxford but that could be a positive....just depends on the person. New Albany is probably cheaper than Oxford and Tupelo too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,233 times
Tupelo is a really nice town, growing! Hattiesburg is on the growth fast due to being a college town. All in all, most of the ones you have mentioned are going to be great!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
I went to college at Southern Miss and decided to reside in Hattiesburg until something takes me away. Hattiesburg is great because of the resources located in the city and its location in relation to other important places in Mississippi/Alabama/Louisiana. Hattiesburg is about 1 hour, 45 minutes from New Orleans....1 hour, 30 minutes from Jackson.... 1 hour, 30 minutes from Meridian....1 hour, 15 minutes from Mobile, AL....1 hour from Gulfport/Biloxi area.....1 hour, 20 minutes from McComb. Hattiesburg has everything you could ever want and/or need for shopping, dining, bars, entertainment, schools, etc. I'm sure any of the more developed cities in Mississippi are great, but I do enjoy Hattiesburg. There's a good mix of historical, urban, and antebellum scenery...and the western part of the city is loaded with shopping centers and whatnot. The university is also very active here and offers many events and activities throughout the year. Southern Miss has somewhat developed a pretty solid reputation as a center of arts and music, which has rubbed off to the city...which you wouldn't find so much in the other college towns besides Jackson.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM

352 posts, read 737,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfalzgraf2009 View Post
I went to college at Southern Miss and decided to reside in Hattiesburg until something takes me away. Hattiesburg is great because of the resources located in the city and its location in relation to other important places in Mississippi/Alabama/Louisiana. Hattiesburg is about 1 hour, 45 minutes from New Orleans....1 hour, 30 minutes from Jackson.... 1 hour, 30 minutes from Meridian....1 hour, 15 minutes from Mobile, AL....1 hour from Gulfport/Biloxi area.....1 hour, 20 minutes from McComb. Hattiesburg has everything you could ever want and/or need for shopping, dining, bars, entertainment, schools, etc. I'm sure any of the more developed cities in Mississippi are great, but I do enjoy Hattiesburg. There's a good mix of historical, urban, and antebellum scenery...and the western part of the city is loaded with shopping centers and whatnot. The university is also very active here and offers many events and activities throughout the year. Southern Miss has somewhat developed a pretty solid reputation as a center of arts and music, which has rubbed off to the city...which you wouldn't find so much in the other college towns besides Jackson.
Great info! I'm moving to Hattiesburg in the fall (after short stay in Smith County), can't wait to check everything out. I'm hoping to find some adult soccer leagues but so far, I haven't heard of any.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM

41 posts, read 104,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
Great info! I'm moving to Hattiesburg in the fall (after short stay in Smith County), can't wait to check everything out. I'm hoping to find some adult soccer leagues but so far, I haven't heard of any.
There are definitely some adult soccer leagues.

Go out to Tatum Park on the weekends and you'll see people playing pickup games, kids' leagues, adult leagues, softball.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 5,791 times
I am a bit biased but Oxford is hard to beat, probably my favorite place I have ever been too, it is truly the ideal college town. The coast is great too, enjoy!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM

352 posts, read 737,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblackwell99 View Post
There are definitely some adult soccer leagues.

Go out to Tatum Park on the weekends and you'll see people playing pickup games, kids' leagues, adult leagues, softball.

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the info!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:29 AM

60 posts, read 129,210 times
I'm from the Hattiesburg area originally (now in Dallas, TX), but I like Biloxi the best of all cities in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi