Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
With the stories I've heard about African Americans facing in just the past 20 years in southern states, I too would pass caution, especially to an out of state African American man. At least a locally grown African American man would be more prepared and used to adversity they may face in the deep south, but California is like a whole separate world when stacked next to Mississippi. Memphis is a deep south city also, but at least it's a large and decently diverse city, it's very different from small town Mississippi. I daresay Oxford may be one of the safer smaller towns in Mississippi however.
From your post I take it that you have a somewhat high opinion of California, however, there were 2 things that happened in California within the last month. A synagogue shooting and a woman posting Nazi propaganda in schools. Should certain people feel unsafe in California or is this the work of a couple crazies in a state of 40 million people, and not indicative of the feelings of 99.9% of the population?

If it's just a couple crazies then why are we holding the South to a different standard? Truth is the media sensationalizes these events and makes it look as if these few people represent the majority. They don't.

Is it bad, yes. Should it ever happen, no. We don't live in a perfect world though. Some people are hateful, crazy, or something else, but those people exist everywhere.

Also, Memphis is not that diverse. It is 63.3% black, 29.4% white, and around 7% other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 12:33 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
With the stories I've heard about African Americans facing in just the past 20 years in southern states, I too would pass caution, especially to an out of state African American man. At least a locally grown African American man would be more prepared and used to adversity they may face in the deep south, but California is like a whole separate world when stacked next to Mississippi. Memphis is a deep south city also, but at least it's a large and decently diverse city, it's very different from small town Mississippi. I daresay Oxford may be one of the safer smaller towns in Mississippi however.
People will always hear horror stories about being black in Mississippi despite rarely or haven't visit it. It's the blackest state in the country, there's plenty of safe places for a black person. At times i laugh at these gossip, other times I'm completely baffled.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:40 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
People will always hear horror stories about being black in Mississippi despite rarely or haven't visit it. It's the blackest state in the country, there's plenty of safe places for a black person. At times i laugh at these gossip, other times I'm completely baffled.
https://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/us/mi...ing/index.html

I'll just leave this right here.

I lived in Mississippi for over 4 years by the way.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times
Quote:

If you are black in MS (or anywhere), your chances of getting killed by another black person are much higher than getting killed by a white person. Personally, I think most violent crimes are hate crimes.

https://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/...gs-graphic.png

Last edited by viverlibre; 06-02-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:

I'm very aware of that past incident and the culprit is serving life in prison. Now show me a state where those type of incidents doesn't happen to a black person.

I've lived here all my life btw.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
If you are black in MS (or anywhere), your chances of getting killed by another black person are much higher than getting killed by a white person. Personally, I think most violent crimes are hate crimes.

https://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/...gs-graphic.png
The same vice versa goes for a white person. I disagree with your personal view on violent crimes & hate crimes.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The same vice versa goes for a white person. I disagree with your personal view on violent crimes & hate crimes.
No doubt, a person is much more likely to be killed by someone of the same race; however, many more white people are killed by black people, than the reverse.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
No doubt, a person is much more likely to be killed by someone of the same race; in regards, many more white people are killed by white people, than by other ethnic groups.
I corrected you since there's too much ignorance on display in these forums to overlook the obvious.

Last edited by Sharif662; 06-02-2019 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: .

Old 06-02-2019, 10:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
I have visited Mississippi all my life I love it and it’s people
It’s where our cops and soldiers come from -they do the work the rest refuse to do
I am so in their corner

Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I corrected you since there's too much ignorance on display in these forums to overlook the obvious.
"The reverse" in my statement means that black people kill white people more than white people kill black people (at an almost two to one rate). That does not even take into effect the percent of population.

Hopefully, you understand this and agree.

Maybe this chart will help you understand:
https://www.theatlas.com/charts/4yj9OKoQg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi