Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,781,407 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to move an associate into the NE corner of the Jackson Metro. Don't know the place like I used to. Usually, the dismal apartment situation keeps people away (these folks can plop down .4 for a Madison McMansion, so that's not a prob, this time...). This time, though, the couple are not crazy about the gyms they've tried out, and so are angling for something I've got going in Omaha. But I need them in Mississippi.

So far, they've nixed The Courthouse, because the Madison branch is too small and the music is too loud...and too old. The big Lakeland 'mother ship' is "Ideal, except there are all these machines spritzing air freshener, which as you know is a health hazard. We had to leave, and my sinuses are still puffy from breathing that junk. Those clothes we were wearing in there still smell like we were brothel-hopping in Tijuana."

The new luxe branch of 'The Club', at The Township, they won't even visit, because the attached Tennis Club has one of those mosquito misting systems. "Like there isn't enough poison around here anyway, with those trucks spraying poison all over the place?"

So, are there any big gyms around, that I haven't heard about? Something like the Lakeland Courthouse, back in the good old 'Chuck Days'? Someplace big enough that you don't feel like you're in a fishbowl? Where if there is loudness in one area, you can move to another set of machines in another room? Full complement of Wet Area amenities? Maybe with new music, or, even better, NO MUSIC? No 'deodorizer' machines spewing toxic smellystuff?

They will buy near the gym of their choice....anywhere from Madison to Brandon, and even in what's left of FNEJ. I had no problem moving someone into Tupelo, mainly because of the spectacular three-storey fitness complex there. A viable gym is a huge incentive, when you're trying to attract top-level talent.

Here's your chance to extoll the virtues of your favorite fitness haunt. Suggestions, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Golly gee, guys! It must be even worse than I thought. Noplace worth mentioning? Planet Fitness is going to do seriously well when it opens in Ridgeland, next month.

One cop emailed me to say that the offending air freshener comes in two 'flavors'. One flavor is "like breathing Truck Stop Soap". The other flavor is "like if you dumped cigarette ashes, bubblegum, grape drank, and urinal cakes into a blender, and made a Smoothie, then threw it into the air vents".

A fireman/paramedic wrote to say that his gym now smells like "....most of the Section Eight apartments we respond to. They all have those plug-in stink machines." You guys know you can comment here on the thread, though: right?

What a surprise! Menfolk don't like places that smell like pretty plastic flowers! Who'dathunkit?
Thanks, boys! Actually, I did already know that. On the other hand, 400 lb. Mindy/Mandy/Meggin/Heather types LOVE artificial fragrances, and have no clue that the enzymes and hormone mimics in their laundry detergents and air fresheners are a big part of their weight problem and depression.

But there are other issues, and I want to know! Time's running out! My associates are just about finished with their analysis of the local market, and will be heading out, soon. Nothing in Brandon worth looking into? St. Dom hasn't built anything wonderful, yet?

Goal-oriented people tend to fill their lives with work and gym: that is particularly true of those moving to a new place. It really helps me sell the area, to find gyms where people can spend hours, without having their lungs filled with toxins, and their brains addled by 'Good Time Oldies'.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM

35 posts, read 118,155 times
The Clinton Healthplex is most likey not in the area they would like to live but you should still give them a tour. They may change their minds about living there. Interstate is close by and the could very well find a nice apartment there.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORPHEUS311 View Post
The Clinton Healthplex is most likey not in the area they would like to live but you should still give them a tour. They may change their minds about living there. Interstate is close by and the could very well find a nice apartment there.
Thanks for that recommendation! I'd told them about it, but your post persuaded them to give the place a try. That was the last thing they did before heading for the airport. Both were impressed! Breathable air, beautiful building, great amenities, WELL-BEHAVED CLIENTELE...

Too soon to tell if they will be moving to to Mississippi. But if they do, Clinton may be where they'll buy a home. .4 million should go a long way, on that side of town.

Thanks again!

Oh! And the possibility of accessing the NE corner of the metro via the Trace...bypassing Jackson...makes Clinton highly attractive. Have they finished with that Trace detour, yet?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,168,385 times
They have not finished with it, but I believe it is supposed to open in the next couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi