U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 PM

93 posts, read 204,387 times

Advertisements

MS has an existing "trigger" law on the books which bans abortion. If Roe v Wade were overturned, this MS law banning abortion would go into effect immediately.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 AM

3,418 posts, read 2,922,870 times
Here are two issues that pro-life activist in this forum can't seem to answer:

1. You have the highest teen pregnancy rate in the country, yet you are going to close the only abortion clinic you have left. Your solution to the high teen pregnancy is to teach abstinence. Now i'm not from Mississippi, but I would assume that abstinence is been taught, potential for stds exist, and lectures about teen pregnancy has been taught already, so that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Whats your next solution? Teaching abstinence isn't working.

2. Because your women won't be able to get an abortion legally, you can bet plenty of them will try to do it themselves, which will naturally be more dangerous, and put the woman's health at more risk. For the ones that actually carry out the pregnancy, a large portion of them, are going to end up on welfare, food stamps, Medicare rolls, and every other government program under the sun, and you pro-life people will bitching and complaining about your taxes going to all those losers who can't keep their legs closed and having babies they can't afford.

Now what I just typed isn't some hypothetical situation, its called everyday life. So answer me this pro-lifers, if you don't want your taxes going to people on welfare, you don't want people to have an abortion, and your abstinence teaching has proven to be a failure, what is the solution?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM

22,155 posts, read 13,723,028 times
Nighttrain asks the unanswerable.

The people of Mississippi rejected the "personhood amendment" by a wide margin, indicating the people would rather each woman make that choice.

The politicians of Mississippi are closing the abortion clinic, not the people. They, they politicians, have decided that they know best and although federal law says they may not close the clinic, the law makes no mention of what obstacles may be placed in the path of someone wanting what they are legally entitled to.

We will continue to have the highest teen rate in the nation as long as the media celebrates statements along the line of "it's my body, and if I want to have a baby, then I will".

Mississippi has not grown in real terms since the Civil War. I don't look for that to change. I like living here, but we ain't going anywhere philosophically. I think there needs to be a billboard on every corner in Mississippi declaring (rightly) that the surest path to poverty is teen pregnancy and single motherhood.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

The people of Mississippi rejected the "personhood amendment" by a wide margin, indicating the people would rather each woman make that choice.

The politicians of Mississippi are closing the abortion clinic, not the people. They, they politicians, have decided that they know best and although federal law says they may not close the clinic, the law makes no mention of what obstacles may be placed in the path of someone wanting what they are legally entitled to.

We will continue to have the highest teen rate in the nation as long as the media celebrates statements along the line of "it's my body, and if I want to have a baby, then I will".

Mississippi has not grown in real terms since the Civil War. I don't look for that to change. I like living here, but we ain't going anywhere philosophically. I think there needs to be a billboard on every corner in Mississippi declaring (rightly) that the surest path to poverty is teen pregnancy and single motherhood.
its not unanswerable, its pro-life people refusing to acknowledge the reality of the situation and wanting to have their cake and eat too. They refuse to support abortion, but then complain about the welfare babies that are made. They claim that abstinence is the answer, BUT THEY HAVE HIGHEST TEEN PREGNANCY RATE IN THE COUNTRY. Their abstinence program is a failure.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
..... Their abstinence program is a failure.
If it exists (I have never heard of such a program) it is, indeed, a failure. And if it is a failure here, it is a failure everywhere. I maintain that adolescents in Mississippi fornicate about as often as adolescents in any other state. Including yours. Telling them not to do it doesn't work in your state and doesn't work in Mississippi. Excessive fornication is not the problem, so abstinence is not the solution.

It's a cultural problem here. Among a large portion of Mississippians, there is no stigma attached to a young unmarried girl being pregnant. None at all. They show off their baby tummies on Facebook all the time. And they see no problem. I do, but they don't.

Being poor is not painful for those mothers. They and their new baby will qualify for numerous programs, just like their mothers did, and they will set about sabotaging their lives so that they do not ever make so much money that they disqualify. You could put an abortion clinic on every corner and not improve things one bit, because to them being pregnant is not a problem; it is a solution.

Politicians are busy making abortion difficult; not the people of Mississippi. We wouldn't vote for the personhood amendment which would kill the abortion clinic, so our representatives are going about it another way. I'm sure the politicians all feel as if they are doing Gods work.

The good news for you is that the people we are talking about almost never migrate to another state. So you don't have to worry about them. Or the rest of us.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,977,129 times
Quote:
Being poor is not painful for those mothers. They and their new baby will qualify for numerous programs, just like their mothers did, and they will set about sabotaging their lives so that they do not ever make so much money that they disqualify. You could put an abortion clinic on every corner and not improve things one bit, because to them being pregnant is not a problem; it is a solution.
There's certainly a segment of the poor that have no hope, and see no future beyond what their own parents did. I'm not convinced that there's a concious effort to get pregnant. Instead, it's more of an "Oh, well, whatever" attitude.

As to why conservative Mississippians seem to have conflicting beliefs (want to close abortion clinics, while teaching abstinence, and cutting support programs). Near as I can tell, the MS conservative approaches their beliefs from an Old Testament biblical point of view, where the fear of God and repentence for your sins is the only way to salvation. And if you do things that are against this viewpoint, then you should be punished harshly, not assisted in any way. There is no Christian love in their beliefs, although they certainly call themselves Christians. In their minds, abortion is wrong, fornication is wrong, and "welfare" simply enables those two things, so it must be eliminated.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
There's certainly a segment of the poor that have no hope, and see no future beyond what their own parents did. I'm not convinced that there's a concious effort to get pregnant. Instead, it's more of an "Oh, well, whatever" attitude.

As to why conservative Mississippians seem to have conflicting beliefs (want to close abortion clinics, while teaching abstinence, and cutting support programs). Near as I can tell, the MS conservative approaches their beliefs from an Old Testament biblical point of view, where the fear of God and repentence for your sins is the only way to salvation. And if you do things that are against this viewpoint, then you should be punished harshly, not assisted in any way. There is no Christian love in their beliefs, although they certainly call themselves Christians. In their minds, abortion is wrong, fornication is wrong, and "welfare" simply enables those two things, so it must be eliminated.
I think you go too far with the comment about fornication and welfare, but the rest of your post has some merit. At least more merit than I could challenge successfully.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 PM

554 posts, read 574,028 times
Quote:

That's sad. It's as if the state is a third-world country, apart from the rest of the U.S. It shouldn't be like that. This is the product of religious fanaticism.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
If it exists (I have never heard of such a program) it is, indeed, a failure. And if it is a failure here, it is a failure everywhere. I maintain that adolescents in Mississippi fornicate about as often as adolescents in any other state. Including yours. Telling them not to do it doesn't work in your state and doesn't work in Mississippi. Excessive fornication is not the problem, so abstinence is not the solution.

It's a cultural problem here. Among a large portion of Mississippians, there is no stigma attached to a young unmarried girl being pregnant. None at all. They show off their baby tummies on Facebook all the time. And they see no problem. I do, but they don't.

Politicians are busy making abortion difficult; not the people of Mississippi. We wouldn't vote for the personhood amendment which would kill the abortion clinic, so our representatives are going about it another way. I'm sure the politicians all feel as if they are doing Gods work.

The good news for you is that the people we are talking about almost never migrate to another state. So you don't have to worry about them. Or the rest of us.
I call BS to blaming it on the politicians. All who vote for them are aware of their stances on abortion. If you don't want your taxes going to paying for welfare babies and food stamps, don't vote for politicians who will enact laws to make sure abortion is no longer to be provided.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 AM

2,413 posts, read 3,977,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I call BS to blaming it on the politicians. All who vote for them are aware of their stances on abortion. If you don't want your taxes going to paying for welfare babies and food stamps, don't vote for politicians who will enact laws to make sure abortion is no longer to be provided.
Sarcasm, or is this what you really think? That poor women would be lining up for abortions if it wasn't for this state's actions to restrict them? That every abortion is a reduction in welfare and food stamps? That if we put an abortion clinic on every corner, we could abortion ourselves right out of having any poverty, since the poor would no longer procreate?

Seems to me the people most likely to have abortions are those who have options in their life, those who are trying to go to college, or already have a large family, or are in the midst of the key earning years in their career. In other words, not necessarily the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi