Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 AM

25,361 posts, read 17,015,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbw1011 View Post
You have a right to that opinion however closed-minded it sounds. These lists do not just arbitrarily pick what the best states will be. They are based on various quality-of-life factors which Mississippi (and the deep south in general) ranks rather poorly in. Just to name a few: Education levels, obesity, poverty. Ms is the least educated state, the most obese state, and the poorest state. Also, the most religious, which may or may not be a plus. The fact is, a northeastern state ranks much higher for all of these things. If you can't understand why Mississippi is being ranked last, then you are deliberately ignorant. These lists aren't saying the people aren't nice--it has nothing to do with that--they're just going by statistics.
To someone who needs to make 150,000 to live comfortably in New York State, our Mississippi salaries would seem pitiful.
For example: We live in a nice neighborhood, in a 3-2-2 that is about 20 years old. It is paid for, but could be purchased for around 200K. Our taxes, though, are 900$ per year, so that's our cost of housing.
And the educational levels for the state are skewed by the extreme levels of ignorance in the delta counties and some other pockets of poor performance. If the delta counties were removed from the equation the state would look very different. But people who are not completely familiar with Mississippi would not know that. People who are familiar with Mississippi do not move to those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,916,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
To someone who needs to make 150,000 to live comfortably in New York State, our Mississippi salaries would seem pitiful.
For example: We live in a nice neighborhood, in a 3-2-2 that is about 20 years old. It is paid for, but could be purchased for around 200K. Our taxes, though, are 900$ per year, so that's our cost of housing.
And the educational levels for the state are skewed by the extreme levels of ignorance in the delta counties and some other pockets of poor performance. If the delta counties were removed from the equation the state would look very different. But people who are not completely familiar with Mississippi would not know that. People who are familiar with Mississippi do not move to those areas.
wOW! THE cost of living there is low. What is the minimum wage there?
Here it is $15.00 per hour.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I have no idea. Whatever it is, you can't live off it. People shouldn't try - not anywhere. There is always opportunity for well spoken, polite people who want to work.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I have no idea. Whatever it is, you can't live off it. People shouldn't try - not anywhere. There is always opportunity for well spoken, polite people who want to work.
Here it's the same even at 15 per hour. Cost of living is at an all time high here compared to the rest of the nation.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:56 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,571,426 times
Quote:
Minimum wage in Mississippi is $7.25 per hour.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:00 AM

2,613 posts, read 2,049,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
You are not understanding what per capita statistics are.

The total number (in this case, white murders by white people) does not mean much, because whites are about 65% of the country. Thus, even if blacks commit a higher per capita rate of murder, the total number will likely still fall below the white number because blacks are 13% of the country. Due to this, the total number is VERY misleading.
I have a firm understanding of stastics and been heavily reading these type for the last couple of years.

You're responding for a different reason, I'm waiting on their response to their specific agenda.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Here it's the same even at 15 per hour. Cost of living is at an all time high here compared to the rest of the nation.
Yeah, I just noticed where you live.

I retired in place in 2010. If I had been living in San Francisco things would have looked very different. As it is now, I can go visit San Francisco - and then get back home to tend my vegetables, flower garden and water garden.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:07 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,571,426 times
My wife and I have a vacation in the planning stages for California. Most likely in October. Tentatively we will fly into San Francisco, see Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, and other sites. Next drive Highway 1 to San Diego and see the sites along the way. Suggestions are welcome. We haven't sorted it all out yet.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 AM

2,613 posts, read 2,049,800 times
Quote:
I think we should continue to invest in the delta and stop the "cut it off" narrative. It wouldn't move the state up these "rankings" by a large margin. Now if all the people in the majority rural conties would move to the majority urban counties then that could be a large margin. I'm just saying that it's people that do relocate their for retirement & even work.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You wouldn't want to stay here long. Things have taken a giant turn for the worse h ere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi