U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,762,815 times

Advertisements

Anything along Goodman Rd and south, between I55 and Hwy 78 is all nice. This is a huge area. Two major roads in this area are Goodman Rd and Church Rd.

Further south, the town of Hernando is very nice and there are nice neighborhoods on both sides of the interstate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,374,893 times
I shouldn't have used "hood". It's a very nice place just to the west of Target. I just get tired of typing neighborhood and subdivision all the time.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM

469 posts, read 868,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The best thing about Desoto county vs. Shelby county is that you have no risk of being swallowed up by The City of Memphis, and all it's related mess (crime, bad schools, bad and currupt politicians, bad police, mismanagement, waste, fraud, you name it...it's poster child of disfunctional government, hopefully recovering from the "King Willie" days). Of course, moving to the incorporated towns of Collierville, Germantown, etc, removes that threat as well. And they are both excellent and well managed towns.

As for the cost - you have to measure that out yourself. MS has the state income tax, TN (in Collierville and Germantown) have higher property taxes, higher housing costs, slightly higher sales tax. I believe there is a wash in terms of tax and housing costs, but it's dependent on each person's situation - where you work, schools, what kind of environment you want (urban vs. rural), all that have to be factored in.
The statement about disfunctional government in Memphis vs that of Desoto County is really quite remarkable in the face of your ongoing scandal with the Southaven mayor and the nonexistant management of citizens' taxes from the rest of the group which governs the town. By the way a portion of the crime experienced by Shelby County last year featured perpetrators from Northern Mississippi, and the impact from indigent Mississipians taken in and cared for at no cost in Memphis hospitals over many decades is still being felt by these institutions, so I wouldn't paint such a lopsidedly positive picture of Desoto vs Shelby.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,374,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
The statement about disfunctional government in Memphis vs that of Desoto County is really quite remarkable in the face of your ongoing scandal with the Southaven mayor and the nonexistant management of citizens' taxes from the rest of the group which governs the town.
It looks like the only criminal activity was done by the mayor. The rest of the city government is guilty of being stupid but not criminal. But the investigation is still ongoing.

I don't want to turn this into a "our city is less corrupt than yours" but if the shoe fits.

Quote:
By the way a portion of the crime experienced by Shelby County last year featured perpetrators from Northern Mississippi,
There will be a few but we can compare arrests and hometowns of the perps all day long - Memphis will have the higher numbers in both counties.

Quote:
the impact from indigent Mississipians taken in and cared for at no cost in Memphis hospitals over many decades is still being felt by these institutions, so I wouldn't paint such a lopsidedly positive picture of Desoto vs Shelby.
That's a state issue and not a county or city issue.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM

13,970 posts, read 20,186,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Anything along Goodman Rd and south, between I55 and Hwy 78 is all nice. This is a huge area. Two major roads in this area are Goodman Rd and Church Rd.

Further south, the town of Hernando is very nice and there are nice neighborhoods on both sides of the interstate.
I would agree with that. Goodman road is very busy however, a bit too busy. Church is an excellent byway to 78 or I55, still passing farm and undeveloped land. Will probably be exploding with development in the next 5 years.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,269,300 times
Quote:
The statement about disfunctional government in Memphis vs that of Desoto County is really quite remarkable in the face of your ongoing scandal with the Southaven mayor and the nonexistant management of citizens' taxes from the rest of the group which governs the town. By the way a portion of the crime experienced by Shelby County last year featured perpetrators from Northern Mississippi, and the impact from indigent Mississipians taken in and cared for at no cost in Memphis hospitals over many decades is still being felt by these institutions, so I wouldn't paint such a lopsidedly positive picture of Desoto vs Shelby.
I hate when this happens. Memphians are leaving in droves for DeSoto County because of the problems in Memphis, but someone always comes in to talk about North Mississippians and The Med, or to bring up the Southaven mayor. Yes, the mayor is a full blown idiot for doing that, but for every one incident of government mismanagement in DeSoto county, I can think of 10 in Memphis. Luckily, that may change since Herenton and his gang is out.

Some Memphians like to think North Mississippi is a drain on Memphis, but the truth is rather the opposite. Memphis built it's musical heritage on the backs of Mississippi artists, and Mississippian Fred Smith is responsible for bringing FedEx to Memphis.

Some Memphians have an attitude of superiority, and I can't figure out why. Just look at the state of the city of Memphis. Seriously, look around.

DeSoto County is no different than a number of Memphis suburbs using the services of The Med. They just happen to be in Mississippi. The state of Mississippi is not trying to "run something by" The Med, or "get something for nothing". It has been noted as a problem and has been addressed. Mississippi has made arrangements for funding of The Med.

Magnolia Money Chips In: Mississippi Medicaid Funds Boost The MED on Memphis Medical News

http://themedfoundation.org/giving/mississippi-friends-of-the-med (broken link)

From the article, you will notice that Mississippi is not the only reason The Med is in financial trouble today, Shelby county and the state of Tennessee have been underfunding them for more than 15 years:

"The MED’s financial plight resulted from being under-funded and under-capitalized for more than 15 years, with subsidies from Shelby County and the State of Tennessee not keeping pace with inflation, and nominal financial support from Arkansas and Mississippi."

Another exerpt from the article:

"Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, the Mississippi Division of Medicaid, state lawmakers and the Mississippi Hospital Association worked together for several months with The MED to help finalize the hospital’s participation in the complex Mississippi supplemental Medicaid payment program, under which The MED will make an intergovernmental transfer. The transfer will be used to draw matching federal dollars. Federal law would normally prohibit a hospital located across state lines from making an intergovernmental transfer and receiving funds from such a program. However, Tennessee’s congressional delegation was successful in placing into federal law an exception for The MED."

Another one to make sure we know what's going on here:

"At the first meeting on Dec. 3 of a 23-member task force appointed in November, chaired by Shelby County Mayor Joe Ford, to come up with solutions to The MED’s revenue crisis, commissioners pointed to Tennessee as the primary culprit for failing to pay its share to The MED."

One more:

"Looking to Arkansas and Mississippi for additional monetary support was not a high priority, said commissioners, who viewed the neighboring states “as the last two ornaments on the Christmas tree.”

Both states have worked diligently to provide The MED with new and innovative financial support. In December, Arkansas gave The MED $500,000 from the state’s tobacco fund, with a similar guarantee through 2011, and another $2.5 million a year for The MED. Mississippi has taken various measures."

It is normally against Federal law for a hospital across state lines to receive funding of this kind from another state, but Mississippi worked with The Med for several months to get an exception. Let the animosity go and start working together. It is what it is.

Last edited by jhadorn; 02-17-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi