Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:50 PM

60 posts, read 132,229 times

Advertisements

Isn't Natchez considered nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 PM

202 posts, read 350,454 times
Natchez isn't part of the Delta.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:41 PM

11 posts, read 60,343 times
It's a bit more complex than the classic Red-Blue mentality. I can't speak for the Delta as a whole, but when I lived in Rolling Fork, it did expose me to both the good and bad elements the Delta has to offer. You would be right that it is an area rich with promise, culture, and potential; but unfortunately, the three scourges of: nepotism, apathy, and complacency have always extinguished the faint embers of progression in this area. Most folks I met were content with what, who, and where they are in the Delta, and express their culture as such in their music, art, and food. A complete paradigm shift in the culture of the folks in the Delta would have to occur before you could even begin to broach the idea of new economic investments in this area - beyond manufacturing, food processing plants, agricultural (seasonal work), or service industries.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
The Delta is from Memphis to Vicksburg, and part of Arkansas and Louisiana.
I grew up on the Arkansas side.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Far too many generalizations.

Technically, it's not a "delta", which is a location where a river spreads and branches at its mouth. It IS the portion of the Mississippi River's historical flood plain within the state of Mississippi. Other portions of the flood plain lie in neighboring Arkansas and Louisiana, but it's only referred to as the "delta" in Mississippi.

Geographically it's a pointed-oval shape. It does all lie west of I-55, but it's not the entire region west of I-55. The northern point is at Memphis, the southern point is at Vicksburg (mouth of the Yazoo River), and the widest section is about 65 miles wide (from east of Greenwood to the River. The total flood plain is about 85 miles wide at this point, but part of that is in Arkansas. There's a pretty good graphic HERE. Go to maps.google.com with the satellite view on to see the entire flood plain.

Historically it's a farming area with rich black soil. There are extensive levee and reservoir systems to protect from flooding, so it's a flood plain only in the historic sense. Flooding does occasionally occur during extreme events, but not the entire region at once.

It's a poor area for many reasons. Devastation during and after the Civil War, economic theft during Reconstruction, the utter destruction to the cotton-growing sharecroppers caused by the boll weevil infestations, discrimination on minority sharecroppers during the Jim Crow era, and finally most minorities with any ambition moved away during the Great Migration.

A very large percentage of Delta residents are on government assistance, and they tend to vote Democrat. A red/blue breakdown of historic voting shows the counties in and around the Delta (including Southhaven/South Memphis), Jackson, Columbus, and Meridian to be blue, while the rest of the state is red.
Just follow Highway 82 from Greenwood. It will cross the river just south of Greenville and go through Chicot county in Arkansas. That county is entirely in the delta area. As 82 goes west, it hits hilly forest land about 20 miles into Ashley county.

Last spring there were some sand boils Sand boil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in Chicot county but no flooding to speak of.

The Great Migration never ended. Out of a class of almost 90 people, I think over 80 of us (both black and white) moved out of town. The few people that stayed and were successful over the last 20 years, their kids have left. There is NOTHING left in southeast Arkansas for anyone.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:59 AM

398 posts, read 545,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taku_1122 View Post
It's a bit more complex than the classic Red-Blue mentality. I can't speak for the Delta as a whole, but when I lived in Rolling Fork, it did expose me to both the good and bad elements the Delta has to offer. You would be right that it is an area rich with promise, culture, and potential; but unfortunately, the three scourges of: nepotism, apathy, and complacency have always extinguished the faint embers of progression in this area. Most folks I met were content with what, who, and where they are in the Delta, and express their culture as such in their music, art, and food. A complete paradigm shift in the culture of the folks in the Delta would have to occur before you could even begin to broach the idea of new economic investments in this area - beyond manufacturing, food processing plants, agricultural (seasonal work), or service industries.
Many place around the World that reflect the sort of culture you are describing seem to respond well to micro-economics. Its sounds weird to write it about places in the US, but the fact is that tiny business loans of only a few hundred dollars are sometimes enough to help someone start a family business. In places like Nigeria and Bangladesh such businesses might be something as little as purchasing a few extra goats to produce and sell/barter milk to neighbors. Sometimes its a matter of buying a treddle sewing machine so that inexpensive clothing can be made. I see nothing wrong with people wanting to keep things laid-back and quiet. But maybe small family businesses might at least give folks a choice of how far and fast they care to change when they finally get the urge.

FWIW.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
Many place around the World that reflect the sort of culture you are describing seem to respond well to micro-economics. Its sounds weird to write it about places in the US, but the fact is that tiny business loans of only a few hundred dollars are sometimes enough to help someone start a family business. In places like Nigeria and Bangladesh such businesses might be something as little as purchasing a few extra goats to produce and sell/barter milk to neighbors. Sometimes its a matter of buying a treddle sewing machine so that inexpensive clothing can be made. I see nothing wrong with people wanting to keep things laid-back and quiet. But maybe small family businesses might at least give folks a choice of how far and fast they care to change when they finally get the urge.
The success of micro-economics is amazing in many countries. Unfortunately, there are two problems with using micro-economics to "fix" poor regions in the US.

First, micro-loans only work if the people you are trying to help are both ambitious and honest. They must WANT to improve their lot in life, and they must be willing to honor the loan agreement in order to work to pay it back. That system just doesn't work if the majority of recipients would gladly default on the loan without hesitation.

Second, and this ties into the first, is the reality that the US is a massive country with opportunity everywhere. Why would someone try to scratch out a living by trying to barter with poor neighbors more poor than they are when they can just go somewhere else? US citizens aren't restricted by clan ties, borders, or checkpoints. This is why the great migration occurred. People with intelligence and ambition looked around, saw that all their neighbors from babies to grandfathers were dirt poor, and realized that unless they got out their fate would be the same. So they left. I'm not saying that EVERY person with intelligence and ambition left the Delta, but a very large percentage did.

I wouldn't say what's occurring now is still a part of the Great Migration where millions and millions of minorities left the south. However, I do agree with Robert_J that many people are still leaving. I'm a good example. I got an education (thank you Mr. and Mrs. Sumner!) and got out of Mississippi, but I'm still in the south. Just in a location with better opportunities.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:49 PM

398 posts, read 545,368 times
Quote:
The success of micro-economics is amazing in many countries. Unfortunately, there are two problems with using micro-economics to "fix" poor regions in the US.

First, micro-loans only work if the people you are trying to help are both ambitious and honest. They must WANT to improve their lot in life, and they must be willing to honor the loan agreement in order to work to pay it back. That system just doesn't work if the majority of recipients would gladly default on the loan without hesitation.

Second, and this ties into the first, is the reality that the US is a massive country with opportunity everywhere. Why would someone try to scratch out a living by trying to barter with poor neighbors more poor than they are when they can just go somewhere else? US citizens aren't restricted by clan ties, borders, or checkpoints. This is why the great migration occurred. People with intelligence and ambition looked around, saw that all their neighbors from babies to grandfathers were dirt poor, and realized that unless they got out their fate would be the same. So they left. I'm not saying that EVERY person with intelligence and ambition left the Delta, but a very large percentage did.

I wouldn't say what's occurring now is still a part of the Great Migration where millions and millions of minorities left the south. However, I do agree with Robert_J that many people are still leaving. I'm a good example. I got an education (thank you Mr. and Mrs. Sumner!) and got out of Mississippi, but I'm still in the south. Just in a location with better opportunities.
Many thanks..... just to dovetail on that last part......

Though I am relatively new to the area, one of the first things I started to do when I arrived was to begin to cast about for resources in the Educational field. Its not that I wanted to go forward and get a PhD, but rather that I wanted to enhance what I do with some additional schooling or, just find an environment where I could rub shoulders with people in my field. I am stunned at how little there is in the southern Miss. area! Certainly there are programs where a person can select a "degree package" and graduate with a piece of paper that authorizes them to apply for a particular area or level of employment. But when it comes to simply wanting hang with like-minded intellectuals, I am truly surprised at how little there is.

Currently, I have wstarted to check into on-line options..... and even there the pickings are thin. Thoughts?

FWIW.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:41 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I grew up on the Arkansas side.
That's really cool!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Quote:

Excellent points! And really why should people NOT leave certain areas and move to others? The Delta is for farming. People not farming are basically just in the way. Considering that there are more pleasant climates, and places far more thrilling and healthy to inhabit (the agricultural chemicals in the Delta are a huge reason people decide to live elsewhere), why should they not move to greener pastures? Honestly, it's a win-win proposition: the land stays open and uncluttered for the large-scale farming prevalent there, and people get to live in better places.

As for Micro Loans.... do people in the outside world think the Delta is so poor a micro-loan would make a difference? I mean, do they think people are running around without shoes? Living in grass huts? Using cow dung for fuel when they cook? One month's welfare check, even in Mississippi, would dwarf a micro-loan.

There are Small Business Loans, which are on a scale practical for becoming self-supporting in America: but I hear those mostly go to foreigners. Minorities, however, do get those loans, on occasion, and do open up fast food franchises and small shops, using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi