Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:52 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
Oh ok, I've only been through Meridian like twice!
Well, I realize I don't have the most informed opinion. Just what I saw from I-20 and what I have read about the city, not a whole lot. Driving through Meridian, it isn't that impressive either, I-20 is where most of the businesses are, downtown is a rather dreary place but undergoing some much needed renovations. I would be curious to see downtown Vicksburg. I know it had a larger role int he Civil War. However, I believe it, along with Jackson and Meridian were all burned to the ground. I know they nicknamed Jackson "Chimney Ville" afterwards, since it was only the chimneys of the houses that were left standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well, I realize I don't have the most informed opinion. Just what I saw from I-20 and what I have read about the city, not a whole lot. Driving through Meridian, it isn't that impressive either, I-20 is where most of the businesses are, downtown is a rather dreary place but undergoing some much needed renovations. I would be curious to see downtown Vicksburg. I know it had a larger role int he Civil War. However, I believe it, along with Jackson and Meridian were all burned to the ground. I know they nicknamed Jackson "Chimney Ville" afterwards, since it was only the chimneys of the houses that were left standing.
Vicksburg downtown looks nice!

Old 04-03-2014, 03:47 AM

110 posts, read 165,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Technically, Yazoo City is not in the Delta, it's in the hills which are on the fringes of the Delta. I see you talking up Yazoo City every chance you get, this has to be at least the third or fourth thread I've caught you talking about that place, very rare for someone from England to comment on I would think, you must have been really fascinated and moved by that place.

What did the locals think of your accent? I know as a northerner in the American south my accent stand outs, I know a British accent would stand out even more. How were the locals? In my area of Mississippi it's hit or miss, some people are downright rude and lazy, others are the sweet, charming, and talkative southerners you always hear about.
Interestingly the accent I have is from Essex and not Lancashire, which means it is very southern, and we do talk in a similar way - once, on an accent training day (I'm an actor) I could not do 'standard' American at all - kept falling into southern states and the tutor said that with my natural accent that was inevitable. We understood each other just fine. Everyone was very friendly, and that applied to all demographics within the town - including the occasional town drunk hanging out at the railroad station while I was waiting on the train, but they were harmless enough.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
Oh ok! How far were you from Pine Bluff?
About 60 miles. I grew up in Dermott.

Greenville was the place to go to see movies and then get ice cream from Baskin Robins when I was young. Once I hit driving age, that was the date destination. Dinner at Pasquale's and a movie. My girlfriend (now wife) introduced me to really good Italian food at Fermo's.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Yazoo City's eastern side is like most of east Mississippi, essentially the bluffs. The western side is very much like the delta. Flat as hell and you can see for miles. Just depends on which part you go to. But technically ColdAliment is correct, the delta doesn't start until you get out of the city for about 10 miles or so.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
About 60 miles. I grew up in Dermott.

Greenville was the place to go to see movies and then get ice cream from Baskin Robins when I was young. Once I hit driving age, that was the date destination. Dinner at Pasquale's and a movie. My girlfriend (now wife) introduced me to really good Italian food at Fermo's.
Oh Dermott, oh ok, you naming some of the favs lol good good food.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,059 times
The Delta is flat land, I've learned that in school. Tchula is in the flat land area but Lexington is in the hills area which make half of Holmes County The Delta. Lexington is not located in the delta but it is near The Delta.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keys_boy View Post
The Delta is flat land, I've learned that in school. Tchula is in the flat land area but Lexington is in the hills area which make half of Holmes County The Delta. Lexington is not located in the delta but it is near The Delta.
You are obviously a lad who pays attention in school.
You will go far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi