Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM

398 posts, read 544,005 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks:

I noticed an interesting trend in the Gulf Coast area that maybe someone could help me with. It has to do with the nature of the firepower that is for sale.

The Sunday newspapers have the expected sort of sales flyers and the Sports Stores have their material in there as well. The difference is how much stuff there is for the "hunter". Now I put Hunter in quotes because once a person starts reading the ads a reasonable and prudent guy might begin to wonder if what is being "hunted" is hunkered-down in a sandbag bunker behind barb-wire!!

For about $400 I can get a pretty nice 5mm or 7.62 semi-auto with skeletonized stock and 30-round clips. And don't me started about the night-scopes, war paint and cammie clothing. Unless these guys are going hunting in downtown Mogadishu will someone please tell me what they are going after that requires tuning-up like Sgt Rock?

Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 PM

7,471 posts, read 6,215,133 times
Its very possible they just like guns. Some folks like 500 hp cars that will go 180 mph. As long as its legal, its not a problem.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 PM

30 posts, read 52,524 times
Default Sorry for Butting In...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
Hi Folks:

For about $400 I can get a pretty nice 5mm or 7.62 semi-auto with skeletonized stock and 30-round clips. And don't me started about the night-scopes, war paint and cammie clothing. Unless these guys are going hunting in downtown Mogadishu will someone please tell me what they are going after that requires tuning-up like Sgt Rock?
Sorry for butting in here as I am defiitely no "hunter." but I don't see any need for a civilian to own a smi-automatic weapon or 30-round clip. I do believe in the right to bear arms but these types of guns are not typically used for any good purpose here in the US.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,177,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Intrigued View Post
Sorry for butting in here as I am defiitely no "hunter." but I don't see any need for a civilian to own a smi-automatic weapon or 30-round clip. I do believe in the right to bear arms but these types of guns are not typically used for any good purpose here in the US.
You say you don't see a need for semi, or a thirty round clip yet you believe in the right to bear arms?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,575,029 times
A semi-automatic gun in the hands of law abiding citizens is nothing to worry about... it's when they are put in the hands of criminals is when you need to worry. All the gun control in the world is not gonna keep criminals from getting guns on the black market. Just my view, and i'm sure many won't see it that way... but that's ok.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,575,029 times
Another thing to note, many hunting rifles are semi-automatic. All this means is the rifle itself does all the preparation to fire again instead of the user having to empty the spent shell and re-**** the gun.

There are an estimated 39% to 55% of households in the United States owning at least one gun. There are an estimated 260-280 million guns in those households. The instances of law abiding citizens using those guns to kill another human being, other than for protection, are very rare. When it happens you will hear it on the news because it furthers an agenda.

When criminals buy guns from the black market or other sources it is for the purpose of committing crimes. Gun control will not stop this, it will only take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens who keep them for protection or hunting. When a criminal knows he will encounter no deadly opposition from breaking and entering your home, it will become much more common.

My opinions of course.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Another thing to note, many hunting rifles are semi-automatic. All this means is the rifle itself does all the preparation to fire again instead of the user having to empty the spent shell and re-**** the gun.

There are an estimated 39% to 55% of households in the United States owning at least one gun. There are an estimated 260-280 million guns in those households. The instances of law abiding citizens using those guns to kill another human being, other than for protection, are very rare. When it happens you will hear it on the news because it furthers an agenda.

When criminals buy guns from the black market or other sources it is for the purpose of committing crimes. Gun control will not stop this, it will only take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens who keep them for protection or hunting. When a criminal knows he will encounter no deadly opposition from breaking and entering your home, it will become much more common.

My opinions of course.
I do believe the red word is the key.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM

159 posts, read 262,921 times
Guns are good in good hands

Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM

398 posts, read 544,005 times
Ooooopppsss.....didn't mean to open a can of worms. Just for the record i'm a gun owner myself. I have a revolver and a souvenir I brought back from Overseas. I've killed a lot of paper with the revolver. The SKS hasn't had more than 4 rounds through it since it was liberated in 1971. The point being that its not owning a gun that caught my eye. What caught my eye is what a person is going to do with that sort of weapon.

For instance, I was visiting a gun shop the other day and watched a video for a Mossberg semi-auto 12-gauge that could empty two 10 round clips in 11 seconds--which included the magazine switch!!

Do folks in this state have a Cape Buffalo problem I don't know about?

FWIW.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
For instance, I was visiting a gun shop the other day and watched a video for a Mossberg semi-auto 12-gauge that could empty two 10 round clips in 11 seconds--which included the magazine switch!!

Do folks in this state have a Cape Buffalo problem I don't know about?

FWIW.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. 7 Grasso Ave. North Haven, CT 06473
Surely, they must sell their products to more states than just Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: