U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 AM

3 posts, read 17,942 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Mississippi in a couple months from Alberta, the weather change I know will be alot different, I love the heat and hate the cold so that isn't really an issue too much for me. I was wondering the best place to live for my family in Mississippi, best schools, best towns. I have a 6 years son grade 1, 15 year old daughter grade 10 and 18 year old son...graduated.

We like the idea of small town feel but not too small neither, like to have almost everything there. Coming from Alberta, cost of living is really expensive and moving from here to there is gonna be a shocker, in a good way, I seen homes for rent and I like what I see. I am only looking to rent a 3 bedroom house in a good location.

Can you give me some towns that you consider a nice place to live with good schools? lots of shops? newer houses to rent? maybe not more then 20 miles from the beach? and good people?

Thanks
Denise
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,424,595 times
Welcome to Mississippi. I had a few towns and cities in mind until I read that you would like to be no more than 20 miles from the beach. That will limit you to the Mississippi coast obviously. The best cities on the coast to live in are, in my opinion Ocean Springs, Bay St. Louis, Waveland, or Pass Christian, however, my knowledge of this area is pre-Katrina mostly so maybe someone else can add some info.

Mississippi beaches are nice enough, but the water is calm and darker due to the barrier islands and the Mississippi river emptying into the gulf. I have heard that it's better than it used to be since Katrina, but I don't really know for sure.

Sorry about my limited knowledge of the coast. I live in North Mississippi and we usually visit the coast about once or twice a year, however, we have only been once since Katrina.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 AM

398 posts, read 512,666 times
Agreed..... If you read some of the other threads, Denise, you will get a pretty wide range of opinions about towns across Mississippi. However, as JHADORN has said, by wanting to be close to the Gulf Coast you have pared your choices down significantly.

I really liked my first taste of Ocean Springs and it seems to get a lot of good reviews from others as well. Of course, as I write this Hurricane season is over for this year. I may feel very different come the Summer next year. :-) I will also add that you have not said much about your personal needs as far as Entertainment, Intellectual Stimulation, Shopping, Community Involvement and such and I've found this is going to vary a LOT as you move from one place to another along the coast. Want to give a bit more information about what you are looking for?

FWIW.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 17,942 times
Oh yes sorry, we're a young family or young at heart so we like getting out, enjoying the outdoors, sports, music. My son plays hockey, so not sure if they're even big hockey fans there, guessing not lol, my daughter plays guitar and loves music and we love the beach.
My oldest son will be working off shore on the oil rigs along with husband so that is why we would wanna live close to New Orleans with out living too close because thats where they'll be getting off the helicopter, my friend that lives there told me it might be too big for what I'm looking for, I agree. My daughter is looking for stores like Abercrombie, Holister...etc. a big mall not too far be nice.
I am scared of my son getting bullied so a really good school for him is important to me, a good highschool for my daughter is a big concern too, she hates the idea of moving so I would want her to feel welcome right away, she does Native dance, we're first nations from Canada so our culture is important to us, do you know of any first nation down there, or they will call themself...treaty/tribes maybe? I would love to see his other first nation.
I would like a home to rent for now until we get to know the area and figure out where we wanna live, any good places to rent, that are good in neighbourhoods...close to good schools. My main goal is to make sure my children are safe and happy.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,424,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisemjulian View Post
Oh yes sorry, we're a young family or young at heart so we like getting out, enjoying the outdoors, sports, music. My son plays hockey, so not sure if they're even big hockey fans there, guessing not lol, my daughter plays guitar and loves music and we love the beach.
My oldest son will be working off shore on the oil rigs along with husband so that is why we would wanna live close to New Orleans with out living too close because thats where they'll be getting off the helicopter, my friend that lives there told me it might be too big for what I'm looking for, I agree. My daughter is looking for stores like Abercrombie, Holister...etc. a big mall not too far be nice.
I am scared of my son getting bullied so a really good school for him is important to me, a good highschool for my daughter is a big concern too, she hates the idea of moving so I would want her to feel welcome right away, she does Native dance, we're first nations from Canada so our culture is important to us, do you know of any first nation down there, or they will call themself...treaty/tribes maybe? I would love to see his other first nation.
I would like a home to rent for now until we get to know the area and figure out where we wanna live, any good places to rent, that are good in neighbourhoods...close to good schools. My main goal is to make sure my children are safe and happy.
I think you would like the coast. There are usually concerts and music festivals, there is a SPHL Hockey team, beaches and other outdoor activities, and a mall with an Abercombie and Fitch, Aeropostle, etc.

For Native dance, I would get in touch with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians and see if they have festivals to participate in. It may differ from your own culture, but I don't think First Nations has a presence in Mississippi.

I have listed some links that may be helpful.

http://mississippisurge.pointstreaks...ssissippisurge
Welcome to Edgewater Mall
Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians

Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM

11 posts, read 27,283 times
Ocean springs is a good place to look.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 PM

7,007 posts, read 11,095,697 times
Meridian!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 AM

3,529 posts, read 5,106,197 times
Frankly, if my DH were working offshore below New Orleans, I'd move to St. Tammany Parish.

Lots of people around there are aware of their Native American ancestry (especially in Lacombe). The Acadians, in the parishes to the West, are actually descended from Canadian tribes (and Bretons... and more...), so your folkways might be quite interesting to them.

St. Tammany is rather affluent, very low-crime, and the people are really kind and nice. It's an hour from the crime of New Orleans (via the world's longest bridge, across one of the world's largest lakes). Join Franco's Health Club, and the kids will have access to an incredible pool, etc.

DH and I are Indians (with 'Mediterranean White' admixture), and felt very comfortable in South Louisiana. Upper Crust Mississippians were very nice to us. But retail/restaurant staff were not, for the most part. I don't think they knew what to do with someone not on the black-to-white-continuum. We preferred to shop and play in Louisiana, because there we looked like, and were treated like, locals.

Aside from St. Tammany, there's Acadiana, where the Cajuns (Acadians) are. Lafayette ('The Cajun Capitol') is a dream of a town. Join Red's Gym, and the kids, again, will have access to a great pool, and all manner of fitness options. Acadians are very aware and proud of their heritage (going back to the very early days of Canada, and beyond). Acadians, like most Quebecois, have a First Nations component in their heritage. And once their ancestors made it to Louisiana's swamps, they intermarried with local tribes. That definitely describes my DH's mom's family. If I were you, I'd get on the Louisiana/Acadiana/Lafayette threads, here at CityData, and ask around.

Then, there are the extreme South Louisiana towns like Houma and Thibodeaux. Yes, there is the danger of hurricanes: but on the plus side, you'll be able to grow things people in the rest of North America can only dream of: citrus, Sugar Cane, terrestrial orchids.... The little towns down there are really neat. Lots of mom & pop hot dog stands, burger places, sno cone stands....where families with kids can kind of hang out. People are friendly, and the pace of life is pretty wonderful.

And unlike Mississippians, South Louisianans are not baffled by 'odd' accents. The nuns taught lots of people Standard English, down there, and so they're not offended, if you pronounce the 't' in 'cat'. I think you'll become part of whatever community you choose far quicker in (South) Louisiana, than in Mississippi.

Choose Mandeville or Lafayette, if you want to have access to the best of everything (both places have a lot of wealth). Choose a tiny town down there, if you want an olive-skinned version of Mayberry.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM

10,062 posts, read 11,620,537 times
The best place in Mississippi is wherever you are the happiest!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

749 posts, read 1,719,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Frankly, if my DH were working offshore below New Orleans, I'd move to St. Tammany Parish.

Lots of people around there are aware of their Native American ancestry (especially in Lacombe). The Acadians, in the parishes to the West, are actually descended from Canadian tribes (and Bretons... and more...), so your folkways might be quite interesting to them.

St. Tammany is rather affluent, very low-crime, and the people are really kind and nice. It's an hour from the crime of New Orleans (via the world's longest bridge, across one of the world's largest lakes). Join Franco's Health Club, and the kids will have access to an incredible pool, etc.

DH and I are Indians (with 'Mediterranean White' admixture), and felt very comfortable in South Louisiana. Upper Crust Mississippians were very nice to us. But retail/restaurant staff were not, for the most part. I don't think they knew what to do with someone not on the black-to-white-continuum. We preferred to shop and play in Louisiana, because there we looked like, and were treated like, locals.

Aside from St. Tammany, there's Acadiana, where the Cajuns (Acadians) are. Lafayette ('The Cajun Capitol') is a dream of a town. Join Red's Gym, and the kids, again, will have access to a great pool, and all manner of fitness options. Acadians are very aware and proud of their heritage (going back to the very early days of Canada, and beyond). Acadians, like most Quebecois, have a First Nations component in their heritage. And once their ancestors made it to Louisiana's swamps, they intermarried with local tribes. That definitely describes my DH's mom's family. If I were you, I'd get on the Louisiana/Acadiana/Lafayette threads, here at CityData, and ask around.

Then, there are the extreme South Louisiana towns like Houma and Thibodeaux. Yes, there is the danger of hurricanes: but on the plus side, you'll be able to grow things people in the rest of North America can only dream of: citrus, Sugar Cane, terrestrial orchids.... The little towns down there are really neat. Lots of mom & pop hot dog stands, burger places, sno cone stands....where families with kids can kind of hang out. People are friendly, and the pace of life is pretty wonderful.

And unlike Mississippians, South Louisianans are not baffled by 'odd' accents. The nuns taught lots of people Standard English, down there, and so they're not offended, if you pronounce the 't' in 'cat'. I think you'll become part of whatever community you choose far quicker in (South) Louisiana, than in Mississippi.

Choose Mandeville or Lafayette, if you want to have access to the best of everything (both places have a lot of wealth). Choose a tiny town down there, if you want an olive-skinned version of Mayberry.
This is such a great post! I lived in Louisiana for many, many years. I agree with you 100% I wish I could rep you 100 times for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi