U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
 
31,367 posts, read 35,411,454 times
Reputation: 15003

Advertisements

I'm not seeing the problem. I suppose they could have said, "making landfall between St. Bernard Parish, LA, Hancock, Harrison and Jackson Counties in MS." but I think that's a hell of a lot of extra words that landmass between New Orleans and Mobile works very well to shorten.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
814 posts, read 1,364,671 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm not seeing the problem. I suppose they could have said, "making landfall between St. Bernard Parish, LA, Hancock, Harrison and Jackson Counties in MS." but I think that's a hell of a lot of extra words that landmass between New Orleans and Mobile works very well to shorten.
I assume you are joking. They can say one word->Mississippi.

Or even more specific->Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,968 posts, read 4,738,982 times
Reputation: 4838
TWC is now claiming that they never said that phrase, "the land mass between New Orleans and Mobile". I rarely watch TWC so I personally didn't see it. Hundreds of people are claiming they heard the phrase used multiple times, but no one can find and post a video. I don't find that surprising because obviously no full-time news channel posts every minute of air time on the internet (especially with constantly changing forecasts like with a hurricane), and unlike the politically charged channels (Fox, MSNBC) you don't have people recording every show ready to throw them on youtube.

So anybody out there manage to record them saying the infamous phrase?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM
 
31,367 posts, read 35,411,454 times
Reputation: 15003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I assume you are joking. They can say one word->Mississippi.

Or even more specific->Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Not in the least bit. It is becoming apparent to me that my Mississippian brothers and sisters seem to think that eastern tip of Orleans Parish is also the most eastern portion of Louisiana, it ain't. The map in the above link clearly shows that half of the eastern side of the storm to be passing not only over Orleans Parish, but St. Bernard and St. Tammany Parish both of which are east of New Orleans and sho as hell ain't part of ya'lls Gulf Coast.

Saint Bernard Parish Region Map: Alluvial City — Yscloskey | United States Google Satellite Maps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
814 posts, read 1,364,671 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not in the least bit. It is becoming apparent to me that my Mississippian brothers and sisters seem to think that eastern tip of Orleans Parish is also the most eastern portion of Louisiana, it ain't. The map in the above link clearly shows that half of the eastern side of the storm to be passing not only over Orleans Parish, but St. Bernard and St. Tammany Parish both of which are east of New Orleans and sho as hell ain't part of ya'lls Gulf Coast.

Saint Bernard Parish Region Map: Alluvial City — Yscloskey | United States Google Satellite Maps
I think I know the geography of my city (New Orleans) and the metro areas. What does all this have to do with the phrase that was used and how it would actually be easier to say Mississippi Coast.

Also who actually knows where Mobile is besides some people from the sorrouding region. So the phrase that was used would probably not even help most Americans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM
 
31,367 posts, read 35,411,454 times
Reputation: 15003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I think I know the geography of my city (New Orleans) and the metro areas. What does all this have to do with the phrase that was used and how it would actually be easier to say Mississippi Coast.
Have no idea since I never suggested Mississippi Coast, I found the description as give to be perfectly suitable.

As for knowing the geography of my city - Charity born, raised in the mighty 13th, and still a proud former member of St. Aug's Marching 100 - I also know folks who make such claims but never got out of the Irish Channel much less the end of the line of the Broad St. bus.

Quote:
Also who actually knows where Mobile is besides some people from the sorrouding region. So the phrase that was used would probably not even help most Americans.
Not harp on the issue anymore than necessary but being a homeboy and all, you...

Oh, never mind!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 04:33 PM
 
4,740 posts, read 9,839,159 times
Reputation: 4169
Pleased that Shep knows how to pronounce Pass Christian.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
814 posts, read 1,364,671 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Have no idea since I never suggested Mississippi Coast, I found the description as give to be perfectly suitable.

As for knowing the geography of my city - Charity born, raised in the mighty 13th, and still a proud former member of St. Aug's Marching 100 - I also know folks who make such claims but never got out of the Irish Channel much less the end of the line of the Broad St. bus.



Not harp on the issue anymore than necessary but being a homeboy and all, you...

Oh, never mind!
I was saying that it seems like just saying Mississippi Coast would be easier than the long phrase of "Land mass between NOLA and Mobile". I doubt you would agree, though. I just have a lot of memories of going to the Mississippi Coast-Waveland, Bay St. Louis, Biloxi, Gulfport. Also thanks for the lovely description of you growing up in New Orleans.

I also know where Mobile is. All I was saying is that I doubt the average American would know where it is. So how would the phrase "Land mass between NOLA and Mobile" really even help. But I doubt you know the answer to that.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 08-31-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Denver
15,816 posts, read 23,854,709 times
Reputation: 11825
That phrase is stupid and disrespectful. Much better to say Mississippi coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top