Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,755,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
There is a certain something in your phrasing which offers a clue as to why the rest of Georgia wishes Atlanta could be extracted from the state, like the giant malignant tumor it has become.

In addition to Honey Boo Boo, Georgia spawned Paula Deen, the Queen of White Trash Cuisine. I mean, if you want to end up looking like Honey Boo Boo's Momma, just use Paula's pre-dibeeedus recipes (since her diagnosis, she's using her illness as a reason to go after a wider market).

But frankly, I'd rather live in the same town with Honey Boo Boo or Paula Deen, than near the typical resident of Atlanta. Apparently, the majority of former Atlantans would agree, since they choose to commute considerable distances, in order to locate their homes and families among the 'backwood' folk.

If Atlanta were a separate district, Atlanta tags could alert police in refuge exurbs to heightened danger of home invasions and robberies. And the cancer could be contained. Among other things, Atlanta could not extend its public transportation tentacles farther into the countryside, in order to destroy formerly nice counties. Also, the proposed 'regional' approach to government and schools being proposed in the other giant malignant tumor (Washington, D.C.) would not be as effective a tool for deliberately destroying every single remaining decent public school within a hundred miles of the Atlanta Tumor.
I am from the rest of Georgia.I like it(some of it) but I love(not all of it) Atlanta. Im just gonna make this quick to the point. Everyone does not have the same reality.What you call a formerly nice county free from the crime of Atlanta are the same nice counties that not even 30 years ago still treating blacks as second class citizens.Low education worse than poor countries with the poverty and crime to match.
Well as they say birds of a feather flock together.Since I now live in the city Im not sure what that makes me but better educated,not impoverished,less bigoted, more opened-minded and in better health.Danger?Maybe but danger I can handle more than dangerous closed minded people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM

40 posts, read 70,627 times
Default Not defensive. Offended by ignorance.

Wardenresden, doesn't the ignorance spilling out from that individual offend you at all? Surprised by SE Asians and Italians? Gasp! What's next, Jews? Inter-racial marriages? New Yorkers need to learn that bigger isn't necessarily better, and we really mean it when we say we don't care how you do it up north. I'm not defensive; I acknowledge that we have a long way to go. I'm totally offended by what ja1myn has been saying, beginning with the title of this thread.

I hope the OP does visit and actually gets to know some of the people here in Mississippi. Sadly, s/he will probably limit interactions to hotel staffs, restaurant workers, and the occasional gas station attendant. Maybe a few law enforcement officers on the highways, too I expect s/he will return to wherever they come from with the opinion that Mississippi wouldn't be a bad place, if it weren't for all those Mississippians.

I do recognize the "NY culture" in the OP statements. It's ignorance on display. I saw more overt racism in the few years I lived in the northeast than I have seen living in the South, even Mississippi, for over 16 years.

ColdAilment, the numbers are the numbers, no arguing them. Yes Mississippi has problems, but we also have indoor plumbing, electricity, dental care, and laws against incest. That sees to come as a shock to some who are completely ignorant. For a lot of reasons, Mississippi has lagged behind the country but that is no reason to be apologetic or allow people like ja1myn to be so condescending as to feel sorry for people s/he knows NOTHING about.

I apologize to anyone who reads my posts and takes offense; I certainly intended none.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,800,678 times
No problem p-squared. Take my posts as you want to. At least some of the Mississippians on here were able to have a normal conversation with me.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,107,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
It wasn't a backhanded compliment. I was just saying that everywhere I live it seems like no one really likes MS. There's no reason for anyone to get offended by my OP.

I go everywhere with an open mind. That's not an issue. No where is like NY or CT or ATL since everywhere is different. It's not hard for me to accept that.

A small delta town sounds cool. Thank you for the link.
You should see what we Think about NY!!!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,583,053 times
Quote:
3 Doors Down hell yeah!

I am a big history buff so I think I'll like all those types of elements in MS. Hoping to see a lot of old school things, ya know? Like war museums or monuments or things of that nature.

It's unfortunate that growing up in NY and CT the history courses never really teach us anything about southern states. I just remember hearing about them and some famous battles that took place in them and having to memorize where they were on the map, but that's it. Hopefully I'll be able to see what "the real South" is like.
If it makes you feel better*, we Southerners don't get taught much about the NE and Midwestern states, or usually not even any other southern states - except where they are on a map (with perhaps a passing glance at "industry", "farm", and so forth). This is part of a general national problem in our education system. It's too bad, because if taught correctly, even so-called "boring" areas do have fascinating differences in living, even if watered down these days by late 20th/early 21st century technology, transportation, and communication.

*Added: due to charges of patronizing, I realized now my first words likely are patronizing as well. My apologies for my choice of words.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,583,053 times
As for Atlanta/rest-of-Georgia...I'd be amazed if there weren't a similar Chicago/rest-of-Illinois tension, or NYC/"Upstate" tension. Same for L.A.-S.F/ Inland California one. The list is as long as there are major cities and their home states.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You should see what we Think about NY!!!!!
Thank you for the pointless, irrelevant comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
If it makes you feel better*, we Southerners don't get taught much about the NE and Midwestern states, or usually not even any other southern states - except where they are on a map (with perhaps a passing glance at "industry", "farm", and so forth). This is part of a general national problem in our education system. It's too bad, because if taught correctly, even so-called "boring" areas do have fascinating differences in living, even if watered down these days by late 20th/early 21st century technology, transportation, and communication.

*Added: due to charges of patronizing, I realized now my first words likely are patronizing as well. My apologies for my choice of words.
I agree that it is a flaw in the education system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
As for Atlanta/rest-of-Georgia...I'd be amazed if there weren't a similar Chicago/rest-of-Illinois tension, or NYC/"Upstate" tension. Same for L.A.-S.F/ Inland California one. The list is as long as there are major cities and their home states.
I don't know about other cities, but yes, there is a ton of NYC/Upstate tension. It's pretty funny to me. I lived in both areas and the natives of each region throw around some hilarious comments. Upstate people seem to be afraid of NYC while NYCers seem to be afraid of being too bored in upstate.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,791,102 times
You know, I just wanted to comment on this issue of Asians, specifically the Chinese, in MS. I had no idea that there was a large emigration of Chinese to MS. I first learned about it, living in TN, reading Iris Chang's The Chinese in America: A Narrative History. This is not something that was ever taught in my MS history or social studies classes. Still, it's fascinating. I have not read the book, but I have Lotus among the Magnolias: The Mississippi Chinese by Robert Seto Quan on my to read list.

I think it's harsh to berate someone for not knowing about minority groups living in a state. For example, before moving to MI, I didn't know that MI has one of the largest concentrations of Muslim Americans in the country, living in metro Detroit. I sure hope Michiganders would forgive my not knowing that.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 PM

^^^ thank you for posting those titles. Definitely want to look into them.

Of course I knew that any race can be found somehow in any state, but when I think of MS, a noticeable Chinese population isn't usually what first comes to mind.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 AM

40 posts, read 70,627 times
Quote:
At least some of the Mississippians on here were able to have a normal conversation with me.
I would be happy to have a normal conversation with you, but I cannot get past the insults, implied or otherwise, and your patronizing tone.

You say you're coming to MS from Atlanta for a couple days this summer. Here's how you can save yourself some gas money. Stay in Georgia. Eat only Waffle House, Popeye's, and Krispy Kreme for three days. After three days, you will have experienced everything MS has to offer, you will have gained complete understanding of why people hate on MS, and you will have saved yourself gas money and wear&tear on your vehicle. A win for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi